Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Buggy stinks of smoke

(12 Posts)
fuzzywigsmum Thu 09-May-13 09:44:24

Hi,

I'm feeling pretty stupid. Juts bought a second hand Mamas and Papas pulse for my 21mo off gumtree. Didn't check if it was from a smoke-free home and sure enough, the buggy stinks of fags. Have been reading articles about third hand smoke, how it lingers and is really toxic so think I should probably ditch it but paid £40 for it!

What would you do?

Thanks

PregnantPain Thu 09-May-13 09:46:29

Give it a good scrub down might help? How terrible for you though, hope you get sorted

LousThighBurn Thu 09-May-13 09:50:01

I'm sure I've heard about companies that will clean your buggy for you. I'm not sure of how costly they are though, as it could of worked out cheaper for you to buy brand new? If it is sunny outside perhaps leave it out for a few hours as the fresh air may lift some of the smell. Or febreeze the life out of it. Good luck.

WandaDoff Thu 09-May-13 09:51:26

Give it a good scrub & leave it outside to air for a while.

Tryharder Thu 09-May-13 09:52:07

I would wash it down with a mixture of water and wash powder,febreze it and then leave it outside to dry.

It will be fine after a few days.

readyforno2 Thu 09-May-13 09:52:22

Try a steam cleaner

pictish Thu 09-May-13 09:52:41

Gibe it a wash and an airing. It'll be fine. No baby ever died from sitting in a buggy that used to belong to a smoker. confused

HappyJoyful Thu 09-May-13 09:53:21

A friend got one off ebay that stank too (I collected it for her so smelt it as soon as put in car) - she's generally quite neurotic but didn't seem in least bit bothered and left it outside for a while, sprayed some fabreeze on it and it was fine. Depending on what buggy it is, most do have at least some of the fabric that is detachable and washable, so investigate what can be taken off and washed too.

fuzzywigsmum Thu 09-May-13 09:54:37

I know! I wish I'd just bought a new one! I'm always buying things second hand, thinking I'm doing a good thing for the environment and then slightly regretting it hmm

pictish Thu 09-May-13 09:54:59

It'll be fine!

TinyPenguin Thu 09-May-13 13:00:55

wash powder diluted in warm water, good scrub down & leave in the sun

or, I've used carpet cleaner on one before & that came up fine too

jennimoo Thu 09-May-13 13:04:55

I had same problem and was gutted. I washed it down over and over and left it out (even in rain I think!) for a few days. I did this a couple of times and buy the time DD was born it was just fine, and DS will be using it in a few months once he's born.

Don't give up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now