Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Quicksmart backpack buggy any good?

(36 Posts)
FlamingGallah Tue 23-Apr-13 15:22:34

Aarrgghhh the joys of needing to push 3 kids continues.

Going on holiday soon, have a BJCM double which we will use for newborn and 20 months old. Our 3.0 yr old walks 90% of the time, but asks to go in the pram when tired or on long walks, and am thinking it might be useful to have something for rushing to gate at airports.

Saw the quicksmart backpack buggy and wondered if it could be a solution? It would only ever be an emergency buggy, but one of us could wear it, or maybe it would even fit in the BJCM basket. I've seen them secondhand for about £60.

Has anyone tried one, are they too good to be true? I can see it doesn't recline, that wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks in advance...

Tiggywunkle Sun 16-Jun-13 23:16:48

Wait for the Oyster Gem ;)

I have one here on test and its FABULOUS!! Teeeeeenyyyy tiny fold (not far off as small as the YoYo for the chassis), with a choice of parent facing and forward facing "framed" seat for LO's (but its small to store) and then a large fabric add on seat (like the Quinny in some ways but easy peasy to swap over) for older toddlers. My nearly 3 year old is parent facing in it fine - its LOVELY for him, and my rapidly heading for 5 year old (just for testing purposes) has loads of room in the big seat.

I think as far as parent facing goes it really will fill a niche in the market - its smaller than the Bee to store, looks great, has loads of options - not just the 2 seats but also the carrycot and car seat options. I think its going to be fantastic for anyone who has an upstairs flat - especially if you can work out how to put a carrying strap onto the seat unit because (hopefully) the chassis could be in one hand, seat slung on your back and baby in the other arm (although you do need two hands to fold and remove the seat). The bigger seat folds on the chassis.

So, in my car boot there is the YoYo (which lives in there), the Casual Play Livi (which has been used for the last week) and the Oyster Gem (being used this week) - three fab pushchairs - all small folding, all with pros and cons....but the Oyster Gem is more of a 'proper' pushchair IYKWIM. We got stopped by two people today to ask what it was!

WeAreSix Sun 16-Jun-13 22:33:50

I've just made DH watch the Yoyo video. He was 'ooh amazing engineering' so maybe there is hope!!

Ihateparties Sun 16-Jun-13 22:00:08

I don't know anything genuinely tiny and parent facing, the bee is as close as it gets. The livi is great though. There is the joie mirus, but when parent facing you have the weird backwards steering and I think a combi one coming, not sure on the steering on that. Sometimes they have all swivel wheels and you just lock whatever is the back for the direction you're using.

WeAreSix Sun 16-Jun-13 21:51:56

I'm watching with interest... I need to replace my 'car' stroller with something that preferably isn't an umbrella fold. The Yoyo is too expensive. Casualplay looks good.

Would be brilliant to have parent facing too.

Tiggywunkle Sun 02-Jun-13 13:49:57

Well done you! I hope you aren't disappointed. I put my YoYo and Bee side by side and if you ignore that the Bee parent faces, TBH they arent as different as I thought (yes there are some differences but in essence). I was actually quite bemused and shocked that in the end I came down feeling that they were alike when I thought originally that they were very different.

I looked at that, wasn't keen on the look of it. Might be cos the Yoyo looks a bit like the Bee and I miss my Bee. Anyway, I got a bit trigger happy on the paypal button about 10 minutes ago and bought a yoyo blush. I've never been good at patience!

Ihateparties Sat 01-Jun-13 17:01:03

Also look at the casualplay livi, it's a bit bigger, a bit sturdier, reclines more and costs less. Am awaiting bestbuggy side by side!

I'm in the market for a yoyo now. Am going to be on a ship for 2 weeks next month and I need a pushchair that's extremely narrow but reclines and could possibly be used as a high chair. Think the yoyo sounds perfect!

FlamingGallah Wed 01-May-13 09:10:18

Tiggy you are really really not helping! I'm having a wobble now and wondering if I should have got one! Yes, they were getting stock in yesterday.

