Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Buggy for 'heavier' child?

(17 Posts)
Anathu Wed 13-Feb-13 21:14:28

AlanMoore - I love your comment with the poo!! what IS it with the dogs and owners in the UK? I've never seen this many piles anywhere before (lived here for 1 year now). They are everywhere - even on (!) fences! Ok, back to topic smile I might actually reconsider the 3-wheeler.

BikeRunSki - we didn't have problems with it either before coming here. Maybe it's the bus drivers, who are a bit crazy in our part of London. It has only tipped over while being on the bus...

milk and Ihateparties - Thanks for the tips! I will check the swift as well. Didn't even know Boots were selling buggies! :D I'm going to buy the new buggy second hand though. It's only for a year or maximum two.

Ihateparties Tue 12-Feb-13 13:20:02

I used my swift with a buggyboard too, there is space for the child to stand inside the handle. Really liked it, mine was an old one with protruding wheels hubs though, got caught on everything, the newer ones are flush and it's quite narrow at 59cm. Boots had them very cheap very recently, not sure if they still do.

milk Tue 12-Feb-13 12:00:20

Mountain Buggy Swift

Maximum child weight: 35kgs

BikeRunSki Mon 11-Feb-13 19:49:25

i've mostly used 3 wheelers (Quinny Buzz, P&T Sport, BJCM and Out n About Nipper 360) and have never had any stability problems.

vvviola Mon 11-Feb-13 10:10:05

Only stability problems I've ever had is when on tyre was totally flat, and then only when I was on a steep incline.

I haven't use a buggy board on it, but looking at the handle, if you folded it right down it wouldn't give any problems that I could see.

AlanMoore Mon 11-Feb-13 09:53:01

The only disadvantage of three wheels is that you can't go over dog poo. Not had any stability problems, it doesn't feel tippy.

Anathu Sun 10-Feb-13 22:38:54

AlanMoore and BikeRunSki - Thanks! Do you think that the 3-wheeler is stable? I have a 3-wheeler now and it has tipped over a few times with the child inside sad That's why I'm looking for the 4-wheeler. Bad news about the buggy board though... If it's not comfy, it's probably a deal breaker. I have to try it out in a store!

Trazzletoes - Thanks! I like the P&T and we were looking at it when we were going to buy a tandem. Have you used a buggy board with it?

vvviola - Thanks! Scary story with the leg! :S We were actually thinking about the Mountain buggy +One at an earlier stage. Have you used a buggy board with the one you have?

lljkk - I'm not saying that it would harm the child to use a buggy with a lower weight limit. In fact, we have a single buggy with max weight 15 kgs, which both of my boys have been riding in together at several occasions (that's 26 kgs at least). The frame is quite bent and it does not feel safe to use anymore, even with one child in it. We won't be doing this kind of stunts in the new buggy, but I would prefer if it was tested for a certain weight. To ease my mind. To know that the buggy won't fold or break with the child inside. A lot of buggies out there are very poorly constructed.

lljkk Sat 09-Feb-13 08:23:28

I never paid attention to weight limits & therefore used pushchairs for kids above the published numbers (up to 6 yo). What harm was this supposed to cause? DC all out of buggies now, I can't see that any harm was done.

vvviola Sat 09-Feb-13 07:51:19

It's a three-wheeler, but our Mountain Buggy is rated up to 34kg here in NZ. Came in very handy when DD1 age 5 burnt her leg when we were out recently long story, don't ask!

Popped DD2 in backpack carrier we had with us and DD1 into buggy & made tracks for first aid area smile Carrying her that distance would have been a nightmare & there was no way she was walking anywhere until she calmed down!

AlanMoore Sat 09-Feb-13 07:44:58

Agree about the handle, mines diddy though so I set it high & stand her under it usually.

BikeRunSki Sat 09-Feb-13 07:34:34

I love my 3 wheel Baby Jogger City Mini, and used it with DS when he was 15 kg. Difficult to use with a buggy board (I borrowed one for a couple of days) because of the single handle. Too low to go over DS's head, not big enough for DS to stand through it.

Trazzletoes Sat 09-Feb-13 07:30:56

My p&t takes more than 15 kg - I know this because we bought it specifically. It is only a 3 wheeler tho.

AlanMoore Sat 09-Feb-13 07:27:00

Never encountered a 4 wheel but I can vouch for the GT. my toddler prefers to walk so using the board is a bit stressful but pushing's fine!

Anathu Fri 08-Feb-13 21:46:57

Thank you both!

I don't really like the I'coo, since it has a split handlebar, but the info on weight limits abroad is great news! smile I'll have a look on non-UK sites, to check the buggies I'm interested in.

Baby Joggers truly are fab! I'm particularly interested in the 4-wheel City Mini. Do you have any experience with it, AlanMoore? Do you know if it's comfortable to push with a buggy board attached?

AlanMoore Thu 07-Feb-13 15:51:27

Baby Joggers are fab & tested up to about 30kg in Aus I believe...

DonnaH678 Thu 07-Feb-13 15:47:18

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Anathu Wed 06-Feb-13 23:58:02

I'd like to buy a buggy for my 2yo, but almost every buggy I find has a maximum weight of 15kgs (he weights 13.5 now). Can someone recommend a buggy that can take more than that?

I'm looking for a buggy with 4 wheels, one handlebar and possibility to attach a buggy board.

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now