Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Help- what is the niftiest Maclaren?

(7 Posts)
ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Sun 12-Jan-14 16:39:17

Just need one for the nursery run. DD will be 6 months plus. What is the smallest Maclaren (as we will need to go on the packed train) you would recommend?

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Sun 12-Jan-14 16:45:13

I used to do the school run in subway without lifts at stations. I liked the triumph easy to carry and fold, but better when the child can walk and you don't have to carry it too. the volo is smaller but isn't really suitable for bad weather and if I remember correctly doesn't have the shoulder strap for carrying.
But for a 6 month old on the train, I would go with a ergo carrier or similar until baby is too big (in my case 1.7 yo).

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Sun 12-Jan-14 16:45:58

carry him/her not it! oops!

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Mon 13-Jan-14 14:14:56

Thank you!

The Quest is very light (6.5kg) and also comes with a raincover, which you will need for daily use. If you've got to provide nappies, food, milk, clothes etc you might find carrying the baby and all the gear and your work gear/handbag a bit much!

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Mon 13-Jan-14 15:16:27

Thank you! Weight is important but not key as there are lifts and escalators. Dimensions are key for us because of having to get on a potentially very crowded train. Was thinking of the Techno as saw some reviews where people were not too happy with the Quest (wear and tear on back wheels and quality of brakes). Carrying stuff won't be an issue ie anticipating only basics from time to time like change of clothes or coat.

AliceMum09 Tue 14-Jan-14 22:04:10

Definitely not the Techno on a packed train, it's one of the biggest and bulkiest Maclarens there is! It's the wheels that do it, yes they don't wear down like all the others do, but they are much bigger.

If it's just for the nursery run, the Volo is the lightest. It has a mesh seat, and a carry strap, and comes with a rain cover. It's only downside is that it doesn't recline, so they can't sleep comfortably in it at all. But that might not be an issue if it's not going to get that much use.

I have a Quest, it's probably just the same when folded as a Globetrotter or Triumph, but has more features, such as a better recline system and an extending footrest. The brakes on the Quest are fine, mine is a 2012 model and it has improved brakes from the 2006 one I had so maybe some reviews complaining about the brakes are referring to older ones.

I love my Maclarens, I've had a Techno XT, two Quests and a Volo! I really wish I had kept my original 2006 Quest, I've never found one with a design I've liked as much (red hood, black seat with red outer and red and white circles on the seat. The hood was edged in the seat material too)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now