Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

B-dual - interested to see how people would set it up for this combo

(9 Posts)
MiaowTheCat Tue 30-Apr-13 09:15:26

Think I'm giving up trying to get it to work well for us at the moment to be honest - with the bottom seat in newborn mode it's so far down I'm catching it with my feet and having to stick my backside out to compensate (and since my arse could obliterate the sun anyway...) - I bought it predominantly for the option to have one parent facing and one being peered down on - but it's not working well like that either.

The bit that's killed me more than I anticipated - remembering I bought it when I had regular access to the car and a bus service almost to the door of the house, both of which have now vanished leaving me with a good couple of miles up an evil evil hill to push it - is the sheer weight combined with the hill... while it was brilliant when I could fall back on the car or our local bus service with huge pushchair spaces that were never occupied since the buses ran empty 99% of the time (probably why they went bust but by heck it was convenient!) - I've ended up hurting both of my shoulders with how I'm having to lean into it to get it up the hill, coupled with then having to lift the back wheels over the lip of the back door... when it's causing me that degree of physical pain - it's a no-goer at the moment for us when combined with the change in our transportation status. Yep I lose the ability to clip our car seat (which I won't change because I love the comfort on Britax car seats) but since I invariably last 1 week with a newborn in a car seat before swearing as I bruise my shins and yank my shoulder out of joint for the 20th time that day lugging it around and leave the damn thing in the car... no biggie there.

I've "promised" to sell it (which will involve leaving it in the spare room for a few months and hoping hubby forgets about it so I can use it if I get the urge) but just bought a cheapo second hand Phil and Teds to play about with and see if it's any better for us. Hopefully given a few months when we find out if hubby's new work secondment is going to be made permanent (this being the reason I've lost the use of the car during the week) and if so it can justify getting a second car for me to use - it'll be better if I keep conveniently forgetting to sell it.

Having a second hand pushchair sales shop at the bottom of our hill is bloody fatal I tell ya! Shame cos it's a lovely sturdily built buggy... and red!

TruthSweet Fri 26-Apr-13 12:16:45

I've had the top seat facing me with 3y in it and baby in soft carry cot on the top. Not terribly ideal but 3y was having an asthma attack at the time!

When DD4 was newborn I mainly had the top seat facing me with the soft carry cot in it with the foot rest all the way up and toddler in the bottom.

Now DD4 is 6m and out of the carry cot she's in the top seat in the cosy toes facing me & the foot rest slightly up and DD3 is in the bottom seat slightly reclined but she mainly walks so I use the bottom seat as a massive basket grin

I have also used it with DD2 in the top seat ffing and she was 4.5y (walling/joint problems not laziness) with DD3 aged 2.5y in the bottom not reclined. I have never used the seat extender thingies long term as every time I tried to use them they came out the the connectors and the seat fell forward even with 12kg DD3 in itBritax had no answers for me apart from paying for some new extenders hmm

HTH

Ihateparties Thu 25-Apr-13 16:36:23

grin if you don't often fold it some hamster bags might help, or those net ones you put on the side of the frame.

I'm the person who is lucky if they have a nappy, some wipes and solitary tissue with them :-/

MiaowTheCat Thu 25-Apr-13 13:57:23

The real solution is for me to stop carting so much crap around - but I can't do minimalist handbaggage - I never could!

Ihateparties Thu 25-Apr-13 13:06:27

As your baby is still small you could use something else in the lower seat? I had the opposite problem, I didn't have the soft cot and 3m old dd2s legs hung over the end of the seat annoyingly.

The world of tandems is a world of compromise often smile

MiaowTheCat Thu 25-Apr-13 09:42:46

Best I've found so far is actually the baby in the top with the footrest tilted right up out of the way. Means I can peek down through the handlebars and pull silly faces at DD1. I miss the interaction so much with her facing forwards up top.

Just wish the soft cot wasn't as ridiculously long as it is - can get nowt in the basket with it on or it would be the perfect solution.

Tiggywunkle Wed 24-Apr-13 23:56:00

I agree with parties. I would remove the seat adaptors and put the seat back in the central position. I would suggest the baby in the soft cot underneath with the toddler on top, really is the best configuration.

Ihateparties Wed 24-Apr-13 10:58:49

Any particular reason you need the adaptors on? I would leave those off because of the weight distribution, esp with children of these ages.

I probably wouldn't see their physical size as that much of an issue here, rather whether your elder child is in the pushchair all of the time, most of the time or only part of the time?

If all or most of the time then I probably would keep the baby down the bottom and 1yo up top too because of the wheel guards and because she is probably more in need of the increased view.

When I had one with just a 2yo and newborn the elder one was on top, the baby down below. I don't have a b dual anymore but the principle is the same, now the older one walks 80% of the time the lower seat is hers.

If your elder one walks much of the time (possibly a bit young but no assumptions are they're all different) it often makes more sense to have them in the lower seat. That way the baby isn't stuck down there with a restricted view when the top seat is empty. This tends to happen organically over time anyway really smile

There's nothing wrong with a bit of swapping the configurations anyway, maybe you will just find different ones work for you for different journeys?

MiaowTheCat Wed 24-Apr-13 08:03:44

I've not quite managed to get a setup for it I'm 100% happy with as of yet - it's becoming a source of amusement for people that everytime they see me I've got it set up a different way.

I have available the soft carrycot, carseat and obviously the double kitted out pushchair. 5 week old and a 1 year old who is more like a 2 year old in terms of size. One of the issues is that our local area is very hilly and the pavements slope quite steeply - ideally I would have had big girl on the top with the adaptors pushing the seat out and forward, which works fine when I'm going somewhere flat, however it falls down slightly when I'm going up and down the stupid hill (which you need to do to get anywhere here - we live at the top of the hill in both directions and the council killed our bus service) in that it brings the weight distribution quite far forward.

Just interested in hearing people who've used it and how they'd set it up with that kind of age gap (I'd probably regard the 1 year old as more of a 2 year old since she's like 98th centile).

Oh and any permutations where I don't have to use the flipping wheelguards are awesome! (Currently using the cosytoes as a ground floor straight jacket for legs that otherwise act like they're in a synchronised swimming routine and for sock-containment)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now