Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

pushchairs strollers for tall people any advice

(19 Posts)
JBridgman Thu 11-Apr-13 09:45:13

Hi me and my hubby are expecting our first towards end of this year we are both 6' so petty tall. Neither of us drive so no car. I have a 36" inside leg so very long strides.
I am also concerned because my mum is same hight as me and leg but has a bad back don't want her to have to bend down to far. Her husband is also 6'7" so need to factor in for him pushing as well as they are very excited grandparents to be . (who am i to turn down a few brakes :D)

A friend had a bugaboo camelion (sorry if spelt wrong) I really liked handle hight and didn't step on the back how ever I didn't like the two peice fold as we travel alot by public transport. (live in Devon and one bus I get often doesn't have pram space) Have you had any experiences with this???

Know the bugaboo buffalo is coming out this year with a one peice fold but can't quite justify spending £800. Sure a year after could pick one up slightly cheaper on eBay but this year is a no go.

any advice im really not limiting my self to bugaboo bit only ones iv pushed (with weight of a child in )

SoYo Thu 11-Apr-13 09:55:33

I'm the same height & have a Stokke Xplory because it ones up very high (higher than bugaboo) & the seat is also very high so bubba is closer to you which I love & don't Have to bend to get her in & out.

Downsides are its expensive (but plenty on eBay etc) & it doesn't fold very small but I would absolutely sacrifice that for the lovely height & how easy t is to push.

dyslexicdespot Thu 11-Apr-13 09:58:00

DH and I are tall. We have a Brio pushchair and a Mutsy stroller. They are made for long legged people.

Baby jogger city mini (gt) has a height adjustable handle and one handed fold, it's amazing, really can't fault it.

It's voted best 3 wheeler on MN for a very good reason

dyslexicdespot Thu 11-Apr-13 09:59:19

Forgot to say that we live in London and take both on public transport. Although, the Brio pushchair is quite large.

I think John Lewis have the BJCM in store to try, the GT is the newer and better version.

You can get adapters for putting a car seat on which means baby faces you, and is high up. Or you can just lay the buggy flat, but if you're tall I would imagine car seat would be better to start with. I have adapters, message me if you're interested.

JBridgman Thu 11-Apr-13 10:15:37

Ooo thanks I feel slightly less lost. For got to mention what is the storage on these like the stoke xplory looks small is it?

JBridgman Thu 11-Apr-13 10:19:15

Also sorry im a pain the bjcm would you say would do right up untill 3-4? My baby is going to be huge im sure as we are both big and my mother in law desided to tell me the nurses called my husband baby elephent in hospital!!!! not a good thing to tell me im sure lol

ellajayne Thu 11-Apr-13 10:25:06

I have a Mothercare 3 wheel city stroller (I think that's what it's called - I apologise if I'm wrong) and it's perfect. I'm 5ft10 and don't have to hunch over like I did with my other pushchairs. Plus, it's a dream to push and not all that expensive iirc.

SoYoFromKokomo Thu 11-Apr-13 10:36:33

No it's not small, the frame isn't bulky but the bassinet bit is pretty big, it's much more compact when using it with the carseat though. Is got a shopping bag bit on the front that holds a decent amount but probably less than some. It does me to pile a load of shopping plus spares of things and the rain cover in though.

DS is still in the BJCM at 10 months, is on 91st centile and tall. The issue I can see with it is that the hood which folds back scrunches up and his head almost touches it now in fully sat up position. However, you can remove the hood easily and then it will last, or have the hood down a bit.

JBridgman Sat 13-Apr-13 13:53:31

thanks for all your advice :D

Ihateparties Sat 13-Apr-13 15:31:47

I put my 120somethingcm 98th centile 5 year old in my city mini gt this morning, his head is over the hood but his bum, legs and feet all fine. The hood rim is kinda low but otherwise the seat is really good for big kids. He would have fitted up to the age of 4 at a guess. Sounds as if you may have an off the charts tall baby but even so it would work up to age 3, which tbh is sufficient for the majority of people.

StrawberryMonkey Sat 13-Apr-13 20:36:31

Baby Jogger City Mini GT is fantastic. If you would like parent facing too, the Baby Jogger Versa or Versa GT is also excellent.

StrawberryMonkey Sat 13-Apr-13 20:37:55

Both the baby joggers I've mentioned are suitable for taller children too. Suits my near 5y old fine. :-)

Tiggywunkle Sat 13-Apr-13 21:55:17

I agree with all the above - look at all the Baby Jogger range - the City Mini, GT, Elite, Summit and Versa. They have some of the biggest seats around and if your child wont fit in those, then the other options are limited (but not impossible!). The other to look at for me would be the TFK Joggster Twist but its no good for public transport so stick with the Baby Joggers smile

MiaowTheCat Sun 14-Apr-13 10:40:02

Don't get too hung up on handlebar height - my husband's 6 foot 7 but it's never been handlebars that have been the real issue (although he possibly has arms like a gorilla) - it's been his stride length and where the body of the buggy lies (also rules out things like buggyboards for us unless I fancy months of a poor injured man to nurse).

Tiggywunkle Sun 14-Apr-13 15:14:14

Agreed TBH. Parties and I met a MNtter from here a couple of months ago. She was tall and had a tall stride and wanted a double pushchair. Surprisingly the Jane Twone worked better for her than the Oyster Max. So I think you need to send your OH shopping instead of you ;)

JBridgman Tue 16-Apr-13 10:51:33

Thanks for al this. Iv got the longer legs so my stride is longer. We are same hight. Looking like will be needing a double Now as I'm losing my job in July so will be becoming a childminder was allways the plan for 2014 after mine was born but looking at being a tad sooner now so will need a double for when mime arrives

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now