Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Dyeing pram fabric

(4 Posts)
TwitchyTail Mon 28-Jan-13 17:06:38

<embarrassing and potentially daft question alert>

I picked up a second-hand carrycot for my pushchair. It's in perfect condition and was incredibly cheap. But... it's green. Or at least the hood and pram apron are. I want it to be black blush

The green bits are a nylon/polyester type fabric. The pram apron is removable but the hood is not.

Is there a way of dyeing the fabric without removing it? Doesn't have to be perfect or machine washable, just safe for the baby and good enough to stand up to a few months of use.

barleysugar Mon 28-Jan-13 17:17:14

I think the answer is no, sadly. Nylon and polyester don't really pick up the colour in dyes. You might be able to make it marginally darker green with a black dye but it might also rub off on everything!

Could you buy a custom made hood in a funky colour way off eBay? You can obviously sell these separately when the time comes.

tutu100 Mon 28-Jan-13 17:19:52

What brand of carry cot is it? Is the hood definately not removable. I agree with barleysugar, synthetic fabrics do not dye well and don't dye the true colour. Normally though with most brands of pushchairs you can buy hoods etc in other colours and change them over. Also if the fabric is waterproof (which most pushchair fabrics are), it won't take a dye as the coating will repell it.

TwitchyTail Mon 28-Jan-13 19:17:58

Thanks to both of you - I thought that would be the case, never mind. It's the Baby Jogger Compact Carrycot. I'd heard about fabric dye and shoe dye (!) possibly being used, but good point about it rubbing off on things.

I'll just learn to love the green grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now