Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Don't know where to start - Recommendations needed please!

(13 Posts)
Poppy954 Fri 09-Aug-13 10:39:35

Hi,

I'm pregnant with my third baby but have a big gap and got rid of all my baby stuff. There seems to be so much more choice in prams/ pushchairs than last time I bought one and have no idea where to start!

I need something that is suitable from birth to about 3 years, I want to be able to attach a car seat straight onto it, particularly for the school run.

It needs to be suitable for all terrains as I live in a rural area.

Ideally would like it to have a parent facing option for the early months and long handles for taller parents is a must.

I don't have a set budget but will probably aim mid price range.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Ihateparties Fri 09-Aug-13 18:58:18

If you aren't bothered about parent facing beyond the carrycot stage then I would start by looking at things like the out n about nipper, baby joggers -citymini gt, elite or summit depending on the level of off road you're looking for, a used mountain buggy (build quality was better when they were still new zealand made) or maybe a bob.

If you did want parent facing beyond carrycot stage then there's the odd thread on here about the jane trider working okay for people in rural situations otherwise it's a fairly small list. If not too rough off road then an icandy peach jogger perhaps, a tfk x4 or joggster with multi x carrycot and 3 or 4 other things i seem to have momentarily forgotten...

Tiggywunkle Fri 09-Aug-13 22:50:16

For tall handles look at the Uppababy Vista and the iCandy Apple 2 Pear. I dont know if those will be enough 'all terrain' for you though? Parties has given you really the best parent facing all terrains but the choice is fairly limited.

redwellybluewelly Fri 09-Aug-13 22:57:36

Mountain Buggy Urban Jungle

Honestly.

I had an iCandy apple three Wheeler for DC1, it did ok, carrycot a nice size, tipped easily, bit of a faff to fold sometimes - ace shopping basket but DC1 now 3 and tall and its too small. What I wanted was a MB when I was shopping but no stockists nearby. I've just bought a used one. Pushes like a dream. Doesn't tip. Both newborn and tall three year old go in it so with a buggy board and a sling I can avoid needing a double. Its fantastic.

Poppy954 Sat 10-Aug-13 06:16:12

Thank you for the replies, I appreciate you all taking the tine. All terrain was maybe a bit of an exageration, just suitable for country paths. I'll have a look at all of those. Redwelly, does the mountain buggy have a car seat attachment?

lolalotta Sat 10-Aug-13 06:31:51

We have a Britax parent facing model, sorry can't remember the name! It's a three wheeler, just under £300.00. I used to live in the country and it coped fine with country lanes and am about to unpack it for DC no.2 due in a few weeks! It has a car seat attachment too.

SunnyIntervals Sat 10-Aug-13 07:41:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

redwellybluewelly Sat 10-Aug-13 08:24:32

Yes it does. What really surprises me with the MBUJ (and I am not a buggy expert) is how simple but yet robust the frame is. There are differences between the models and where it was made but I met someone the other day with one od the original fixed handle ones qhoch had gone through five children across two families and still looked pretty much brand new!

I like it but its not for everyone, quite long and wide. It suits us as a family.

lolalotta Sat 10-Aug-13 08:58:35

Does the mountain buggy parent face Red?

Ihateparties Sat 10-Aug-13 09:57:06

No urban jungles they don't parent face unless you get the face to face seat, which is fixed in a semi recline position and only suitable to 9kg iirc so limited useage.

If you need robust for paths rather than genuinely all terrain then you have more options. The vista is apparently excellent in these situations, where ground is rough but not majorly off road. Someone linked to an excellent deal here.

If you're looking at a lower budget than that then I'm still thinking, there are still loads of options. It doesn't have a parent facing beyond the carrycot option but as a longer term stroller the britax b motion is pretty good and takes the britax full size carrycot, the affinity might be okay on paths but i'm not sure.

Poppy954 Sat 10-Aug-13 10:36:46

Fab, thank you. I'll start looking at those.

redwellybluewelly Sat 10-Aug-13 10:41:18

No it doesn't, I fully appreciate where you're coming from on that score - thats one PITA with it. I can see baby welly through the screen on the top.

I've just got a Graco Sky. It has a car seat the attaches, suitable from newborn to 3 years, massive basket, folds so incredibly easy with seat attached, parent facing option.
I love it! Unsure about terrains as we live in town... It has solid tyres if that's any help?!
Donna

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now