Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Sheepskin lined footmuff, recipe for disaster?

(30 Posts)
minipie Sun 25-Aug-13 16:00:57

I am terribly tempted by a Kaiser sheepskin lined footmuff for my Bee (pricey but semi justified on the basis that it does the job of both a sheepskin liner and a footmuff --and I want one dammit--)

But... I am guessing these sheepskin footmuffs can't just be bunged in the washing machine when they get grubby. My LO isn't walking yet but I presume that once they are walking any footmuff gets pretty grubby? so am I better off with a washable footmuff and a separate sheepskin liner if I want the sheepiness iyswim?

thanks!

minipie Sun 25-Aug-13 16:01:54

oops, strikethrough fail. not sure what I did wrong there. humph.

CruCru Sun 25-Aug-13 20:36:03

I think you can wash it on a very gentle setting with detergent specifically for wool (at least you can for the John Lewis liner).

I have one from Baa Baby and got a lot of love from the general public last winter - seems when it is utterly freezing it makes people really happy to see a baby wrapped up in a sheepskin footmuff.

CruCru Sun 25-Aug-13 20:37:02

Just take the shoes off before you put them in the buggy. Things are for using.

thenightsky Sun 25-Aug-13 20:43:36

DD had one years ago - think mid 80s.

I just used to take her shoes off to go in it. It went 2 winters and never a wash.

thenightsky Sun 25-Aug-13 20:44:33

Gah... posted too soon.

Meant to say.. well you wouldn't wash Ugg boots would you?

forevergreek Sun 25-Aug-13 20:51:35

We wash ours in the machine on delicate with wool wash. Probably 10 times and its fine

minipie Mon 26-Aug-13 09:08:45

'Just take the shoes off'

For some reason this didn't even occur to me as an idea

<slaps forehead>

Thanks all. now I can justify buying it grin

CruCru Mon 26-Aug-13 13:39:08

It's much more snuggly wuggly when they are in their socks as well.

Buy the thing. It will make you happy to see your child in it.

Yespleasetotea Mon 26-Aug-13 21:48:18

I wash my sheepskin liner on a wool cycle with wool detergent AND my Ugg boots. smile

AidanTheRevengeNinja Tue 27-Aug-13 11:31:44

I have one. I have got more compliments on it from complete strangers than on all other baby items combined, including the actual baby grin

DS (6 mo) adores it and strokes it possessively. It is brilliant because he hates having jumpers or coats put on, so I just bung him in in his indoor clothes and zip up or down the muff according to temperature.

Buy buy buy. I also have a Bee incidentally and bought the John Lewis sheepskin footmuff which works fine in it, and is machine washable - bit cheaper than the Kaiser but at £120 there's not much in it.

minipie Tue 27-Aug-13 19:24:55

right I'm convinced! just need to decide what colour ... black to match pram, red cos it's fun or blue as it suits dd... <frivolous>

grin at 'including the actual baby'

annoyingly the special offers on amazon have now ended, might wait to see if they come back...

CruCru Tue 27-Aug-13 22:56:01

Have you thought about grey? Looks great and doesn't show up dirt as quickly.

Baa Baby are having a sale (may only be on Felhof though).

DoItTooJulia Tue 27-Aug-13 23:10:06

Quick hijack, sorry OP.

Anyone know which, if any of the Baa Baby ones fit the Uppababy Vista, they only mention Bugaboos on their site...

CruCru Tue 27-Aug-13 23:15:21

I bought the Felhof premium or luxury for my Uppababy (the one that fits the Cameleon will fit the Vista).

CruCru Tue 27-Aug-13 23:15:52

Or you could email them - they reply super fast.

DoItTooJulia Wed 28-Aug-13 07:19:20

Thanks!

minipie Wed 28-Aug-13 09:14:46

Anyone who has a sheepskin footmuff on their Bee (either the kaiser or John lewis one) - is it too long in parent facing mode? as in, does it get in the way of the brake? I know the bugaboo branded footmuff is a bit long on the bee and wondering if this will have the same ishoo.

AidanTheRevengeNinja Wed 28-Aug-13 19:20:54

Minipie - the John Lewis one hangs over the edge of the seat but is nowhere near the brake so doesn't get in the way of anything. I use the ties at the top of footmuff to tie it to the plastic hood hooks, if that makes sense (slip them under the hood and tie), which holds it up more securely.

I always use my Bee parent facing and have had the backrest in all three positions. I can also fold it parent facing with the footmuff quite easily, which I'd heard was a problem with the branded footmuff.

You can always buy the JL one and test it out carefully on your pram, and return if it doesn't suit. though I bet you'll never let it go once you feel it

OP - my vote is for black - really striking, especially if it matches your pram. Have you seen this? Mine looks very similar.

AidanTheRevengeNinja Wed 28-Aug-13 19:22:41

I sound like the official Bugaboo Bee Sheepskin Evangelist blush grin

CruCru Wed 28-Aug-13 20:27:53

Oooh, that does look smart.

minipie Thu 29-Aug-13 17:00:12

oh thanks Aidan, the JL one sounds good to me and good point about returning. yes my bee is black (black hood silver frame). does the JL one work as a liner too ie can the top bit be removed?

AidanTheRevengeNinja Thu 29-Aug-13 18:18:34

Yes it can, it just unzips. Though I must confess I am too lazy to do it and just zip it all the way down when it's hot smile

minipie Thu 29-Aug-13 18:23:48

<gets out credit card>

AidanTheRevengeNinja Thu 29-Aug-13 19:55:36

grin

Oh I just remembered - because I am a perfectionist and wanted the sheepskin to sit just right, I also used a bit of cord to tie the loops on the side to the lower hood hooks. This makes it extra secure and it looks like it was made for it. This will all probably make more sense once you have it but PM me if it doesn't!

We have the same Bee btw - I will have a buggy twin!

<reminds self to get out more>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now