Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Static/Electric shocks when out with pram?!

(14 Posts)
IndecisivePramBuyer81 Thu 10-Oct-13 20:51:00

Has anyone else experienced this?!

I wad out in town today with with DS in his Uppababy Cruz and every time I pushed a lift/road crossing button I got a shock! On one occasion there was even a blue spark and it got so bad I was using a muslin as a barrier! confused confused confused

IndecisivePramBuyer81 Sat 12-Oct-13 22:32:06

Must be just me then...!blush

OhTheDrama Sun 13-Oct-13 11:33:32

This used to happen all the time with my maclaren. It was really painful!

YDdraigGoch Sun 13-Oct-13 11:43:29

Can you add a grounding strap? Like the ones you can buy for cars.

IndecisivePramBuyer81 Sun 13-Oct-13 21:22:59

Ah interesting, I've never heard of this! I bet my Dad has one..this'll be a random text he's about to receive grin

VivaLeThrustBadger Sun 13-Oct-13 21:24:48

I used to get this but only in debenhams. But it was every ten seconds so I had to stop going in.

VivaLeThrustBadger Sun 13-Oct-13 21:26:13

Also at work I sometimes have to push a cart about. One particular lift always gives me a shock when I push the button, only when I've got the cart. The other lifts don't. I've tried jumping in the air at the same time as pressing the button but still get a shock.

DeathMetalMum Mon 14-Oct-13 21:48:43

I get it very often. Was in particular my pram rather than stroller. I took to using something I had in my handbag to push the button instead.

AllabouttheE Mon 14-Oct-13 22:27:11

Wearing uggs always gives me lots of shocks... Just saying !

IndecisivePramBuyer81 Tue 15-Oct-13 17:32:03

My Dad didn't have a grounding strap..not sure what I should be getting? interesting point about the uggs as I have mine on an awful lot! Hopefully when I start wearing gloves it'll be ok!! lol

YDdraigGoch Tue 15-Oct-13 20:49:43

Try Halfords or another car place for grounding strap. It fixes to the metal frame of the car and dangles on the ground, so the built up static electricity can discharge to earth.
Don't see why it wouldn't work for a pram too.

Otherwise, occasionally touch the ground with your fingertips to allow the electricity to discharge to earth.

IndecisivePramBuyer81 Fri 18-Oct-13 20:02:08

Is it one of these? What would be attached to the pram?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anti-Static-Wrist-Strap-Grounding-Discharge/dp/B004XBBYSY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382122893&sr=8-1&keywords=grounding+strap

IndecisivePramBuyer81 Fri 18-Oct-13 20:03:08
scarlet5tyger Sun 20-Oct-13 20:02:11

I get this a lot with a Maclaren too! Sometimes even from the handle itself. Luckily most kids love pushing the buttons to call the lift, otherwise I use my elbow or handbag. Must look ridiculous!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now