Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Buggies for tall Mums and Dads

(31 Posts)
alecialondon Tue 24-Sep-13 17:47:25

Hi ladies

DH and I are expecting our first in December and have been doing the obligatory buggy reasearch and getting very confused! We were sold on the Oyster Max (we initially thought we'd get one that could go tandem), but having tried the Stokke I realised how valuable a nice high seat is given we are 5"10 and 6"1 and also the great view for the baby..... But the total lack of storage and complex fold has put me off. So we started looking around for tall buggies and found the Mima buggies and think they look fabulous, but haven't seen one in the flesh yet.

So I was wondering what advice other tall parents out there might have? In terms of what we need in a buggy....we're based in SW London, do our big shop at the supermarket or online, will use occassionally on grass/rough surfaces and travel fairly often (back to Aus w baby & buggy in Feb!).

Also, I saw on another post that someone suggested attaching the Joolz XL shopper to the Mima....great idea, but has anyone actually tried this?

Thanks in advance!
A

DrinkFeckArseGirls Tue 24-Sep-13 17:51:32

Stokke

DoItTooJulia Tue 24-Sep-13 17:51:35

I'm tall and find the uppababy vista and Maclaren techno xt the most comfy to push for my height.

Interested to hear of any others out there!

alecialondon Tue 24-Sep-13 22:14:34

Thanks smile We really like the Stokke, but the lack of storage put us off. Uppababy Vista is definitely on our list too, seems like a great all-rounder.

notjustamummythankyou Tue 24-Sep-13 22:18:48

We bought the Stokke for this very reason! It's now four years old and on to its second child and still looking good. Highly recommend it smile.

By the way, I can fit 3 full supermarket bags in the front storage bag and of course there's the changing bag to hang off the back. I walk everywhere and rarely have to resort to hanging bags of the handle bars.

notjustamummythankyou Tue 24-Sep-13 22:20:38

Oh and regarding folding it up: there is a knack but once you've got it, it's easy. Promise!

SmallBee Tue 24-Sep-13 22:22:54

I'm 5'3 but my Husband is 6'4 so it was a bit of a pain trying to find something to suit us both, in the end we got the Uppababy Vista, it has an extendable handle which is great for us both. Husband has a long stride whilst walking so he tried a lot of them out and this was one of a few he didn't end up kicking as he did. it also comes with big wheels which is great for 'off road' surfaces. Still waiting for the baby to arrive and try it out though!

pyrrah Tue 24-Sep-13 22:32:01

Stokke - loved mine. Also fits on public transport really easily as the footprint is so small.

steppemum Tue 24-Sep-13 22:34:43

we are tall, and went round shops with a measuring tape grin

we ended up with a maclaren techno, very comfortable. we also needed lightweight and foldable with one hand, which it is.

Sarahplane Tue 24-Sep-13 22:36:57

My Dh is fairly tall and we have the Maclaren Xlr which folds really easily too.

MortifiedAdams Tue 24-Sep-13 22:37:54

Ditto the XLR

blondieminx Tue 24-Sep-13 22:46:20

I'm 5'8", DH is 6'5"

We went for the iCandy Apple then when DD was older (18m) and we wanted a more lightweight buggy, we got the McLaren XT techno. Both v comfy to push and would recommend them both smile

Tiggywunkle Wed 25-Sep-13 13:08:46

I have the Bugaboo Buffalo and the handle on that seems to go on forever. TBH I haven't fully extended it yet! The iCandy Apple also has a really high handle, as does the new iCandy Raspberry (which was right up into my chest when fully extended). The Vista has a high handle too. I love Mima's. I had the Kobi and the chassis and push is like nothing else. Gorgeous. But the seat is quite bulky to store. The Joolz XL basket attaches to several pushchairs so I have seen.

crescentmoon Fri 27-Sep-13 04:56:46

Iv just bought the stokke xplory (used, online)- because I wanted a tall pushchair that I didn't need to hunch over for this my fourth and last child! Looking forward to having good posture now when out and about I love the height. Didnt know about the uppababy- I'm searching for the sibling board for the xplory so ds/ can ride on it which will effect by stride abit but not my back

Forgetfulmog Fri 27-Sep-13 05:01:05

Joolz Day - it's the cheapest of the tall buggies & there's really not much difference between it & the Stokke. I'm 5'8" btw

laughingeyes2013 Fri 27-Sep-13 05:05:38

iCandy peach jogger has an extendable handle which is suitable for my very tall husband.

