Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Serious off-roader?

(9 Posts)
surfingbabies Sat 20-Jul-13 12:44:51

I live in Cornwall by the beach and its very hilly, we go off road all the time....we've got the out n about nipper V2 with the carrycot & I absolutely love it. With my other DC I had two buggies but with our nipper I don't need another one.....I use it for everything! In write ups for it the complaints are that the handle is too narrow, well I find that's easier to manoeuvre one handed because of this which is really handy when I'm walking the dog. Also the brakes become faulty, all that is mine get mucky and stiff so once cleaned and WD40 applied they are fine smile
We also have the ergo and I have a bad back but its fine with this carrier.......I love it & DD settles in it lovely......
Hope that helps x

Grumpla Wed 17-Jul-13 21:59:33

I have an old MB. Dunno how old it is, the woman I bought it off a couple of years ago said it had already done five kids though! Probably about 10 years old?

There's just not much on them that can possibly go wrong. No plastic bits that snap off, metal basket, canvas seat. Mine has a red frame and green seat if that helps? I've seen a couple in those colours that are equally venerable.

BizzeeBee Wed 17-Jul-13 21:09:04

I have the BJ Summit XC and it is certainly a serious all terrain pushchair. Ours has been across beaches, up mountains, through snow, through mud, and across fields. It has the same style of fold as the city mini gt. very easy, just lift with the handle on the seat after undoing the safety poppers.

WhiteMagnolia Wed 17-Jul-13 16:57:03

Thank you so much for your tips...is the MB easy to fold - the reason I liked the city gt was that you just lifted it with one strap and it folded easily with one hand...likewise does the nipper? Although I do suppose the most important thing is the hardiness on rough terrain...the old MB do you know how old it would need to be to be the best version..? Sorry for all the qu's?

RoooneyMara Wed 17-Jul-13 07:52:18

Btw ask the sling chaps about the best carrier...babybjorn isnt generally thought to be the most comfortable sort for long walks. You could try an Ergo if budget will stretch to it, but there are others less £££

RoooneyMara Wed 17-Jul-13 07:51:01

Second the MB, Nipper is good too.

Easylife sport is excellent but VERY heavy.

3MonthMaid Wed 17-Jul-13 07:36:22

My farm dwelling friends had a fairly old mountain buggy terrain which was great for serious off road. They just hosed it down afterwards and it was still looking good many year after.

Would have to be 2nd hand though. The new ones have been mucked about with. They also have pretty flat laying seats and the hammock effect offsets some of the jiggling around.

Tiggywunkle Tue 16-Jul-13 23:29:30

I would look at the Baby Jogger City Elite or Summit rather than the City Mini GT. Or even an older Classic if you are Ebay watching. Otherwise look at a Nipper.

WhiteMagnolia Tue 16-Jul-13 11:04:09

Hi

I am looking for a pushchair which would ONLY be used on dog walks and rough terrain etc - I have bought the icandy peach for general out and about stuff but would like something that can be kept in the back of the car and taken out when I walk the dogs. The dogs are not necessarily fantastic at keeping to paths and the recall is suspect so I need something that can handle veering off course - really across anything! Ideally it would work from birth - be light and very easy to fold - JL recommended the Baby Jogger City Mini GT Pushchair although that is out of stock (I am loathe to buy off amazon as the after sales is harder) - but does anyone else have an idea? Not wanting to spend millions as already have splashed out on icandy and this will definitely be my romping about chair so don't want to have to feel too precious about keeping it pristine...

I have got a baby bjorn carrier too which I think will be useful as an alternative but I think a ragging buggy would be perfect for dog walking and all the Cotswold hills when my parents are (fingers crossed) babysitting!

Thanks for your tips in advance...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now