Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Double advice for running?

(6 Posts)
Tiggywunkle Sat 19-Jan-13 14:56:15

You really dont want to run with a +One. Its fabulous as a walking pushchair but would tip fairly easily I would have thought if you tried to run with it!

scarecrow22 Fri 18-Jan-13 23:32:32

Thanks. Some good tips. I ran with DD til 17 weeks pg! Used my Bugaboo and was okay up to 5-7k. Longer runs (in my dreams!) will be without buggy. Just don't have DH around enough to get in exercise otherwise!
More advice welcome

HypatiaTheProcrastinator Fri 18-Jan-13 23:31:04

Wheels should be a minimum of 12" for smooth surface running, 16" for a bit of offroad and 20" for serious offroad. Basically, the bigger the better. A MB +One is absolutely not a running pushchair. Yes, 6 months is generally considered a minimum age but as I said, ideally 12 months is more suitable. A helmet will act as a shock absorber for the baby's/toddler's head reducing the risk of injury. You can get helmets with flattish backs which are good for use in a running pushchair, I can't think of the name of the one I know of.

JoulesM Fri 18-Jan-13 23:01:15

It's actually safe once the baby has good independent sitting (and head control). That's usually somewhere around 6-7 months. It's actually quite tough to run with a single so I can't imagine a double would be much fun. I've run with a couple of different types of singles...Baby Jogger Summit (and they also do a performance super light single but baby def has to be old enough to sit independently for that one). The other nice buggy to run with is the Chariot. It's not cheap and does come as a double but I'm not sure for that would handle. I think the Out and About probably doesn't have big enough tyres to be a comfortable ride. Mountain Buggy I can't comment on by the +1 might be worth a look in terms of practicality. P&T...are a tank, can't imagine ever running with ours!

Tbh I'm a pretty keen runner and given a choice I would much prefer to find a buggy free time to run!!

Not sure why you'd have to put a helmet on yr baby?? I've never done it and our oldest is 2yrs. My toddler loves it though and we get lots of shouts of 'faster mummy'...I wish smile

The final thing to consider is how tall you are as some have adjustable height handles which are very helpful and add to running comfort!!

Happy running (and sorry for the long and slightly garbled message).

HypatiaTheProcrastinator Fri 18-Jan-13 22:26:11

You really need to be looking at two separate pushchairs. Running is very dangerous with a baby, ideally you should wait until they're 12 months to do it and then put a helmet on the children and use a pushchair with a minimum of 12" wheels, preferably more like 16" or more. I've seen plenty on the likes of eBay but couldn't give you any personal recommendations unfortunately.

scarecrow22 Fri 18-Jan-13 21:54:38

Hi, expecting DC2 in April when DD will be 2y 4m. Despite DD being good walker/scooter (and generally not wanting go in buggy) think need a double as seldom use a car.

DD was and is always tall for age, and as I and DH are modestly tall will assume DC2 might be too.

I am keen to get back into running, probably usually when DD at CM or with a friend,so a double which I can jog/run with off road important.

Live in suburbia so a narrow side-by-side or a tandem, depending on push ability with one and two in.

Car size not too important as will prob keep one of my singles in boot with a buggy board/sling for the odd car trips.

Re weight I'm moderately strong, though due to have another C-section...

I originally preferred MB plus one or P&T Sport as can turn into a single when DD no longer needs, but increasingly think if keep a single (Maclaren XT (prob) or Bugaboo Chameleon) not necessary?

We live in a small (well v full!) house so can't keep all 3!

Will buy 2nd hand.

Thanks so much

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now