Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Travel system that is good for long walks?

(9 Posts)
HowAboutNo Sun 19-Jan-14 14:44:51

Looked at Bugaboo Cam, but can't bring myself to spend that much. Looked at the Uppababy Vista, liked it but also saw the Silver Cross Wayfarer and Britax Affinity.

Can you recommend a good travel system for long walks? The walking isn't an essential part of our life, as we have the cars, but we live in the countryside and want to take advantage of that. Walking with pram will be mostly on pavement, but I just want something that is comfortable for baby for long walks. For example, the walk into town is a 6 mile round trip.

Any recommendations welcome, very bored of this subject now!! thanks

Daisybell1 Sun 19-Jan-14 19:02:05

I have a Baby Jogger Summit xc. Its a serious off roader but incredibly comfortable to push on pavements etc - I have that length of walk into town too (although it is a little wide for the shops).

It takes a baby jogger carry cot (although not the tiny one I think). Would you be needing it to take the car seat (at a 6 mile round trip you'd be pushing it for the time a baby is supposed to stay in a car seat)? I think they do take car seats though (others will be on here soon to confirm which ones).

May be worth a look?

pickles184 Sun 19-Jan-14 19:18:22

Can 100% recommend the Jane Rider or Trider. Fantastic allrounder, there is the transporter carry cot/car seat which was vital for us due to necessary long drives ( it lays completely flat in the car so no need to worry about more than 2 hrs etc). All the different seats clip on and off with no fuss and the whole thing can be opened up one handed. I have a dog so do 2-3 mile walks twice a day and since birth one has been pushchair one in the sling. The pram is still on original wheels/tyres and has done some serious mileage both pavement and mild offroading without any obvious signs of wear or tear. Also plenty easy enough to take round the shops, although the basket is a bit small for carrying more than change bag and essentials.
I cannot speak high enough for the Jane system, worth every penny! If you're after 2nd hand they tend to go fairly cheap as people don't tend to have heard of them as much in uk.

MiconiumHappens Sun 19-Jan-14 21:03:29

I coveted a Quinny but could not justify in laws spending that much.

I did a lot of research and went for the Britax Vigour. It was amazing! I've since had a P&T, Mclaren, Maxi Cosi and Mamas and Papas ones and the Britax was by far the best for quality and usability smile

Don't think they do the Vigour anymore but have a look at Britax I highly recommend them. I don't know why I didn't buy another one!

I also did a lot of running with mine.

cupoftchai Sun 19-Jan-14 21:59:03

Does it have to be a travel system? Out and about nipper (actually i think the newest version has got car seat and carrycot adaptors) Brilliant all terrain buggy, pushes easily, real workhorse.

HowAboutNo Sun 19-Jan-14 22:35:10

Thank you for taking the time to answer! Am going to Google them all now.

It doesn't have to be a travel system, I'm just wanting it to be as easy and straightforward as possible as I'm going to be using it pretty much alone most of the time, and don't want it to be any harder than it needs to be! DH loved the Britax and the Silver Cross, but he'll be using it a lot less than me!

Mamas & Papas Sola. Which recommended!

pickles184 Mon 20-Jan-14 07:56:24

Have you got a Kiddicare nearby? They have a brilliant selection and generally knowledgeable staff. Best thing would be to narrow it down to a couple and then go ans try them out. You need to try them with weight in if possible as you'll get a better idea of handling. Also check you're happy with putting it up and down, how well it fits in your car if you have one and how easy it is to change between pram top, carry cot, car seat etc.. Likewise if having cosy toes, foot muff, rain cover, parasol then check the installation and removal of them.
Well worth checking getting car seat in and out of car and how securely it fixes.

All of this is much easier to learn before baby arrives and takes your normal brain faculties away for a few weeks/months/years grin

HowAboutNo Mon 20-Jan-14 14:44:04

Right! Decision made. Britax Affinity travel system - £408 in Mothercare and kiddicare with the free travel cot. I went and tried it out this morning and I'm happy enough with it. Got a £10 off code for mothercare for downloading and using their app so will be using that too... Every little helps! Thanks for all the advice ladies thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now