Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Disappointed by the Baby Jogger Versa... Have I got it wrong?

(107 Posts)
Sunnysummer Sun 17-Feb-13 06:24:44

I was so sure we wanted a versa, as lots of my friends love their City Minis, and I liked the idea of the reversible seat... BUT when I finally got into the shop to compare them today, the Versa felt much heavier, really hard to imagine actually folding one handed, and a fair bit bigger. The city mini felt like an all round easier option...

However, the sales lady was a lot more experienced with the City Mini, and was also trying to upsell us to a Bugaboo (grr), so I thought maybe I didn't get a fair representation? What would you guys recommend?

Our needs are:
- Lots of walking in a hilly but urban and paved area, car journeys maybe once a week (so we're not too bothered about capsule compatibility), public transport journeys maybe twice a week (out of peak hour)
- *most challenging bit* 15 outdoor steps to get in and out of our building, so need to either take a bassinet in and out or be able to bump up/down
- usable from newborn (another feature that makes the mini more attractive, as it looks like we'd definitely have to buy a bassinet/capsule to use the versa early on)
- quite a bit of flying around to see family in year 1, so robust enough to withstand luggage handling!

Thank you for any help you can give us! :-)

Rooneyisalwaysmoaning Mon 18-Feb-13 19:04:14

Oh I know what struck me - for the size and length/footprint of the chassis, the seat unit is pretty compact - in fact I am sure it's smaller in all than the seat unit on the city mini. The hood is definitely smaller imo.

It feels/looks like you could feasibly attach a second seat onto the front of the chassis - I suppose like the Select. That's a bit odd.

Vivienne52 Mon 18-Feb-13 19:56:22

I think it maybe all sounded too good to be true. Tbh 12kg seems so friggin heavy. I really am not sure I want something so massive! But what else is there in the category? Parent facing option, sturdier than an umbrella fold but not a hefty travel system type?

Ihateparties Mon 18-Feb-13 20:12:04

As per all previous discussions and threads- Bee!

But it's too light and flighty for a lot of situations, there is a real lack of more substantially engineered alternatives. Really the Versa IS a hefty travel system type in size and weight. There are lots of lighter smaller parent facers, shorter, narrower etc. Folding in one piece facing both ways in a sensible shape is in short supply. The Jane Muum does, I keep looking at those but it also has its light and flighty feel too, not sure how it would fare longer term (although my twone has been fine with pretty heavy use over 8 months). Hmmm.

Vivienne52 Mon 18-Feb-13 20:18:58

Yes I don't want flighty, the bee is definitely out for us. Dh really doesn't like them, too flighty for him and I want something quite substantial ( but 12kg is a bit daft!)

Rooneyisalwaysmoaning Tue 19-Feb-13 08:31:32

does the oyster fold with the seat each way?

fraktion Tue 19-Feb-13 08:45:48

As a very frequent flyer you cannot beat a city mini. GT wheels I've never tried but I think with steps or any prolonged experience on gravel they would be much better.

I would get a soft bassinet that fits on the seat anyway for the first few months. When we got ours they only had the hard carrycot which is lovely but now I'm not sure I would have spent the extra money... Although it was handy when travelling to be able to collapse the pram and put DS asleep in bassinet on a train table or similar.

Rooneyisalwaysmoaning Tue 19-Feb-13 09:11:49

I've been comparing my bjcm and versa for a few days now - one ofthe main things I prefer in the versa is the fold, because I didn't realise before that you have to fiddle about with safety straps on the mini before folding it. they are such a faff and I can't do them with one hand, at all - though I guess you can undo those while the child is still in the buggy?
Is that how it works?
You don't have to undo anything on the versa - just fold down the seat back and pick it up by the handle.

So it's far more of a one hand job imo. Also realised the upward recline on the mini is really hard work - definitely two hand job to put the seat back UP, unless they have changed it since mine was built (2010 model apparently).

I've found all the reclines on the versa now and it's good. I like it. Ds3 likes it too. I think I'm going to sell my mini tbh and stick with a maclaren for lightweight stuff.

Vivienne52 Tue 19-Feb-13 09:25:29

I am beginning to wonder if i should just stick with the sola and hope ds grows into the maclaren (he went ballistic when I tried to take him out in it previously)..... My versa hasn't arrived yet. I am expecting to either love it or know straight way it isn't for me. Either way, I will get it out my system! My only issue with my maclaren (other than the fact he has hated it previously) is it is the lulu guiness limited edition and covered in butterflies - hahahahaha. poor wee ds.....

Badgerhoney Tue 19-Feb-13 09:45:32

I saw those red safety straps on the versa too. They're on the actual folding strap not the frame, so less noticeable,if that makes sense. Not sure how much anyone really bothers using these on either the versa or bjcm though. I looked at the oyster but it felt almost as heavy as the versa in the shop (11 something kg) and apparently not long lasting so ruled it out.

Badgerhoney Tue 19-Feb-13 10:01:51

Vivienne, good luck with the versa when it arrives. Be really interested to know what you think. I've got a versa and a bee waiting for me at the shop so am gonna have to decide which one one way or another. Only two weeks til I'm due, so a bit late for me to go back to the drawing board! Might have to toss a coin for it! confused A neighbour has an old 3 wheel air tyre beast for sale and dh says if I end up getting the bee, he might buy the other for off road stuff. I'm not convinced though as it's been in a shed for years and looks like a tractor!

