Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Doubting my perfect double buggy even exists!

(24 Posts)
Sleepstarved Mon 28-Jan-13 11:56:31

Need:
- Inline double suitable from birth and for taller than average toddler
- Three wheeler or at least big four wheels to cope in woods
- Good reclines on both seats, but particularly for younger child
- Like it to take maxi cosi pebble car seat
- Like some shopping space

Looked at side by sides but DH says even new Out n About Nipper at 72cm wide is too wide.
Phil and Ted's Navigator - doesn't really have good enough recline on underneath seat
Jane Powertwin pro (I think that's the right name) - was told v heavy and hardly anywhere stocks it as consequence
Baby Jogger City Select - small wheels, and worse has two-prong style front wheels which clog easily and expensive with all extras needed.
Mountain Buggy + One - very fiddly with lots of straps, poppers and zips, no recline in double mode.

Any ideas on lesser known makes or should I give up?

Ihateparties Mon 28-Jan-13 13:36:06

It's hard to find terrain tandems, even harder to find them with good reclines. Do you need it for the woods mostly or for something else, as in why is width an issue? Obviously the nipper won't take a car seat and I don't know how important that aspect is to you, from what you have said I can't help but think it's the closest. I can't think of anything at all off the cuff that fits all your criteria.

Have you looked at the tfk joggster twist with buddy seat? The buddy seat doesn't recline though. If the navigator recline isn't enough for you I can't think of a tandem with a flat recline on both seats.

Hmmmm.

bbface Mon 28-Jan-13 13:38:15

I am in exactly the same position, and I have just paid my deposit for the Oyster max. Released 10/02. Check it out!

bbface Mon 28-Jan-13 13:38:55

I am in exactly the same position, and I have just paid my deposit for the Oyster max. Released 10/02. Check it out!

Sleepstarved Mon 28-Jan-13 13:59:40

parties, I will probably use it in the woods as much as walking into the village for nursery drop off/cafe/shops ect.
Then there'd be once or twice weekly car trip into town, or for walk with friends with it. But we have a car with a big boot anyway.

DH is really against side by sides as he crashes our current Silver Cross Surf in shops (this is a rubbish buggy by the way and gets stuck in the woods all the time due to crappy front wheels with that bracket/two prong attachment).
Getting it round the side of our house and into the back door would also be tight.

bbface, thanks for Oyster Max tip, not seen it before. It looks like the Baby Jogger only less £££. Still has small front wheels though and back seat not suitable for under six months.

I am not sure there is an inline with a decent recline on the underneath seat, so do you end up putting the younger one in the upper seat and risk tipping?

Tiggywunkle Mon 28-Jan-13 14:08:25

I would look at the TFK Joggster Twist with Buddy Seat and the Multi X carrycot / seat on top. Its also got tons of room for your shopping too. I am sure it takes a car seat too.
The +One really is not fiddly at all because once the zips are undone, you never need do them up again. They all stay happily open. However I wouldn't recommend it for a newborn unless your toddler will be walking within 6 months when you would essentially revert back to a good off road single.
Some of the Phil & Teds have good reclines eg the Navigator, but you would need to watch the pushchair if your toddler were to climb out first when on top.
The Powertwin is a pushchair with an identity crisis. I wouldn't get it - not least for the very short knee to footrest length. Most toddlers end up resting their feet on the front wheel! Not good!
I am not sure I would use the Oyster Max off road in woods hmm although its a lovely pushchair.

Tiggywunkle Mon 28-Jan-13 14:09:41

And yes, give up after that smile I dont know of anything else other than the ABC Adventure Buggy - single with toddler seat on top but thats a beast for the car or shops although I love it for off roading!

Sleepstarved Mon 28-Jan-13 15:10:07

hummm, this TFK Joggster looks interesting Tiggy.
Not seen or heard of it before. Would be expensive with all the bits but might mean no compromise on 3-wheels all terrain, lie flat/recline for baby and not so much a problem for toddler as they are in back...
Need to find it in a shop to have a play with and stick DD in...
thanks

Nanny01 Mon 28-Jan-13 16:51:06

What about the micralite twofold when's that available ?

Nanny01 Mon 28-Jan-13 17:11:08

Looks like its may any good Tiggy?

notnagging Mon 28-Jan-13 17:13:03

My friend has the oyster and loves it. I know it costs a bit but she swears its worth it

Ihateparties Mon 28-Jan-13 17:13:25

I have the oyster max currently, the recline on the back seat is barely a recline unless they have changed it on the production one it's much less than on the navigator. Also it won't cope in the woods, it's not designed for that. Having the baby on top and toddler underneath is usually a less tippy set up ime. Unless it's the sort of p and t where it tells you to always take the lower child out first. Otherwise they're designed to be stable with a child in the back.. so far as i know.

