Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Seriously good off-road pushchair needed!

(34 Posts)

I walk miles a week with a pushchair (I'm talking serious miles - 30 to 50) for exercise and relaxation at a fairly brisk pace and very occasional light brief jogging (e.g. if I'm late to pick up my oldest from school!!)

I recently moved to a much more rural area from London, and am having to come to terms with crappy pavements and kerbs but by far my toughest issue is the footpaths riddled with stones, mud and tree roots, and stiles. Plus the odd set of unavoidable steps especially at our local station when I want to travel further afield. And other such country obstacles!

I have a Phil & Teds Sport double right now, but it's bulky and prone to punctures and the front wheel keeps sticking (twists 90 degrees) on tree roots and rocks and so on. I'm not easily able to lift it either partly due to the shape rather than lack of strength although that is a factor too.

The intended passenger is my almost two year old son. Yes, he's old enough to walk, but he isn't going to be doing 12 miles at a brisk pace any time soon in the next few years!

I have been out of the pushchair market for YEARS. I know nothing these days. No particular budget in mind as I know you have to pay for decent quality.

Must haves:

- Really good at off-road, and I mean really good. Better than Phil & Ted's.
- Lightweight enough for me to carry it over stiles etc if necessary
- Robust and reliable

I've probably already ruled out every pushchair on the market with those three requirements but just in case, here's my "nice to haves":

- Tyres that don't puncture
- Facility to turn it into a double/twin P&T style
- Suitable for jogging with
- Not too wide
- Reasonable sized basket for carrying my clutter
- Foldable in one piece

If anyone thinks there might be something out there that would be a noticeable improvement on my (several years old, somewhat battered, a few thousand miles on the clock) Phil and Teds I'd love to hear about it!

Similarly if I may as well stick with the P&T, just say so too. I do have a Maclaren XT which is great for pavements etc but hopeless of course off-road. If only there was an off-road version of that at the same weight!

Thank you very much for your thoughts flowers

Tiggywunkle Wed 24-Apr-13 23:42:56

I would be suggesting the Baby Jogger Summit. It has forever air wheels, so no punctures. Would be fab for running with. The wheels could be easily removed and thrown over a stile and put back on in seconds. The chassis itself is fairly small once the wheels are removed. Its the one I would want to be carrying!

Other than that, most of the rest have air tyres. The Nipper is great as long as you aren't tall and your child isn't tall. It is very light to push and lovely to use.

Look also at the BOB range - they have just arrived in the UK. I have a Revolution CE and its fab to push and use. The seat is huge with lots of leg room. They do doubles but not "add on" seats. They are easy to fold and light-ish to carry. I prefer carrying my BOB to my Nipper.

Look also at the TFK Joggster Twist. Fab pushchair with a huge seat and really thick padding for the child. There is an add on "buddy seat" for this pushchair, or a lie flat carrycot option. Its probably on the heavier side to carry over a stile.

If you fancy something a bit different, there is the Recaro Babyzen which has solid wheels, and folds down flat. Easy to slide through a gate lol

Daisybell1 Thu 25-Apr-13 20:56:07

Tiggy beat me to it, I have a summit and I ask it to do all the things you need it to. I live on a farm in the frozen north and so ask it to push across frozen sheep sh*t, up and down steep hills and along very rocky paths. I adore it. It is simply amazing.

Mine is air wheels as its an older one, but I got one puncture at the start and nothing since, which is amazing given the punishment I've given it. And if you get to a stile you pop the wheels off, chuck them over the wall, pick it up by the grab handle and just carry it over. Its that easy.

I've taken it on holiday and on a train too, so its not antisocially large either.

Thank you! I might see if I can find somewhere that has a Baby Jogger to try out as well and see which one I prefer!

Daisybell1 Sat 27-Apr-13 20:21:19

If you're anywhere near the frozen north you're welcome to come and try mine..

Alas I'm SE, but thank you for the offer! smile

mamaloop Thu 09-May-13 21:35:26

I would agree with all the Nipper suggestions. I had the same dilemma; moved to the countryside with a bugaboo and soon realised i wasn't getting anywhere fast. I rented a nipper double for my two from irentstuff.co.uk and was convinced enough to buy one! The difference was just incredible. I was able to walk through fields, footpaths and some bits of beach!

Well, I bought the Nipper today and will be literally field-testing it tomorrow!! DH is unimpressed and muttering about space in the house, but he's not the one who uses a pushchair day in day out, well, last I checked it wasn't a job requirement wink

Tiggywunkle Mon 13-May-13 00:53:53

Glad you made a decision. Let us know how you get on.

Well, I'm pretty happy! It just about fits through some of the more "interesting" kissing gates we have locally that the Maclaren fitted through easily, so that was one of the main worries out the way. It goes very well along the often quite bumpy canal towpath. Haven't tried it out yet on narrow footpaths with treeroots (the straw that broke the camel's back with the P&T) but I can tell it will be a little easier.

DS seems happy with it at least! DD (4) tried to perch on the end when she got tired but he was having none of it and kept kicking her. Oh well, maybe in a few months!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now