Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Buggies on escalators...

(31 Posts)
Hrc152 Fri 10-May-13 21:20:27

Thoughts? I live in greater London and occasionally use the tube and until now I've never been near an escalator with the buggy. Always gone routes though stations with lifts. But now I am just exhausted with spending hours going really long routes and I see people going on the escalator with their buggies and seem perfectly fine! I have a baby jogger city elite and gt, but feeling I probably need an umbrella type if I'm gonna attempt this one... Oh and LO is 18months...

whatsagoodusername Sat 11-May-13 11:44:07

I do it all the time with my Phil & Ted double, loaded up with bags and panniers and whatever we are carrying. At rush hour, busy stations, quiet stations. I've had one negative comment and most people have been quite friendly about it.

chattychattyboomba Sat 11-May-13 10:37:51
Lioninthesun Sat 11-May-13 10:07:40

Chattychatty I'd love to do a petition - perhaps Boris would be a good mascot? Now men are pushing buggies more I imagine it won't be long before more facilities arrive, but perhaps too slow for us lot!

MiaowTheCat Sat 11-May-13 10:01:30

No way on this earth I'd do it - but I'm terrified of escalators (took me till I was almost 20 to be able to deal with getting on them without taking about 5 mins to compose myself first) and the big long steep ones on the Tube scare me shitless.

Mind you - the entire Tube scares me shitless... I can deal with the Tyne and Wear Metro when at my parents, I can now just about deal with the sneaky ninja trams that come up behind you without warning (they scared me for a good year or so till I got used to them) but the Tube is a whole new realm of terror. Went to London last when I was pregnant with DD1 and I told hubby I wasn't ever going again until the kids were walking!

ClairesTravellingCircus Sat 11-May-13 07:05:21

I did it loads back in the days whdn I lived in London and dd1, then dd2 were pushchair material!

This is before there so many fancy pushchairs too so if was a M&P pliko and later a lightweight maclarrn, no priblem at all! Babies were strapped in tightly to avoid escapes and buggy held tilted slightly towards me.

Must have done it hundreds of times.

Ps I'm pretty sure there used to be a sign indicating buggies needed to be folded on the escalators but no one ever said anything to us.

ChippingInLovesSunshine Sat 11-May-13 00:20:13

I agree with Startail. I've done it with Phil & Ted, Out & About & Mothercare XT - all big fat wheels, never a problem. The only problem I had when I was in London was the big cubs and small wheels on a lighter umbrella buggy - never again.

Wait until the posters come on tomorrow to tell you that you should sling the toddler and if you don't, your clearly a negligent parent hmm grin

Startail Sat 11-May-13 00:08:10

Curbs

Startail Sat 11-May-13 00:07:50

Never got my big inflatable tyres stuck anywhere and they were far easier to bounce up curls, shop steps, on to escalators and into lifts than stupid tiny swivel wheels that went sideways and jammed.

Far far nicer ride for DD too.

Hrc152 Sat 11-May-13 00:06:02

Oh goodness that's awful!! But thanks for the heads up. Got my heart set on a mac XT now smile

Ilovelists Fri 10-May-13 23:44:40

Noooo don't do big wheels. The back wheel of my phil&teds got stuck at the bottom of the escalator at South Ken tube. It was awful. Huge pile up and two screaming children as people rammed into me until someone pushed the emergency stop button. Sorry to be doom and gloom but don't do it!!

Hrc152 Fri 10-May-13 23:30:10

Ha yes good point but then there is the whole walking backwards on to an escalator thing...!!! I feel convinced I will just fall straight over!

JessKM Fri 10-May-13 23:27:48

If were going down the escalators go down backwards facing to pushchair...just incise there's any kamikaze baby attempt!

Hrc152 Fri 10-May-13 23:24:00

I TOTALLY agree it's disgusting that there are not more lifts. Every time I go on the tube I wonder what on earth it must be like to have a disability, when I am finding it so hard just with a pushchair. I have often thought about starting some kind of petition.... Hmmm.... The amount of times I have stood at the top/bottom of a flight of stairs, staring desperately at every healthy looking man who walks by to see if he will help with the pushchair!!

Anyway I thought this topic would generate a bit of discussion! That is so interesting about the big wheels I really thought a maclaren would be the way to go, but I had also wondered what would happen if he decided to fling himself forward whilst heading down an escalator... I have a GT but its just so wide... Maybe it's time for a bugaboo... DH would kill me!!

chattychattyboomba Fri 10-May-13 22:34:29

Maybe we should start a petition? Why should the disabled/childabled not have access to all public transport? Isn't that discrimination?

Lioninthesun Fri 10-May-13 22:29:25

I don't live in London and it is really time consuming checking TFL website for tubes with lifts etc just to make sure we aren't stuck somewhere. I ended up carrying DD, nappy bag, buggy and a big bag with a present over a big bridge on my own when we came up for a birthday party. Then I wished I HAD gone in rush hour - at least someone might have helped me! Empty ticket office too. What would I have done if I had been in a wheelchair?

PatsysPyjamas Fri 10-May-13 22:22:47

That cab thing is also true outside London.

PatsysPyjamas Fri 10-May-13 22:21:18

London is ridiculous. We have a very basic metro system up here in the North East and there are lifts at every station. I don't take buggies on escalators personally, but that's about me. I've never noticed anyone judging others and I'm happy for DH to do it. When I've been in London, people have always been quick to offer a hand carrying the buggy on stairs (that's possibly my panic attack expression kicking in)

JessKM Fri 10-May-13 22:21:01

It's impossible to get around London otherwise.... flowers to the mums telling impatient knobs to sod off when the push past!

I've Quinny zapped my way around the tube network for 3 years, with no incidents although beware at bank station on the central line....there's a hellos a gap between the tube and the platform...just about the size of a good buggy wheel!!!!

chattychattyboomba Fri 10-May-13 22:14:14

Btw just putting it out there- did you know that you can fit a buggy in a normal black cab and it is perfectly legal? They are TFL just like jumping on a bus. You can wedge the buggy into the wheelchair space and use the wheelchair buckle to secure the buggy. I use the Hailo app and it is a lifesaver. (I promise i don't work for them! Lol)

chattychattyboomba Fri 10-May-13 22:11:20

My thoughts exactly lion. I rarely catch the tube in case there are too many steps- never mind escalators! I am happy to use one with bugaboo chameleon. Bollocks to anyone who sticks their nose up. I'd like to see them try to live a normal life in London with a child without catching the tube.
I do catch the bus wherever possible though and avoid peak hour if i can.

Lioninthesun Fri 10-May-13 22:06:53

Isn't this silly that in the 21st Century there are STILL not enough lifts/proper services for wheelchairs and buggies?

tethersend Fri 10-May-13 22:04:13

Agree with Chipping- big wheels are much better.

Have done it for years with a bugaboo cameleon and now with a micralite fastfold; both have air filled rear tyres.

People will squeeze past; TBH, they've only to wait 30seconds if they can't, so they can fuck right off if they want to moan about it.

flatmum Fri 10-May-13 21:58:47

I do it all the time and have been for 10 years with 3 children and 3 different buggies. No incidents whatsoever. It's fine as long as you are not a complete klutz.

I have never understood why this is one on the majot MN judgy pants things to do with your child - there are far more dangerous things to do with them.

Nanny01 Fri 10-May-13 21:52:50

I've taken my bjcm on the underground it was fine.

5madthings Fri 10-May-13 21:35:44

I go on the escalators with my instep nipper 360. Its quite narrow and people could get past me when I went on the escalators in London.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now