Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Best Double Stroller for City Living

(12 Posts)
Tiggywunkle Fri 19-Apr-13 21:04:46

I struggle to beat the Peach Blossom 2. I think I have had over 40 tandems and it stands out probably as the best. There are a couple close contenders, and if you had certain circumstances - ie a big age gap, they would suit better. But the Peach Blossom 2 really is absolutely superb for what it does - and in fact I am debating buying another Blossom 2 kit for my 4 and (nearly) 3 year olds just for a few months. The new Apple 2 Pear is excellent too, as is the Oyster Max.
I admit I am disappointed in the new wheels though - they do seem to wear quickly. I am on my third Peach but I haven't used this one enough yet to really see the effect on the wheels - this is the first one with the new wheels. The older wheels were no problem. It wouldn't put me off.
I would buy a Peach with a warranty. TBH I haven't had any issues when I needed to claim or needed parts.
All round, whether as a single or as a double, I think the Peach is one of the best there is.

notso Fri 19-Apr-13 12:20:44

I would choose a single with a good resale value, and look for a double when you need one.

I have a 16 month gap between DC3 and DC4, and have a BJCM double.
Initially I wanted the Peach Blossom 2 but couldn't wait for it to be released, so I went for the B-Dual and hated it with a passion. I found it really difficult getting my newborn in and out, he had his head knocked no end of times.
I tried keeping my Cameleon and using a sling and buggy board for a while but it was only really suitable for very short trips.
I recently borrowed my friends PB2 for a few weeks and although it is lovely to push and has some great features, the basket is too small for me and DS3 was grumpy in the lower seat and DS2 looked squished in the top seat.
I wish I had had the BJCM from day one as would have loved DC4 to have benefited from the carrycot. I like the fact my boys are sitting next to each other and can talk to each other.

Ihateparties Fri 19-Apr-13 11:11:21

Tiggy is full of love for her peach blossom. The warranty thing is hmmm well you may need to use it. Customers have been inconvenienced by supply issues that perhaps have not been dealt with in the most transparent way. Prams ordered that did not arrive for 6 months, carrycots arriving long after the baby did etc.

I had a used peach 2, an early 2012 one and my EVA wheels were fine. They do pit with stones, glass etc. but that happens with many other brands too. They didn't wear excessively and I walk 5 miles plus a day.

Daffodil3003 Fri 19-Apr-13 09:06:53

Thanks so much guys thats such a help. I have heard really mixed reviews re the iCandy Peach blossom. I really liked how light it was but have heard bad reviews re the tyres and also warranty.

Any one know any thing re the above? Anyone have an iCandy Peach and absolutely love it?

Thank you!

MiaowTheCat Fri 19-Apr-13 08:12:11

My 1 year old loves the underneath seat on the b-dual... she can kick her legs up in the air and try to dangle them out of the sides... she can try to pull the blanket off the car seat above when I've got that clipped on... and she can look straight up and get eye contact with me - it's like her own personal little party zone! (Also means all removed socks are likely to have a decent chance of landing in the shopping basket and making it home!) If anything I think it's the child on the top of ours that gets the rougher end of the deal - tend to plan trips out so the walking bit is done during nap time so the top child isn't missing out on much.

Side-by-sides are great and good (we have one kept in the car because it's a small fold and can slot in the passenger footwells) but one wouldn't make it down the side alley into the back of our house and we can't bring pushchairs in the front at all. I did buy the tandem with one eye on having to use buses - but they pulled our bus service so I have no choice but to walk everywhere for the next 14 months or so till they finish the tram line!

Ihateparties Thu 18-Apr-13 22:47:09

If i personally had a small age gap, say 18 months or under then I would have a side by side despite them hacking me off because both children would be in it essentially full time.

More like 2 years gap and tandems work for us because the elder child isn't always in it and increasingly less so as time goes on. I like the idea of a side by side certainly but repeatedly meet places (old house, current house, playgroup door, school door, favourite shop etc) where they just don't fit. Where you live and frequent has a impact on this though, some find them no problem at all.

Me, I would buy a good single and worry about the double later, as tiggy says specific models often work best for fairly specific age gaps.

Tiggywunkle Thu 18-Apr-13 22:04:59

To be honest, most newborns / under 6 months will sleep much of the journey anyway, by which point you may well find your toddler is desperate to have the "hiding" seat underneath. I have had children fighting for the lower seat of a tandem!

WeOnlyPlannedTheFirst Thu 18-Apr-13 21:59:08

Don't know about specific buggies but my 21 month old still naps for a couple of hours in the day and needs the buggy to lie flat for it if we're out.
I'm not a big fan of tandems as I want my kids to all have 'equal billing' so I'd probably look for the best single to suit your needs now then a side by side later if need be.

Tiggywunkle Thu 18-Apr-13 21:29:52

You absolutely do not want the Rumble Seat with a small age gap. Its really best for an over 2 year old who doesn't nap. You need a pushchair that has a proper double option.
I would look at the iCandy Peach Blossom 2, the new iCandy Apple 2 Pear, the Britax B-Dual, and the Baby Jogger City Select. I wouldnt even be recommending the Oyster Max or TFK to you unless you have a much bigger age gap. The iCandy's would be the safe option TBH.

MiaowTheCat Thu 18-Apr-13 18:54:49

I've got a 12, well 11 - she came early, month age gap - I find I really need the full lie-flat option with both seats with it if that helps narrow your choice a bit.

Ihateparties Thu 18-Apr-13 18:37:02

The rumble seat is extremely upright, its really not an ideal double. Plus it can't be used with the carrycot so the newborn has to go in carseat or wedged main seat. A 12 to 18 month old is highly likely to still sleep in the pushchair, the rumbleseat makes that difficult.

Add to your list the babystyle oyster max, the icandy peach blossom and possiby the tfk joggster twist with buddy seat. That's fixed non reclinable too but the angle is a lot more forgiving. Equally do consider singles too as side by side doubles can often be more appropriate for siblings very close in age.

Daffodil3003 Thu 18-Apr-13 16:55:34

Im about to buy my first stroller and am torn between Uppababy Vista or Phil and Teds Navigator. As i am an older mum are thinking of these 2 as I really like them as not too bulky and both can convert to a double.

We may try 3-6 months after first baby for our second so there may only be 12-16 months between the 2 babies. Know the Uppababy vista will convert to a double with the Rumbleseat and I think the Uppababy Vista looks a bit sleeker that the Phil and Teds. But want the best option for babies that may only have a 12-16 month age gap.

Any advice be very welcomed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now