Tiggywunkle Wed 01-May-13 01:22:55

LOL Flaming Gallah! Well done for finding one to try. I assume they are now in the UK then?
Yes, I think they are overpriced for £300, but believe me, ours gets used pretty much every day. Its the one permanent pushchair in our boot.

aw shame, near but not near enough. Anyway, I'm swearing off pushchairs. I bought a BJCM two weeks ago and love it so much that I'm taking delivery today of a brand new BJCM GT. Just got to sell my beloved Bee and the BJCM then DH will speak to me again!

FlamingGallah Tue 30-Apr-13 10:31:59

Gwendoline it was at a baby shop in London called Huggle, v near Swiss Cottage tube station

Jumperoo thanks, I'll have a look!

jumperooo Tue 30-Apr-13 07:02:19

The reason I don't love it is because its not as nice as our uppababy or a bjcm, to clarify, but its a perfectly decent buggy for the price :-)

jumperooo Tue 30-Apr-13 06:56:51

I needed a holiday buggy and wanted a yoyo but its just too expensive. Same for bjcm, even second hand 2 year old models are going for over £100.

In the end we got a petite star zia from their outlet store nurserystore.co.UK. They categorise them into A) unused as-new returns, B) refurbished etc. We got a Cat A for £83. It arrived as new, still had labels on etc. I don't love it but its nothinh like the uppababy I've got which costs 6 times more, so for a holiday buggy for the price its great, small fold, reclines, rain cover included, adjustable handle, light to push.

Ooh where did you try it?

FlamingGallah Tue 30-Apr-13 05:58:52

Update: God I'm like a terrier when I want something.....managed to try a Babyzen YoYo yesterday, although I didn't have a toddler with me to put in it.

I did like it, but not enough to buy one on the spot for £300. Might be different if I didn't already have 2 pricey prams! Can't think how I would have sneaked that one under the radar with poor DH who is under the impression that prams only cost about £50 grin

Tiggywunkle Sun 28-Apr-13 22:44:49

LOL she is terrible ;)
Hypothetically speaking....LOL
I dont know of anywhere. They should be about in the UK though now and I know a number of retailers were interested in stocking them.

FlamingGallah Sun 28-Apr-13 07:42:45

Thanks Ihateparties but you lot have just fuelled my desire for a Babyzen YoYo. Now hypothetically speaking, if I were to think about getting one, does anyone know any shops that have them on display? grin

Ihateparties Sat 27-Apr-13 13:35:57

this which folds to 13cm flat, is suitable from birth and you can even get a carrycot for it. Look at the video for it. Nifty.

Not what you're looking for quite but another very cool tiny pushchair grin

Ihateparties Sat 27-Apr-13 13:32:06

Did ya look at the casualplay livi? I know it's not here yet but you can import one for 190, which is quite a lot less than the yoyo and it's from birth so any of your children could be in it at different times.

Something else cool I saw whilst searching was

FlamingGallah Sat 27-Apr-13 12:46:05

Stop it! You lot are like drug pushers, but for prams

Ihateparties Fri 26-Apr-13 23:00:37

The yoyo is amazing (I had a play with tiggy's), it's like a handbag magic trick <too stingy to buy one when I have no use for it at all as walk everywhere>

FlamingGallah Fri 26-Apr-13 22:32:00

Tiggy you are not helping here!! Thanks to you I have a GT when I was supposed to be getting a bashed up old secondhand BJCM grin

Tiggywunkle Fri 26-Apr-13 21:54:09

In contrast DH tried and tried to tip the YoYo and couldnt.....its been here months and months now and is one of the most useful / best pushchairs I have ever owned.

Tiggywunkle Fri 26-Apr-13 21:53:23

Noooo not the Yezz....its downright dangerous :\
I loved mine, love the concept, but when it tipped and my LO hit their head on a (thankfully a wooden) floor, it immediately went. It could well have been concrete or a paving slab. There's zero protection. My LO was simply sat calmly watching the world go by when it tipped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now