Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Help needed with finding a reversible seat, 4 wheal, large basket pram/pushchair.

(37 Posts)
HortonHEARSaboo Wed 24-Apr-13 21:05:55

Hi I'm still in early stages of pregancy but due to complications it's likely I will be going on full bed rest soon till near the end of pregancy.
So I need to view them soon to order later while stuck on bed rest.

Essential is that it has a reversible seat and 4 wheals, ideally a decent basket because I don't drive but its not a deal breaker.
I will mostly walk everywhere.
Within reason I have an unlimited budget.

I did have a quick look in John Lewis but couldn't ask any questions the place was very busy.
I've used the Bugaboo Cameleon before (work in childcare) and really like this pushchair so its top of the list. Any cons I might not know?
I was also keen on the Bee but now not so much now for a newborn.

I was really surprised by how much I liked the Icandy brand, I didn't think I would like them but up close they look like really lovely solid buggys.
I'm a bit overwhealmed by all the iCandy options tbh.
On paper the Strawberry looks best for me but I think the basket would annoy me and I just really like the look of the peach.
Is there that much of a difference, should I just accept the basket and go for the cheaper option?
What's the deal with the 'flavour' packages what exactly is it?
I looked on best buggy am I right in thinking you need to buy the hood separately?

The others that match the description but I haven't properly seen are the Joolz Day, Phil and Teds Smart, Uppababy and the Stokke one.
Any opinions would be wonderful and really appreciated.

HortonHEARSaboo Fri 26-Apr-13 08:07:45

Right so the Uppababy is also on the list. I'm going try and arrange another visit to John Lewis this weekend the have the Uppababy on display plus all the Bugaboos and Icandys.

brug I do use trains a lot so I will keep that in mind.
The 'punnet' storage in the seat looks useful originally I thought it was a little pocket but I review I read makes it sound quite large is that true?

MiaowTheCat Fri 26-Apr-13 08:43:20

I've never actually needed a wrist strap on a pram despite living on a really really stupid hill - but you can buy them separately anyway off Amazon and the like. I've even managed to slide on ice, keep my footing and keep hold of the pram pushing down the hill - rotten DD1 just sat there giggling at me doing it.

Jenijena Fri 26-Apr-13 08:57:04

I have an uppababy and love it. Huge basket, and has coped with all sorts of surfaces. Preferred it (not just the price) to the bugaboo (chameleon, i think) I looked at.

Check out the compatibility with car seats as well, if you like that feature.

MrsSpencerReid Fri 26-Apr-13 08:59:20

Baby jogger city select? Just to add to the choices grin

DrMcDreamysWife Fri 26-Apr-13 09:06:39

Another vote for uppababy vista. I wish I'd got this buggy, the basket is massive and my mate who has one always ends up putting my shopping in it too as the basket on my babystyle oyster is too small..

Her ds loves to sleep in the uppababy as well and she doesn't have a car and it gets quite a hammering marching all over town but is in great shape.

Locketjuice Fri 26-Apr-13 09:13:05

Britax does have a reversible seat smile and a huge hood! So don't really need a raincover/sunshade smile

Brugmansia Fri 26-Apr-13 11:34:17

I'm still just using the carry cot and it's a while since I had the seat unit of, but from memory it was a pretty good size. Once we get to that stage I'd been thinking of permanently keeping wipes, nappies, changing mat and a change of clothes in it and it was definitely big enough for that.

HortonHEARSaboo Fri 26-Apr-13 15:11:00

brug that sounds like great storage, I think I may prefer the strawberry now.
I think we will go early Satarday morning to beat the crowds.

Ihateparties Fri 26-Apr-13 16:41:02

It's a very personal thing you have a list of good solid choices, seeing them in person you will be able to consolidate your thoughts on what you particularly like. Baskets don't bother me but the strawberry one is very shallow in comparison to some others however it might be totally adequate for you it just depends on your needs.

Tiggywunkle Fri 26-Apr-13 21:48:57

I thinnk as Parties says, you have a good list here of the top pushchairs on the market. Head for JL or a good independent shop and have a play with them all. Line them up side by side, fold them all, note the storage, what you get for your money.
Re the iCandy's - if you can get all 4 ie Apple, Cherry, Peach and Strawberry side by side, you will soon work out the differences and which has the features you need.
Swing away bumper bars are fab when you have a toddler - for easy access.

MrsJaqenHgar Fri 26-Apr-13 22:13:53

I have a Strawberry and don't find the basket to be an issue. I can fit the equivalent of 3-4 carrier bags worth of shopping in it and have never lost anything out of it. I liked the Peach too but a one piece fold was more important to me and the Strawberry fold is so simple. I store the raincover in the punnet and there's still room to squeeze other stuff in like a small brolly or keys/purse/phone if I'm just nipping to the local shop with no bag with me.

As Tiggy says, it's best to try to find somewhere that has all the iCandys on display. I was able to instantly rule out the Apple (too bulky) and the Cherry (wheels too small).

I also loved the Uppababy Vista but it's very wide and, again, a 2 piece fold which I really didn't want (I have limited storage and nowhere to keep it unfolded in the house).

Don't write off teh Babyjoggers until you try them. The look of them didn't much appeal to me either but I also have a BJ City Mini GT as I needed something that could handle rough terrain for dog walking and it's fabulous. If only it parent faced it would be the perfect pushchair.

rootypig Sat 04-May-13 17:50:28

I used Bee+ from newborn and it was great. The cocoon is so cosy and fit her much longer than a carrycot on a travel system would - she was still in it at 6mo when I took her out of it because the weather improved.

The basket is crap though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now