Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

bugaboo bee original not plus - help!

(18 Posts)
blackteaplease Wed 27-Mar-13 18:37:42

I have the original and love it. I think the bee+ sits more upright in pushchair mode than the bee but that's not a problem.

The buggy board is quite long but I have got used to that now, only thing is the elastic that is supposed to hook it up has never held. I just take it off completely if dd isn't around.

Also, I got mine in 2009 and the raincover was so flimsy that dd ripped it by kicking it. MIL bought me a new one when ds came along and it is much thicker so might be worth checking that out.

Yes, I had a Lascal Maxi on the Bee, it was a good fit. But the cocoon and footmuff were both about £80 new IIRC so if it's in good condition £300 is probably not way off, especially if it's worth it to you.

ghoulelocks Tue 26-Mar-13 12:20:28

Miaow, exactly what I did, or on ebay with the buy it now or best offer. I'm often hoping for about 75% of the price

MiaowTheCat Tue 26-Mar-13 12:19:16

I'd second the comments about gumtree and offers - I just sold a pushchair on there and deliberately listed it slightly high knowing I'd get knocked down a bit on the price I got for it.

ghoulelocks Tue 26-Mar-13 11:48:30

I got mine on ebay.

Gumtree is another option, they are always listed for a lot on there but people price them high and take offers so it's worth an email offer on one, even if it's say £200 offer £130 and quick pick up and go from there.

get a 2nd hand buggyboard too, the lascal is better than the bugaboo from many accounts. I got a second lascal hand one for a tenner (tatty-gumtree), twenty is quite common and they fit on the bee. People say the bugaboo one sticks out a long way.

Parasols are usually crap, the hood is HUGE and I personally find drapinga muslin over their legs provides better protection if you are moving an keep changing angles.

booboomonster Mon 25-Mar-13 21:13:41

Thanks everyone this is very helpful.

Interesting to hear the bee original is your preference shrewve and gwen. Think you are right about the parasol but I am planning a summer in france so you never know (and it's all coming as a pkg).

Where did you get yours ghoule? I would rather pay less, (obvs!) partly for same reasons as you - then if I don't get on with it resale will still be good.

I will check what date this one is.

It does seem a bit pricey but it was the buggyboard that I like the sound of too just in case my older child has a relapse and wants to ride rather than walk. I think they are 60/70 quid new.

This one does look in great nick though... hmm

Thanks very much all - I love mumsnet for getting experienced advice!

ghoulelocks Mon 25-Mar-13 21:06:29

I just bought an original bee last week for £140 in excellent condition with footmuff and cocoon, and that's in London. Even had manuals.

I love it! It may not last all the way but at that price I'm not too fussed as I'm sure I'll get a bit back too on re-sale. It's so nippy and quite good with a buggy board too. Iwouldn't get it new but it's beautiful for second hand and great to steer whilst holding a toddler hand too.

I believe it was the 2011 version that had the wheel issue. The original won't grow, but then I've heard a lot of breaking extenders for the seat anyway resulting in hoods whacking toddlers on the head.

I had two 2009 Bees and I'm currently using a Bee+. The wheel shimmying was on the Bee+ and I had to have the front wheels replaced after 1 week on my plus. Overall I think the original Bee is the better model. The seat is slightly smaller but the hood is bigger and better. I never had a problem with either of mine.

The cost of footmuffs and cocoons does mount up, agreed. Don't bother with the parasol though. Firstly all parasols are pointless shite! And secondly the hood is so big that you won't need it. smile

ShrewveTuesday Mon 25-Mar-13 21:00:37

I have a Bee original. Love it. Aesthetically I prefer it to the plus. The hood comes down quite a bit further on the original (which could be a problem as the child gets taller). Never had a problem with the wheels but don't do any off-roading with it, and I think that problem had been rectified by the time I bought mine - maybe check the purchase date of the one you're considering. The Bee+ can fit longer/older toddlers - but my Bee still fits my nearly three year old.

booboomonster Mon 25-Mar-13 21:00:20

thanks betty!

booboomonster Mon 25-Mar-13 21:00:07

thanks apple - but I can't seem to see any Bee+'s going for £300... (with extras)...

Also my toddlers never want to go in a buggy after aged 2...

BettyandDon Mon 25-Mar-13 20:58:36

Mine was the original @2009.

booboomonster Mon 25-Mar-13 20:58:13

Thanks so much for replies everyone, and tiokiko I will check those issues out.

betty was yours an original bee?

I read on the reviews on mumsnet that the wheel shimmy issue was with the new bee (the plus) but I've no idea!

Having done a bit of research it's not as expensive as it seems as it comes with cocoon, footmuff, parasol, buggy board, rain cover and cup holder. And it has hardly been used (but again, I can check that out).

But obviously need to get to the bottom of the wheel thing... I do walk a lot with a buggy...

The Bee is the older model. They are very similar but the Bee+ gives a bit more head height, one of the problems with the original is that toddlers outgrew it in height before outgrowing a pushchair.

I had a Bee and loved it for my babies, the cocoon is really nice for newborns and it folds up really small. However for £300 you might as well get a Bee+.

I think I sold mine for about £150 too, maybe even less..

BettyandDon Mon 25-Mar-13 20:50:15

I did replace the back 2 wheels. Both tore but this was after 4 years of heavy use and they were only £16 each or something.

The replacement ones available are the same as the front wheels where there is no chance of tearing (hard plastic).

I don't think that's bad when you consider that lots of buggies get real car like punctures and you end up not being able to get home from the shops.

BettyandDon Mon 25-Mar-13 20:46:22

Loved my bee no problems. Only traded up to the donkey once I had another baby (kindly gifted to us).

I would say though that £300 is a lot! I sold mine for £150. Thought that was the going rate unless it was very rarely used ie like at grandparents house or something.

tiokiko Mon 25-Mar-13 20:38:52

I thought the wheel problem was with the original Bee? We went for the Bee+ in the end, just after it came out, rather than a new or 2nd hand original. £300

As far as I remember some of the differences were - bigger (better) sun hood, wider/longer seat (I think the original had lots of complaints about being small so not lasting for long enough), better/bigger basket. Sure there are more but those are the main things I can remember.

Depending on what the extras are though, £300 seems a lot for a second hand Bee - it must be 5+ years old?

booboomonster Mon 25-Mar-13 20:31:21

Can anyone tell me the difference between the bee and bee +?

I am due with DC3, and have been happy with my previous pushchair (which is a big off roader type). But I really love the look of the bee, the compact size, design, and the potential nippyness (I am a city dweller).

I have been put off by the bad reviews on here, particularly about the wheels but it seems this might just be with the plus version. Anyway, an opportunity has come up to buy one second hand in very good condition, with all the extras that I need for £300 but it is a bee not a bee+ which seems to command more money on ebay, etc. I do need to factor this in to justify this purchase. So, would I be mad to go for it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now