Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

P&T promenade v Jane Twone

(11 Posts)
looki Sat 26-Oct-13 22:44:12

Hi, I'm looking for a double buggy for a toddler and newborn. I have pretty much ruled out side by side due to using public transport and I want at least one child to be rear facing at any one time. The only one that seems to do that is the MB Duet but I tried DD in it today and she is too tall for it already. I like the out and about nipper but neither seat is rear facing.

My criteria:
1. Must not be too long (city select ruled out)
2. Not too wide
3. Second seat must not be in the basket (P&T vibe etc)
4. Seats of similar size
5. Seats not too close together (iCandy ruled out)
6. Can't be too heavy as childminder is v. small (as am I) and we both need to be able to manage it comfortably.

I currently have a Bugaboo Cam. and love it and I suppose I'm half hearted about any of the ones I've seen so far because I'm reluctantly giving up using the cam.

Are there are inline prams that offer the child underneath any chance of seeing the outside world? I know I'll have to compromise and I saw the P&T prom. today and so far it has ticked most of my boxes. I've also been reviewing the Jane Twone but can't get to see one irl.

Anyone using either of the above and would you recommend?
Thank you.

Ihateparties Sat 26-Oct-13 23:05:19

Icandy and promenade seats are comparable I would say in terms of distance between them. The oyster max also. I had a twone and loved it but the second seat is both in the basket and closer to the upper one to any of the others mentioned. There are some pics on my profile.

In toddler and newborn set up I don't think the twone or promenade can have a child parent facing. The oyster Max can. If you have time to wait the peach blossom 3 will rear face.

Admittedly the lower seated child cannot see directly in front they can see all around and will naturally turn their heads. Personally I don't mind for toddlers who are out of the buggy reasonably often, I probably wouldn't put a full time pushchair occupant in a lower seat 100% of the time.

Imo the oyster max is closest to what you want and has the bonus of being light for a tandem and very easy to push.

looki Sun 27-Oct-13 00:44:19

With the P&T promenade one child can be parent facing. I saw it in this mode in the shop today.

I have been put off iCandys as the two seats look so close together, it has to be an awful ride for the child underneath. The shop assistant wasn't a fan of it either. Also two colleagues have them and once their child reached 18 months, they stopped using the buggy, one said her child was just too big for it and the other found it too heavy.

The Oyster Max looks quite neat. I must have a look at this one. I guess I like the promenade because it looked bigger than other tandems I've viewed and the second seat seemed like a separate full sized seat as opposed to a seat more suited to short trips only.

I think I've been spoiled by the cameleon and it's hard to find a double that is even close to it :-(

Artandco Sun 27-Oct-13 16:42:37

What age is toddler? Can you continue using cameleon and get a bugaboo board and twoo seat to attach?

looki Sun 27-Oct-13 20:07:39

She will be 20 months and although a fan of running off, she is not a fan of walking with me so def need a double. She is a complete chatterbox so want her rear facing so I can talk to her.

Tiggywunkle Sun 27-Oct-13 21:38:08

To be honest, I think you have made up your mind. However just to add the City Select is actually shorter than many tandems including a Phil & Teds because the seats sit within the chassis frame and don't overhang at the back. Hard to believe but its true.
On the iCandy Peach Blossom 2 there's a really good amount of space between the seats, and even more on the Apple 2 Pear. Both of these do actually give the child underneath a really good view out.

In terms of push, the Apple 2 Pear is definitely the lightest to push tandem of this ilk on the market, with the Babystyle Oyster Max close behind. The Twone is light to push and the Peach Blossom 2 is not bad either. Believe me there are MUCH heavier tandems on the market.

Parent facing on a tandem is not easy. Even if you can get parent facing, there's usually a compromise at some point whether its in the push, or the upper child's feet being too near the face of the baby.

Have you considered a Bugaboo Donkey given you love your Cam? Or A Stroll Air My Duo? These will give you great parent facing options but will still fit through a standard doorway.

looki Sun 27-Oct-13 22:44:11

Thanks for your reply. I've discounted the Donkey as its just too expensive and have never heard of the Stroll Air My Duo. I had a quick look on google and it looks perfect. I'd prefer a side by side but with public transport I had discounted them. The City Select looks v. long and I stopped a lady in the supermarket who had one and she said she found it v. hard to maneuver due to its length.

What one do you think is the best of the iCandys - am I right in thinking for space the Apple is better?

looki Sun 27-Oct-13 23:07:25

One more question please - what age children is the Oyster Max suitable for? DD1 is quite tall for her age and I'd like a buggy suitable to age 3.5 ideally? Thanks

Popps2905 Thu 31-Oct-13 09:47:12

ive got a peach blossom 2 and there is so much space between my youngest and eldest, definitely a great choice, it's very lightweight as well compared to some of the other tandems we looked at and i love how it still pushes as a single. my cousin has the new apple 2 pear which is similar to the peach but the basket is so much bigger and the whole weight is miles lighter than mine...not whinging about my peach but i'm well jell of how light Chelsea's apple 2 pear is!

For everything that you're looking for, i'd say icandy is spot on especially single to doubles! x

MiaowTheCat Thu 31-Oct-13 12:29:38

B-dual can possibly go parent facing for at least some age ranges of it - car seat on top and toddler on bottom would work and I pulled off 1 year old on top parent facing and newborn in carrycot on bottom for a while (but it was a pain accessing the carrycot doing it that way... wide and quite heavy though. I tried to have a similar list of requirements to you with my 11 month age gap and very tall kids and I'll confess that in the end I let go of the parent facing, decided tandems were being too much of a trade off and settled on a Nipper which I love as a walking pushchair, and I have a side by side stroller that lives in the car boot as well... but I don't get buses with either of them (nearest public transport to me is trams which are very accessible so it's less of a worry).

Tiggywunkle Fri 01-Nov-13 23:15:23

My DD was in the Oyster Max until after her 4th birthday. We didn't really need her in it at that stage but she humoured me wink. She was in the Peach Blossom until she was over 3 and a half, and in the Apple 2 Pear aged 4 and a half!

The space between the Apple 2 Pear seats is bigger than the Peach Blossom. But the Apple 2 Pear can also whizz faster than the Peach Blossom does. As a single there isnt much difference, but as a double, there certainly is!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now