Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

BabyJogger Versa, Uppababy Vista or (maybe BGB Chameleon?)

(63 Posts)
Laquila Sat 04-May-13 21:19:33

Hi all,

After an exhausting and confusing day trying out every single bloody pushchair/pram/travel system in John Lewis and Mamas & Papas, I think we've narrowed it down to the following:

BabyJogger Versa
Uppababy Vista
Bugaboo Chameleon

We have a small car so boot space is an issue. We need something relatively rugged/sturdy, with foam wheels, for country walks (and heavy-handed husband).

Having said that we have to drive everywhere so will be taking it in and out of the car a LOT. We also wanted something that could be forward and rear facing, with a carrycot suitable for overnight sleeping (so we can use it as a Moses basket for the first few months if need be).

Does anyone have any comments/advice on the above three options? Or any suggestions for anything we might have missed?

Thanks very much in advance

Hrc152 Sun 12-May-13 08:46:39

Great choice!!

Laquila Sun 12-May-13 11:24:53

Thanks all!

parties I will doubtless be after a cheap and cheerful stroller for holidays etc at some point - don't worry, you'll be my first port of call!

Woke up this morning a bit at a loss as to what to do now that we don't need to research pushchairs all day and all night...

chocolatemartini Sun 12-May-13 12:23:07

Same here, I'm still hanging out on the pushchair boards despite being very happy with my new buggies. Don't know what to do with myself now it's all sorted!

Versa GT,every time grin
It's perfect.

RooneyMara Sun 12-May-13 14:58:56

I think GT stands for Grande Tourisme or something, like they use on cars...bit of an affectation but basically, meant to be a more rough and ready, hardcore option...!

I have the GT and love it. It is heavy but it is lovely to push nonetheless.
I haven't experienced it with an older child yet, so that might be different, but with a baby it's very nice.

RooneyMara Sun 12-May-13 15:00:54

Grand tourer (Italian: gran turismo), usually a high-performance luxury automobile designed for long-distance driving

There you go!

Laquila Sun 12-May-13 16:08:17

Hah - I asked my husband yesterday whilst we were in Ladybugs what GT stood for, and he said "Ummm...Gran Turismo?" and I said "duhhhhh, that's a video game, you muppet..." and now I have to eat my words...;)

In the end we went for the Versa GT over the standard as I realised we were probably being a bit optimistic about what terrain we'd be taking it on, and it's not as though either of us are delicate little weaklings, so we decided to just man up and get the slightly heavier one!

chocolatemartini if you're really bored you could join in my new quest for the perfect baby monitor?! I haven't even STARTED looking yet, so it'll run for aaages!

chocolatemartini Sun 12-May-13 16:24:59

Thanks Laquila I may just do that although our flat is so small we have done just fine without a baby monitor at all for 1.5 years since DS was born. Just for the record I haven't been on the pushchair board for 1.5 years, the buggy obsession is a recent thing. Before that it was slings, but I'm finally admitting he's a bit big for long carries sad

Laquila Sun 12-May-13 16:32:19

Oooh can I please pick your brains re slings, then?! Everyone tells us to get the Baby Bjorn one (but I don't know if that's suitable for newborns) - what would you recommend?

To be perfectly honest I'm wondering whether we need a baby monitor. Our house isn't big - all one room downstairs, really - and sound travels pretty well here. I think it might be one of those things that we get after a few weeks, depending on how we get on.

NomDeClavier Sun 12-May-13 16:42:21

A BB sling will probably be fine for a bit but when baby gets a bit heavier it'll really pull your back and shoulders.

I'd recommend a manducca, ergo with infant insert, becco butterfly or Gemini if you want buckles.

I lived in a stretchy wrap the first few months and then graduated to a woven wrap (and then some more) which I still use.

chocolatemartini Sun 12-May-13 17:33:34

Yeah v happy to advise on slings! We should prob take this over to the sling section so you can get a bigger range of opinions but Baby bjorn are definitely not good for either the wearer or the baby. The difference is incredible- I could hardly carry DS as a 2 month old in the BB, it just hangs the baby off your shoulders. With a good one- there are lots of options- the weight is spread better, and mostly carried on your hips. In a wrap or my beco Gemini I still carry DS at 15 months though if I wasn't a pushchair convert I'd be buying a toddler Tula by now. Most people find a stretchy like a moby best for a newborn- around 5- 6 months (I think- never actually had a stretchy, was struggling with the BB at that point) if I have another one I'll use a stretchy, then the beco up to about 12 months. If you're into that kind of thing a woven wrap is the most versatile, most comfortable and longest lasting sling, but you need to practice tying it, and you need to be prepared to navigate reams of fabric in public from time to time- I found that offputting. But I could carry a 1 year old all day in a woven wrap... Sooo comfy! I'd look at Ergo (beware of fakes), Beco, Boba, Rose & Rebellion, Manduca, Connecta. I've bought from Maverick Baby and Love to Be Natural websites, all their slings are well made and genuine... So a bit like with pushchairs there's a lot of choice! Weirdly a lot of them go for pretty much rrp secondhand so if you want an expensive one you can always justify it by telling yourself you'll sell when you've finished with it!