The micralite actually could work but the add on seat also doesn't recline.

Tiggywunkle Mon 28-Jan-13 17:19:49

The TFK Joggster Twist is one of the best off roaders I have had. Plus its pretty narrow but yet has a MASSSSSSSIVE seat unit.
They do come up on Ebay now and again and are often pretty cheap simply because no one knows of them. But they are really good quality German designed pushchairs and I like them a lot. The ONLY issue I have is that there are no wheel guards for the lower child - which may or may not be an issue. It was for us, but it isn't for the person who bought ours off us. Plus if everything else works fine I am sure it wouldn't be too hard to rig up something to stop the lower child touching the wheels. The lower seat has a slight incline on it, so that I think a child could probably sleep in it without head loll but I haven't tried it with a sleeping child.

The Micralite Twofold could well work if you dont need a recline for the older child. The second seat is fixed.

Rhienne Mon 28-Jan-13 19:44:41

We've just ordered a MB Duet. Side by side but the same width as a wide single. One big factor for me was the full recline for both.

JeanBodel Mon 28-Jan-13 19:46:02

Inglesina Domino?

Britax b dual.
I have used it from when I had a newborn and and a two year old and am still using it with a 2 and large 4 year old.
It's cracking. Comfy for long walks, like having an off-road Pram. I suppose it is quite chunky, but there's loads of shopping space and my two boys love it. We have literally gone miles in it. It all disassembles too so you can use it ad a you-facing single. Love it!

Sleepstarved Mon 28-Jan-13 21:55:31

Thank you all, I think we need to look at the microlite (would front wheels cope off road?) joggster twist (is buddy seat comfy and have enough space with carrycot on?) and MB duet (it must have been the duo I saw as it def was too wide for standard doors).
Are the seats not too narrow for a toddler in the duet?
Now to find one shop near us that stocks them all!
I think the Inglesina is just too big and not sure the Britax would cope off road as has tiny front wheels with forks.
I swear I have bought cars more easily than this!

Tiggywunkle Mon 28-Jan-13 23:41:30

Micralites are well known for being good off road although how the Twofold is, is yet to be seen. The Joggster Twist buddy seat is comfy. If I remember correctly there is a special adaptor to push the Multi X carrycot forwards so that the buddy seat can fix on fine. But you would need to ask.
I hated my Duet - it would be fine with twins, but with siblings its problematic. They are just too close and my eldest, even though she's lovely, just wanted to talk to her sleeping brother, or poke him. We had to remove her shoes on every outing because she kicked his bare feet every time she moved her feet. It just didn't work.

Rhienne Tue 29-Jan-13 08:35:34

I've done lots of asking around re fitting a toddler in a Duet and found a mixed bag of responses. Some say it didn't work for them, others that it was fine with a bigger toddler and they love it.

As it ticked so many of my boxes, and nothing else came close, we're giving it a go. DS (now 22 months) loved sitting in it in the store, and we've ordered the carry cot, so hopefully that'll keep the LO out of easy reach for the first months.

Fingers crossed it works for us! smile

cheapandchic Tue 29-Jan-13 14:30:34

Duet is amazing. I love it. my huge toddler fits in it just fine, she fills the seat completely but never complains and asks to go in it all the time.

Sleepstarved Tue 29-Jan-13 14:34:13

Tiggy have you had every pushchair on the market?

I think we just need to try these out and settle on one.

bbface Tue 29-Jan-13 23:05:34

Ihateparties... What do you think of the oyster max? I plan to have newborn in carrycot inward facing on top for the first three month. I loved the fact that it easily transforms into a single. Would be very interested to hear your thoughts. My elder dc will be 2.7 when baby arrives.

Ihateparties Tue 29-Jan-13 23:30:10

Hummm i don't have the carrcot or height increasers that seemingly exist this is the best set of pics i can find to show it, there is a sequence of two, one with the increasers, one without. I suspect it will be very tight. I can't say for sure. My 2y 10m old, who is ordinarily pretty tolerant wasn't happy with the top seat parent facing. If the height increasers worked with the seat too that would help but again i have no idea. As it stands the issue i hit with dcs the age of mine is the lower seat doesn't recline much for 10m old dc3 to nap and if i put her in the upper seat she also can't recline because of the lower seat being occupied. It's manageable at nearly 1 but would have bothered me a lot at 5 or 6 months. If your dcs tolerated the upper seat on pf, that would solve it. As would additional recline on the lower seat.

Tiggywunkle Wed 30-Jan-13 00:59:54

I have had a lot sleepstarved especially doubles!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now