Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Buggies on escalators...

(31 Posts)
Hrc152 Fri 10-May-13 21:20:27

Thoughts? I live in greater London and occasionally use the tube and until now I've never been near an escalator with the buggy. Always gone routes though stations with lifts. But now I am just exhausted with spending hours going really long routes and I see people going on the escalator with their buggies and seem perfectly fine! I have a baby jogger city elite and gt, but feeling I probably need an umbrella type if I'm gonna attempt this one... Oh and LO is 18months...

ChippingInLovesSunshine Sat 11-May-13 00:20:13

I agree with Startail. I've done it with Phil & Ted, Out & About & Mothercare XT - all big fat wheels, never a problem. The only problem I had when I was in London was the big cubs and small wheels on a lighter umbrella buggy - never again.

Wait until the posters come on tomorrow to tell you that you should sling the toddler and if you don't, your clearly a negligent parent hmm grin

ClairesTravellingCircus Sat 11-May-13 07:05:21

I did it loads back in the days whdn I lived in London and dd1, then dd2 were pushchair material!

This is before there so many fancy pushchairs too so if was a M&P pliko and later a lightweight maclarrn, no priblem at all! Babies were strapped in tightly to avoid escapes and buggy held tilted slightly towards me.

Must have done it hundreds of times.

Ps I'm pretty sure there used to be a sign indicating buggies needed to be folded on the escalators but no one ever said anything to us.

MiaowTheCat Sat 11-May-13 10:01:30

No way on this earth I'd do it - but I'm terrified of escalators (took me till I was almost 20 to be able to deal with getting on them without taking about 5 mins to compose myself first) and the big long steep ones on the Tube scare me shitless.

Mind you - the entire Tube scares me shitless... I can deal with the Tyne and Wear Metro when at my parents, I can now just about deal with the sneaky ninja trams that come up behind you without warning (they scared me for a good year or so till I got used to them) but the Tube is a whole new realm of terror. Went to London last when I was pregnant with DD1 and I told hubby I wasn't ever going again until the kids were walking!

Lioninthesun Sat 11-May-13 10:07:40

Chattychatty I'd love to do a petition - perhaps Boris would be a good mascot? Now men are pushing buggies more I imagine it won't be long before more facilities arrive, but perhaps too slow for us lot!

chattychattyboomba Sat 11-May-13 10:37:51
whatsagoodusername Sat 11-May-13 11:44:07

I do it all the time with my Phil & Ted double, loaded up with bags and panniers and whatever we are carrying. At rush hour, busy stations, quiet stations. I've had one negative comment and most people have been quite friendly about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now