Badgerhoney Tue 19-Feb-13 10:23:16

Think it's a quinny speedi btw.

Ihateparties Tue 19-Feb-13 10:28:22

I sorta get the feeling from this thread that lots of people are wanting the versa to be something other than what it is. We can't make it smaller or lighter by wishing campaigning to baby jogger on the other hand... badger it's so not too late, you can always swap later on grin Having just one pushchair inevitably involves compromises of one kind or another, you maybe really won't know until you actually start using a pushchair which compromise should be yours.

Sunnysummer Tue 19-Feb-13 10:47:27

Yay for campaigning to baby jogger! :-) I agree with ihateparties that the versa and the bee are actually far more different than how they are sometimes portrayed. badgerhoney - I remember seeing on another thread that you have stairs, did you actually try out the versa on a full set of stairs in the shop? I did, and for me (possibly because I'm a weakling) it was too heavy to easily bump up and down even without a baby, and too cumbersome to fold and unfold every time hmm

So looks like we'll be heading for the mini for now...In the meantime, do any of you lovely ladies have advice on whether we can go with the standard city mini or need the gt wheels?

Vivienne52 Tue 19-Feb-13 10:56:17

My heart is sinking a little...... I really wish the mini city hada reversible seat!!!!!!

Badgerhoney Tue 19-Feb-13 10:59:18

Parties- You're totally right. I thought the versa would be a reversible mini city, but really I guess it's more like a full sizer but with a more compact fold.
Maybe the bee for the shops/bus/cafe trips parent facing option and the second hand quinny speedi for day trips to parkland/woods/beach/snow forward facing only combo isn't such a bad idea. At least I had have a parent facing option for daily use and a proper off roader for back up when needed. Will check how much neighbour wants for it first though.

Ihateparties Tue 19-Feb-13 11:04:19

Sunnysummer For longevity i would get the gt wheels, long term they would be worth it. The normal ones will be okay, maybe it depends how much you walk? If it was me I could see myself regretting not having spent a bit extra at the beginning.

Badgerhoney Tue 19-Feb-13 11:12:33

Vivienne-me too!
Summer-I bumped the versa up and down the stairs in shop and it was manageable empty but defo way heavier than just picking the whole bee up and carrying it up the stairs. If it wasn't for the fact I can't seem to let go of the parent facing option I'd go for mini city GT. It felt a bit heavier to lift when folded in the shop than the standard mini city, but worth it for the wheels and adjustable handle bar, and it's 10kg so still lightish. If only I could talk myself into it, the endless pram saga could be over. Am more worried about the pram than the birth! wink

Vivienne52 Tue 19-Feb-13 11:15:18

Badger I feel the same.... I can't let go of parent facing...

Sunnysummer Tue 19-Feb-13 11:23:23

Vivienne and badgerhoney - me three!

I think that we've successfully talked ourselves into the mini now, maybe with the soft bassinet so we still have parent facing at the beginning... Given our travelling and need for stairs at home and with trains the bee is probably not robust or foldable enough for us, but would otherwise be a pretty good option too.

Was really hung up on parent facing at the beginning, but then I see how many of my friends have vistas and cameleons but end up using face-away Maclarens all the time after a few months, as is it so much lighter and more convenient. We also think that we always have the option for slings and baby carrying, and can invest all our extra cash from the mini into the ergo performance. I hope we'll be fine!

Vivienne52 Tue 19-Feb-13 11:37:14

I feel the same sunny. For the last few months ds has really needed parent facing but yesterday he fell asleep front facing! God knows. I still want the option. It was the fold and parent facing option that attracted me to the versa but it sounds a bit bulky tbh. I like the maclaren but too one rattley for our walk to nursery

Ihateparties Tue 19-Feb-13 11:41:08

The other thing you could do is track down a cheap ebay parent facer down the line if you really feel you're missing something. Also i saw some pics of a hauck 2 in 1 soft cot in a nipper double, they're about thirty quid and looked really good. Not sure how you'd fix it to the buggy but i bet you could. The petite star zia cocoon is good as it has a harness inside it. Also wedged up at the head end, i don't know if the city mini needs this to make the baby flat or not though.

Rooneyisalwaysmoaning Tue 19-Feb-13 13:02:11

That was me being inordinately stupid, Badger! Yes, quite right - I hadn't noticed the red safety straps on the versa, just thought Oh what a pretty red and black strap hmm so yes it does have them too.

Only it seems more worth doing them, with the versa, as it's a more substantial pushchair iyswim? and I don't find them so fiddly as on the BJCM somehow.

eh up. I'm sure there has to be an answer somewhere. Probably it lies in having more than one buggy tbh.

Rooneyisalwaysmoaning Tue 19-Feb-13 13:03:20

and I'm back to the old Frog frame in the boot of our car as nothing else seems to fit - and struggling with fitting the pebble on and off it. <sigh>

Vivienne52 Tue 19-Feb-13 18:00:21

Ok, it's here, it's up..... It's massive! I am in two minds. Will have aplay and get back to you....

Rooneyisalwaysmoaning Tue 19-Feb-13 19:48:52

Ooh! <waits>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now