Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Really need a good off-road pushchair - is the buffalo up to the job?

(13 Posts)
BridgetandtheHairyBrigands Mon 01-Jul-13 18:50:44

Hello, I'd be so, so grateful for some pushchair advice as I'm going round and round in circles. I'm expecting DC2 in October and need a pushchair capable of surviving lots of dog walks over rough terrain (young, ridiculously active spaniel to walk).

I have been considering getting a mountain buggy or a nipper but the big down-side is that they don't have a parent-facing seat. With DD (when dog-walking wasn't an issue) we had a push-chair with this option and used it for ages. I really loved chatting to her as we went along and can't imagine not being able to do that this time around.

On paper, the bugaboo buffalo seems the ideal solution but I'm worried that - for such a lot of money - it isn't really as 'all-terrrain' as it claims to be. Does anyone have any views?

Perhaps I should just accept that not having a parent-facing seat is the price you pay for decent off-road pushchair?

Ihateparties Mon 01-Jul-13 20:11:44

I haven't seen it, tiggy has but as you're talking about serious mileage and genuine terrain I'm tempted to go with your last couple of points, genuine terrain = fixed ff seat. I'm ready to be proved wrong though, it would make a lot of people happy if that weren't the case anymore.

For up to a year you could look at a mountain buggy face to face seat. The angle and low weight limit would probably render it useless for beyond a year, maybe before if your baby was unhappy being a bit reclined. Not sure a mb would even be my first choice in the current market but it would at least be a solid choice with a parent facing option.

The buffalo may prove me wrong I guess but I feel like I remember hearing it doesn't actually have air wheels, they're the foam filled air chamber thingy ones (see, i know what i'm talking about hmm)

BridgetandtheHairyBrigands Mon 01-Jul-13 22:27:09

Thanks Ihateparties - I really appreciate your reply.

Hmmm, I had looked at the face-to-face seat for the MB but as you say the weight limit is pretty low. DD was a big baby, so if this one follows its sister's lead, the seat would have a pretty limited life-span. Maybe it's a compromise choice though.

Think you're right about the wheels on the buffalo not being air filled..I am a complete novice in this area and thought this was a good thing as there wouldn't be punctures to deal with. Arrrgggh, picking a pushchair last time was so much easier...as long as it could cope with pavements and keep a baby safe and dry it fitted the bill!

Sorry to be a tad nosey, but if you took the rear-facing seat issue out of the equation, what would be your first choice for an off-road pushchair?

Ihateparties Mon 01-Jul-13 22:43:42

I don't know really, there are more options now than a few years ago maybe - BOB are in the uk, mbs, nippers, bj summit, tfks.. potentially the buffalo. I'm defo not ruling it out, it could be exactly what you're looking for. No idea what i'd pick really, i don't need anything majorly terrain-y and i guess i was thinking specifically about older nz made mbs vs new chinese made ones and what else is available to buy new.

You may be right re tyres and punctures though, it's too hard to know without seeing/trying etc. The weight limit on the buffalo is really high i think, which is a positive indicator imo.

BridgetandtheHairyBrigands Mon 01-Jul-13 22:59:55

Thanks...heaps more research ahead for me I think! <slightly in awe of your pushchair knowledge..I'm way, way out of my depth>

Ihateparties Tue 02-Jul-13 09:53:55

I would wait to see the buffalo becore making a decision,also have you looked at the baby jogger versa gt? That might work, I might just be putting too much of my own opinion in here in that fixed seats just "feel" better to me over terrain.

There is also the tfk joggster twist or x4 with multi x carrycot/seat unit.

Do you have anywhere locally that stocks a big range?

BridgetandtheHairyBrigands Tue 02-Jul-13 10:31:42

You're right, I am definitely going to have to try a few out 'in real life'.

I think I also need to try to reach a decision as to how important the parent-facing option is to me...one minute I think how the pushchair copes with rough ground needs to take absolute priority and to forget about the seat direction....the next minute I've changed my mind again..

christilass Tue 02-Jul-13 13:46:49

I have the Jane Trider as we live on a farm , its an offroad pram , 3 wheeler , does not have air tyres yippee !
Pushchair is forward and parent facing and its high up off ground .
no fiddly attatchements required .... Fantastic pram for outdoor lifestyle .

christilass Tue 02-Jul-13 13:56:09

And to add it has great suspension that you can alter depending on the terrain. :-)

mistlethrush Tue 02-Jul-13 14:05:28

I had a MB Urban (8 yrs ago) that ds was in from 3wks onwards.

Based on how much I clearly damaged his speach by having him facing away from me, I am very pleased because if he talked any more no one would be able to get a word in edgewise. Admittedly we went round with me talking and singing and talking to the dog - so he knew I was there.

It was a really good, rugged, all terrain pushchair that did serious mileage through and over serious countryside and mud. And foot high long grass. And more mud.

I sold it on to another MNetter who wanted something to walk the dog with as there was plenty of life left in it (I would have used it for a second child had we had one).

The only problems we had with it whilst we had it were 2 punctures and once the bearings dropped out of the wheel bearing - but MB sent replacements very promptly.

Ihateparties Tue 02-Jul-13 16:34:50

Ha.. i've been backwards and forwards on that question for 6 years and 3 dcs!

Tiggywunkle Wed 03-Jul-13 00:23:43

I would have thought that the Buffalo was totally a good off road, all terrain pushchair. Its one of the reasons its got foam filled tyres - so you dont get a puncture! The foam is a special one which creates air pockets (so I was told). If you get really stuck, you simply kick it into two wheel mode and pull it along!! I have used the Donkey off road and that was really good. One of the reasons I am buying a Buffalo for the all terrain capability!

TakingTheStairs Mon 08-Jul-13 17:13:10

Hello OP
If it helps, I have just ordered the buffalo specifically for it's off road abilities. Like you I have a dog that needs exercising and the buffalo seems to tick all the boxes for us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now