You might want to also consider the carrycot and pushchair seat height too - its not all about the pushing and you'll do an awful lot of bending down very low (on some makes more than others) which can be really bad for your back!

WinnieF Fri 27-Sep-13 05:22:58

My husband and I are both tall, and we went for the Uppababy Vista because if the extendable handles and huge shopping basket. DD is now one month old, and we both love going for walks with her in the Uppababy

notjustamummythankyou Fri 27-Sep-13 06:17:05

crescent - I've got a lascale maxi buggy board on my stokke and it fits perfectly. Cheaper, too! (You have to turn the handlebars up to a vertical position to created headroom though)

galwaygirl Fri 27-Sep-13 06:46:30

We had an Xplory and a Maclaren Techno XT for Dd. using a Britax B-dual at the moment which is not too bad heightwise at all as we need a double. Hoping to get my Xplory out again with DD on buggyboard. The Xplory isn't too bad for space as you for a lot in the shopping bag and can have hanging bag attached to its specific place. I use a mummy clip or whatever they're called to hang light bags from the handle if I need to.

crescentmoon Fri 27-Sep-13 08:20:38

notjust i actually looked it up in archives and had got the impression that the lascale wouldnt fit! i had one when ds2 was younger for dd to ride on and it was great but gave it away when dd got older as thought i wouldnt ever need it again. thanks so much im definitely on it now - as you said the lascale is cheaper (relative though, i remember its 50ish?). even with the stokke sibling board im only looking for one on ebay, cant believe a brand new one is 80 odd pounds. but before then i need to check the serial number of the pushchair i have as i read the sibling board only fits onto those with a particular serial number and up.

notjustamummythankyou Fri 27-Sep-13 09:46:49

Crescent - I read the same, but then saw someone with a lascal buggyboard on her Stokke. I accosted her, and asked how easy it was to fit / use and she said 'very'! smile .

I did a bit of digging and found that Lascal have a 'fitfinder' website where you can stick in your brand of pushchair and it tells you how to fit the brackets. Here's the page about fitting a buggyboard on a Stokke Xplory.

My Stokke is nearly 5 years old now, so I the Stokke buggyboard won't fit. I do believe, though, that if you have a couple of screwholes on the back wheel axle just behind the back wheels (they may be covered with plastic plugs) then it'll probably be compatible. Mine doesn't have these.

(And sorry, OP, for the mini-hijack!)

notjustamummythankyou Fri 27-Sep-13 09:49:50

Crikey - Mothercare is asking £87 for the Stokke buggyboard shock

cleanandclothed Fri 27-Sep-13 12:08:23

DH is 6'6'', I am 5'6''. We have a Stokke and love it. Don't think the Uppababy existed when I bought ours (got it second hand over 5 years ago). I do my shopping with it and manage to fit a weeks worth of shopping in in using the bottom bag, a rucksack and a bag slung on the handles. The newer stockers have clips for a bag at the front as well.

As well as looking at the height of the handles we looked at the height of the baby - because we wnated to be able to interact with the baby as close as possible.

crescentmoon Fri 27-Sep-13 16:56:17

thanks for that link notjust, im very happy for the great info, will definitely go with the lascale so. i do like the fact that the baby is so high in the stokke, really looking forward to baby coming now just so i can go out and about with her/him!

notjustamummythankyou Fri 27-Sep-13 18:58:41

You're welcome, crescent! I love my (sorry, the dc's) stokke. Easy to push, and the DCs have both loved sitting high up - no boring views of just knees! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now