RooneyMara Sun 12-May-13 17:36:12

The ergo is lovely, probably best from around 5 months, or once their legs are long enough to fit outside it and not in the lotus position. Before that a stretchy wrap sling is quite useful. Closer or Caboo or something like that. Lots of people recommend the Moby as well.

RooneyMara Sun 12-May-13 17:39:21

Ooh x posts - I know very little compared to some!! smile

I second being wary of fake ergos. Only buy from a listed authorised stockist, NOT amazon (real get mixed up with fake in the warehouse system) and deffo not ebay, unless the seller can show proof of purchase from a registered seller.

There is a list of these sellers on the proper ergo website. Born direct is one, the natural nursery is another. I bought from the third hit on google when I got mine and it was from China, clearly fake and had to go through a lot of fuss to get a chargeback.

I got a proper one then and it was so lovely. Worth every penny imo, MN had an offer recently for 25% off somewhere so around £75.

simplynails Sun 12-May-13 17:39:50

Laquila, how does the versa and versa GT compare, as I'm trying to decide on which one to get?
I thought I had decided on the standard one from reading reviews but then I read this thread. I haven't seen either in person as nowhere near me has it in their showroom. I have seen the bjcm GT though.

Ihateparties Sun 12-May-13 17:40:28

I recently got a beautifully comfortable neobulle mei tai (hmmm yes, slings as well, I don't just push pushchairs blush)

I wouldn't get a bb, the best thing about them is ease, they are established and easily available but the internet offers you so much more. As mentioned above maducas, ergos, becos, things of that ilk offer the same ease but with a much better position for the baby and overall longevity. I should mention they don't have to be expensive either, there's an infantino one circa 40quid that I hear from someone who has been through a lot of slings holds its own pretty well.

There is a sling and carrier board on here somewhere... the options are endless grin

Ihateparties Sun 12-May-13 17:43:39

Ha ha oh dear.. ^ it's clearly not just me...

RooneyMara Sun 12-May-13 17:44:38

LOL Parties grin Choc Martini is your new friend!

Laquila Sun 12-May-13 17:58:23

Ahhhh ladies, I do appreciate your preoccupations with baby transport - it's made my life so much easier!

This is all brilliant ref slings, thank you so much. I will take BBs off my list and will start having a look around and trying out a few options in shops, if possible.

simplynails the others have much more experience than me of using the standard Versa and the GT, but my reasoning was that for the difference in weight, which I thought was minimal, the slightly bigger air tyres were worth it. The standard definitely feels bouncier in terms of suspension (front and back), but apparently although the GT only has suspension in front or back (can't remember which, sorry!), the air tyres make up for this by absorbing some of the shock/bumps too. The chassis on both seems to fold down to the same size and there's no difference in seat unit or carrycot, to my knowledge. Where are you mainly going to be using it?

As other, more knowledgeable people have said before me - realistically you're probably not going to be disappointed with either of the Versas. We just decided in the end that we would probably get good use out of the all-terrain aspect (we do live very rurally) and we get a LOT of snow and ice where we live in winter, and didn't want to be worrying about slipping around on pavements.

FWIW, Ladybugs did us an excellent package deal on a Versa GT - they have the pushchair itself on at £399 at the moment, which is what you'll pay for the standard Versa in John Lewis, for example.

chocolatemartini Sun 12-May-13 18:11:24

Haha <waves at Ihateparties from under a large pile of baby transportation paraphernalia> by the way I do actually hate parties. Well most of them anyway. But I will try to stay on topic here! There are also a couple of Facebook groups for slings-fsotslingsandthings is one. They seem pretty well moderated and people seem to buy and sell with confidence, and the www.naturalmamas.co.uk forum is where the real sling enthusiasts hang out.

RooneyMara Sun 12-May-13 18:15:46

I actually started a thread today about how much I hate parties.

This is getting wierd. <spooky music>

chocolatemartini Sun 12-May-13 18:22:17

Weird! Nice to have found some kindred spirits, but let's agree not to hang out together in case it turns into a party grin

Ihateparties Sun 12-May-13 18:56:20

This week I will be mostly hating children's parties <mini celebration re ds1s 31st august birthday, he hasn't got a chance has he mwahahaha. Ahem. Evil parent>

Either versa will be great whoever was asking, i've temporarily forgotten. I haven't got a versa, my original one went back with the recall and I didn't replace it because I got the versa yips, ideally I would have gt wheels and suspension. Which you can't have <sulks>

I have wink

Ihateparties Sun 12-May-13 20:11:28

I knew you were going to say that.. you were totally lucky! wink

I know! grin

<strokes unicorn>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now