Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Travel system for rural/farm life

(14 Posts)
ClearlyMoo Sun 02-Feb-14 16:29:07

I'm 26 weeks pregnant and starting to think about a travel system. We've been offered a lovely oyster one from a friend. However we live on a farm and baby due in May I'd like to be able to push along rough tracks/across fields if possible. Unsure what to do, if I should accepted very generous offer of travel system from friends then wait til baby is 6 months or so to get more farm friendly buggy.

Anyone with experience of using buggies/travel systems in rural surroundings would be much appreciated! Thanks for reading!

Rockchick1984 Sun 02-Feb-14 16:33:10

I'd suggest having one pushchair for shopping, out with friends etc, and either an off-road pushchair or simply a good sling for fields and around the farm. The oyster is fab but not going to be much use across a muddy field (trust me, I've tried!) smile

DoNotTellDH Sun 02-Feb-14 16:37:03

You need a mountain buggy or similar for on the farm!! I would use the Oyster in your car for out and about in town etc. as suggested above.

heather1 Sun 02-Feb-14 16:41:54

You could try looking for a second hand landrover pushchair on eBay. They are really amazing. Simple strong construction so nothing can go wrong. They come with a carry cot, detachable hood, basket and seat ( a bit like a hammock).
I just loved mine and it's great for countryside walks and folds up really small. Three wheeler and the wheels are removable too.

DoNotTellDH Sun 02-Feb-14 16:57:57

These are fab, as are land rover and Bob

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mountain-Buggy-Urban-Terrain-Single-Standard-Stroller-/331115675540?pt=UK_Baby_BabyTravel_Pushchairs_GL&hash=item4d18083f94

You can get a carrycot to attach but tbh with a young baby you may be better off with a sling.

BonaDea Sun 02-Feb-14 21:47:49

As soon as I read your thread I did think that what you need is a good sling rather than a pushchair.

Hermionewastherealhero Sun 02-Feb-14 22:13:56

I have horses so at a farm everyday, we bought an oyster and I managed walking up and down the lane with it but no good in mud. So I kept that for out and about in town etc, I got a 3 wheel mothercare xtreme off eBay for £20 and it is fab at the farm. It has done tracks, muddy/sludgy yard, cobbles all no problem. It is quite a big buggy, it lives in the tack shed and gets tied in the trailer for shows!

ClearlyMoo Mon 03-Feb-14 09:53:11

Thanks all! Very helpful! We'll definitely be getting a sling but mainly for OH to wear... I have quite a bad back (not pregnancy related) so will have to see how I get on with slings as baby grows... One assumes that to start with I'll be able to manage as baby will weigh less than baby+ gubbins I'm carrying round at point before giving birth!

Rockchick1984 Mon 03-Feb-14 10:35:55

If you get a decent sling (not baby bjorn type) you may be able to use it longer than you'd expect - my DH has a bad back but is able to comfortably use a Rose and Rebellion carrier as the weight is on his hips rather than back. Try to find a local sling meet, they will be able to offer the best advice smile

christilass Wed 05-Feb-14 21:20:48

Hi i live on a farm ... I have a Jane slalom its fantastic there is nothing it cant cope with ��

Magicstars Wed 05-Feb-14 21:24:08

We have a Quinny speedi which does well in the countryside.

Wittsend13 Wed 05-Feb-14 21:24:46

I lived on a farm and bought an I candy peach. Honestly we never used it and ended getting a stroller.

ClearlyMoo Sat 08-Feb-14 22:39:36

Thanks all!

Current plan is use friends Oyster babystyle for "town", sling to start on farm then get old Landrover pushchair or similar for farm from 6months... Unless I see a bargainous Jane Slalom with lay flat car seat on eBay...

Swifey Sat 08-Feb-14 22:48:38

Hi there, I have a Phil & Teds Vibe 3 wheeler and its totally amazing! I would recommend it to you definitely. We live in very rural Wiltshire, and I use it on all kinds of terrain when walking the dog, it is also very light, and easy to push and works equally wandering around Marlborough doing the shopping. Many people have commented on it, and my ds has used it since birth, now nearly 2. It also has the facility to be used as a double pushchair, if or when, another one comes along!! We bought ours off of eBay, it was a demonstrator from a shop, so was brand new. I just love it!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now