Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Minimalist buggy please!

(19 Posts)
Wildwaterfalls Wed 15-May-13 21:13:29

Hi all

We're very happy with our BJCM, but are now looking to add a buggy for the short trip to DD's nursery and storage there. Also for some travel abroad.

What is the lightest / smallest fold buggy on the market? Basically a very minimalist buggy. It doesn't need to have any other functions, except maybe reclining seat might be nice but not essential.

I saw a similar thread on this page which mentions Quinny Zapp, Petite Star Zero and Nuna Pepp - they all look good but is there anything even more basic out there?

TIA smile

Wildwaterfalls Wed 15-May-13 21:13:53

Petite Star Zia even

chocolatemartini Wed 15-May-13 21:14:55

Babyzen yoyo is surely unbeatable for travel. Not cheap though!

SouthernPolish Wed 15-May-13 21:46:18

Buggypod IO
With conversion kit to make it into a buggy?
It's one if those sidecar things.

But I always found a Quinny Zapp pretty small too - fits in a small car footwell.

SouthernPolish Wed 15-May-13 21:48:25
Wildwaterfalls Wed 15-May-13 22:29:03

Wow I think I have fallen in love with yoyo. It's gorgeous although actually when I said minimalist I kind of meant cheap

But what are these buggies I see people within town, the ones that look like they are just a few bits if metal with some material stretched between them? Are they Maclarens?

In the meantime, off to find yoyos on eBay.

PS: That pod thing is clever too actually, as you would save on the cost of a double buggy in due course

Daisybell1 Wed 15-May-13 22:47:51

All those you see are things like Cosattos, hauks, unbranded ones from Kiddicare/Argos, that sort of thing.

And I'd really think twice about getting one. I have a Cosatto which I bought as I wanted the particular colour way/footmuff that it came with. Plus my mum doesn't like my BJCM so wanted a buggy. And I hate it sad. By the time I've faffed trying to put it up, wrestled DD into it, and got all the wheels facing in the right direction, I'm wishing I'd taken the City Mini. The push is terrible by comparison and the putting up and folding down is a real arse.

verrucaincident Wed 15-May-13 22:54:17

I have a maclaren Volo which has been through 2 children and still as good as new. They sell for next to nothing on eBay and are as basic as you are likely to find without being total crap

chocolatemartini Thu 16-May-13 07:08:05

Volo has no suspension and yoyo does (as far as I remember). I have a volo and though it's only 4kg it feels heavier to push than my cam at nearly 10 kg. But it's light to carry when folded or with dcs going up or downstairs. I want a yoyo too for its single handle and suspension and clever fold.

Bearcrumble Thu 16-May-13 07:13:38

The 'few bits of metal' ones could be micralites?

bonzo77 Thu 16-May-13 07:14:44

I've got a volo. No recline but it does have a hood and rain cover, which is great for a school run. My tall 3 yr old still goes in it sometimes. It's as light as a feather, easy to fold.

You can get very similar though for about £30 from Argos and babies r us, though not sure about the build quality.

There is also the maclaren quest which is a bit more substantial but does recline.

MultipleMama Thu 16-May-13 07:48:07

I had a YOYO best thing I ever bought and worth the price, however it was stolen and couldn't afford a new one. However if I start back at work, I may buy one again!

MultipleMama Thu 16-May-13 07:52:50

Also, have a look Babyzen Zen - it reclines but pricey. If I could I'd choose this over the YOYO.

Laquila Thu 16-May-13 07:58:17

Just to say, I tried the Nuna Pepp in John Lewis and didn't think it was up to much at all, but that might ave been because it took even the JL staff about 15 minutes to fold and unfold it, and to attach the car seat - this mit not be relevant to you though.

TheBookofRuth Thu 16-May-13 08:08:25

What you want is the Tippi Toes. It's £35 on amazon, lightweight, folds up and down easily, and has a hood, rain cover and an adjustable seat. We love ours, it's brilliant for travelling or just negotiating public transport - I can lift it with DD in it (and she's a hefty wee thing), which is a big plus on the underground.

Wildwaterfalls Thu 16-May-13 09:33:34

Oh Ruth I do like the look of the Tippitoes. Seems to do everything the Maclaren does but at half the price, and with an adjustable seat. I wonder what the downside is.

I will have to pretend I never saw the yoyo. Probably for the best - I'd just worry about it getting damaged at nursery or stolen!

jumperooo Thu 16-May-13 14:20:05

I bought a petite star zia recently from their reworked section on nurseryvalue.com for £89, their reworked buggies mean as new or repaired, it actually arrived in brand new condition with all the tags on. It is a small fold and v lightweight. Personally I didn't get on with it and I'm going to get a bjcm, so we have just sold it on but for a runaround buggy it ticks the boxes

milkymocha Thu 16-May-13 14:24:09

Mamas and Papas Nuna!

pypsik Fri 17-May-13 12:53:31

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now