Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Baby Jogger City Select

(18 Posts)
MrsRV Tue 02-Jul-13 16:03:29

Think I'm sold on this as a double... But one question, can you have carrycot facing you and toddler facing the world? I can't see that this is one of the million and one combinations!?!

KnittedWaffle Tue 02-Jul-13 16:08:14

Just tried it and the simple answer is no!

To be honest I wouldn't bother getting the carrycot. I haven't used it for any of my DC - one was too long after just one week and another hated lying down.
I just got the maxi cosi car seat and adapters and that worked great.

MrsRV Tue 02-Jul-13 19:09:22

Thank you! That's a bit of a shame. Baby not due til Feb and given the last few winters I can't imagine I'll be going on many long walks to warrant a carrycot... I used carrycot with DD1 and she was out of it at about 4-5 months but looks like the BJCS one is smaller by quite a bit.

KnittedWaffle Tue 02-Jul-13 19:36:04

DD was tiny and would probably have lasted longer in the carrycot but she didn't like lying down too nosey
The good thing is, as baby is due in February, I can confirm that the pushchair does work in the snow (January, February and March babies here!).
It's a bit of an effort uphill but not too bad when they're small. wink

I really love mine and it's been a total godsend. The only downside I can think of is it can be a bit heavy with two weighty toddlers in it.

Ihateparties Tue 02-Jul-13 19:46:22

Baby jogger uk have the select bassinet dimensions as 70cm long by 32cm wide. As a guide a 99th centile newborn boy would be 56.5cm, reaching 70cm at 20weeks. I think they are better off lying flat than in car seats, it's really not recommended to use them except for car journeys so I would leave even a statistically huge baby in the carrycot until they filled it quite literally. Equally I know other people would view it as outgrown much much sooner than that.

So ourgrown depends on your expectations on the sort of space you expect your baby to have. A 70cm long carrycot is pretty average imho.

KnittedWaffle Tue 02-Jul-13 19:53:39

I guess it depends on how you'll use it when youngest DC is small.
I never had mine in the car seat longer than 1 hour (ironically I didn't even have a car when I had DC2 and DC3 but still used the seat) and sometimes I use a baby carrier and put toddler into the pushchair and use it as a single.
DC3 was a very big baby - 98th centile then, off the scale now, so it would be unlikely your baby would grow out of the carrycot as quickly as him but I did find that they cried more in it than in the car seat, especially when they were a little bit bigger and starting to notice things.

Ihateparties Tue 02-Jul-13 20:15:45

^^ Exactly, if you need to be out for longer periods then lie flat v important, if you don't generally need to be then perhaps less so. There are also various options you could use to wedge the seat flat, smartmuff for example.. could be good for babies that dislike the enclosure of the carrycot set up? I used a stokke wedge in a peach blossom for my 3mth old (at time when there were supply issues and the lower carrycot really was dinky anyway) and it worked really well to keep her basically flat but she could see out too.

I'm sure i have seen a pic of the select where you can have the toddler facing forward in the rear seat and the carrycot at the front facing backwards.. which isn't exactly what you're looking for I guess and depends on how big the toddler is possibly?

KnittedWaffle Tue 02-Jul-13 20:26:56

That smartmuff looks fab!
Wish I'd known about it when mine were small contemplates having another baby just to try it out

MrsRV Tue 02-Jul-13 20:30:48

Wow, the smartmuff sounds fab! Will have to weigh up the cost against the cost of the carrycot but the smartmuff would also mean baby would be closest to me, facing me & toddler at front watching the world! What a brilliant invention!!! Do you still strap the baby in I take it??

MrsRV Tue 02-Jul-13 20:31:14

Ha! Snap KnittedWaffle!!!!

MrsRV Tue 02-Jul-13 20:37:44

Wow it's £40! Carrycot is £90 plus £40 for footmuff - I'll almost get both for £40 AND I really like the idea that baby can be close & facing me & toddler at front. Although.... Knitted, does this work? Seat at back (closest to handles) facing you & lie flat with toddler facing forward & upright???

Ihateparties Tue 02-Jul-13 20:56:06

Forty quid is a bargain, they were more like 60 last time i looked!

KnittedWaffle Tue 02-Jul-13 21:07:58

<goes downstairs to check pushchair>

KnittedWaffle Tue 02-Jul-13 21:39:43

You can put carrycot on the bit nearest you and have toddler facing you in the other seat but you can't face toddler outwards while it's completely flat.
My favourite combo is toddler facing forwards in seat nearest me, baby in other seat, which can lie flat with some leg room for toddler. It means I can chat to toddler while he looks around and at baby and I can see baby.

Tiggywunkle Wed 03-Jul-13 00:20:39

You can put the carrycot at the front parent facing and the toddler at the top forward facing. Its a lovely combination - not least because you can see the baby, talk to the toddler and see exactly where the end of the pushchair is. Like this.

KnittedWaffle Wed 03-Jul-13 07:36:19

Despite owning the BJCS for years I have never done that combination Tiggy! smile
The only thing I would say is that the wheelbase is quite long and that means the carrycot is quite far forward and low down, which isn't great when it's busy as baby can get bumped about.

becks7874 Fri 05-Jul-13 09:46:28

I bought one in October and used it as a single which was great :-) then I used it as a double when baby was born in March by April I had sold it! I hated it. You can't see the child in the front seat which is horrible, it's a nightmare lifting up and down curbs and it has a mind of its own and would end up going towards the road. I was very disappointed as I had my eye on it since it came out

RoadToTuapeka Sun 07-Jul-13 08:18:13

Agree that seating combo isn't possible.

My reasonably tall almost 6 month old has just moved onto the seat from bassinet set up. I haven't tried all seating combos but today with both facing me, eldest DS 2.5 was fine facing me in the furthest position frome while baby faced me closest. That might be tricky with a big toddler though (mine is quite small for his age).

The buggy is difficult over kerbs/big tree roots owing to long wheel base, if you plan on going up or down kerbs backwards is fine though. Luggage space is great!

I borrowed a Phil & teds double from when DS2 was born til he was
10 weeks old. Served a purpose but I hated it. Was very 2nd hand, 7 yrs old so maybe newer ones are better. Luggage basket dragged on ground with only a little shopping in it, Sun screen dropped over toddler's head & was awful with rain screen on. Also, baby in cocoon seemed extremely 'snug' such that I was glad it was winter, I would be concerned about overheating in summer & some babies seem too big for the cocoon from 3 months but shouldn't really be in the sitting up bit.

So despite the drawbacks of city select I prefer it to P&T. It seems long when you stand behind pushing it but actually wheelbase is not much longer than my bugaboo cameleon. And it is lighter than cameleon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now