Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

New pushchair for premature baby

(11 Posts)

Hi, I was planning to have dd in a sling or in the car seat on a Quinny zapp for short outings. Moving up to our maclaren quest when a bit bigger. Well, she arrived a scary 10 weeks early and is likely to be home from the nicu in the next couple of weeks. Hanging out in the car seat is out as it's not great for breathing in premature babies although it would never have been for more than 20 mins at a time but I don't want to take the risk.

Basically I adore my maclaren, I have 3 other children and one is a wheelchair user so I need something really easy to push and quite compact because although we have a Galaxy we will be full to the brim with 4 children and a wheelchair.

I've looked at the maclaren techno xt as it claims to be suitable from birth but I really think I would like her to be parent facing when she is so little. So any recommendations? Not to heavy, super easy to fold, I can't be doing with removing bits before folding.

We are considering the maxi cosi loola but can't actually see it 'in the flesh' in any shops near us. The only other slightly pants bit is that it has to come from mothercare as we got given loads of vouchers from dh's work when dd was born.

Hoping you will have some ideas. smile

madwomanacrosstheroad Wed 05-Feb-14 23:26:34

I had the looks- it was not that great. Quite bulky and suspension was not great. Forward facing the seat unit was strange. With a premature winter baby I would go for something with a carrycot. I also with one of mine (have 5) a 2nd hand bugaboo and while it first seemed a bit complicated to fold, once I got the knack of it it was the best and easiest pram ever. Also with a seven seated and wheelchair space will be limited and once I got my head round it felt the chameleon took up very little space. Got it in a zafira with all seven seats up.

Ihateparties Thu 06-Feb-14 11:14:54

I have seen the new loola a couple of times, it looks good imo and the fold is good for limited boot space. Well.. It's not small really but a useful shape for small boots, i'm not totally sure how that would work alongside other stuff you have to fit in. What shape of fold do you think is best?
If you like umbrella folds then the njoy petite star bubble could work for you, it's not totally flat but suitable from birth and I'm sure I saw a soft cot on it at some point. Will look for a link. The babyzen yoyo 0+ could be great if you have the budget, it's tiny, parent facing, light, easy. Only real downside is cost and loss of parent facing when pramette part outgrown.

MiaowTheCat Fri 07-Feb-14 08:53:08

I found that something I could put a "proper" carrycot on was best when DD1 was born (she was only 7 weeks prem though) - but even then I had to fill out the bottom of the carrycot with rolled up blankets as everytime I went up a kerb she'd slide down and disappear otherwise! We had some cheapo crappy Hauck but the fact it came with a carrycot bit was bloody handy! Second time around we bought a Britax with their soft carrycot on the logic that we'd be up against hte same issues if DD2 came early - their carrycot has a holding strap bit to stop the slide down factor. However although DD2 was technically 4 weeks premature - she was 7lb so much less of an issue!

TheresLotsOfFarmyardAnimals Fri 07-Feb-14 08:57:18

The Mac xt has a soft carrycot that makes it parent facing if you want an umbrella fold. It straps onto the fully reclined seat. We did the same idea with the baby jogger city mini carry cot & still use it in buggy form at 20 months.

TheresLotsOfFarmyardAnimals Fri 07-Feb-14 09:02:27

I meant the XLR. This video is quite good to see how the carrycot works

www.youtube.com/watch?v=171GREjJM3Q

I have a maclaren techo xlr for dd and have used it from birth. I bought the additional carrycot bit for it this here which faces you.

Artandco Fri 07-Feb-14 17:07:36

Take a look at the new babyzen yoyo 0+. Folds tiny, parent faces, and makes a cocoon. You could add sheepskin liner for extra comfort. Would be perfect as is so small folded you could hang off back of wheelchair/ in bag when not in use

I was going to suggest the yoyo but someone beat me to it. It really is fantastic, very very light, the fold isn't difficult once you get the hang of it and it's so small folded it's almost unbelievable. They have just brought out a new version that parent faces I think called the 0+
I have the 6+ as my chuck in and out of the car pushchair and I can fit it in the footwell behind my daughters rear facing car seat it's so small. Lovely and light to push aswell

Tiggywunkle Mon 10-Feb-14 10:23:38

The YoYo 0+ is absolutely gorgeous and is amazing but I am a little dubious about recommending it for a prem baby because I am not sure how tight the harness will go. I am hoping to try it out with a small baby this week, so will have a better idea then. Have you considered getting the Zapp Xtra and - or even just the seat for your Zapp and investing in a good baby cocoon to go on top? Again look at how small the harness goes.

Artandco Mon 10-Feb-14 11:09:12

Tiggy, I think if you add a sheepskin liner it should be ok for small baby as will pad it out more plus make space smaller. The cover will be around also so acts as a double strap almost I guess as baby could fall out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now