Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Mamas and Papas and Mothercare

(9 Posts)
notdueforages Fri 11-Jan-13 16:22:18

Hello

I am expecting DC2 and I live in a small town so only have these two shops locally. I have read loads of reviews and lurked on here a lot and I am wondering if there is any reason not to just buy a Mamas and Papas or Mothercare pram. I'm not fussed about a trendy brand or anything but I do want something practical and comfortable.

I could make a trip to Lakeside Kiddicare or to Bluewater if I had to. the more I read, the more confused I get. Surely a basic pram from one of these shops is ok? But the comments on here lead me to believe I am being too blase.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has bought from them, especially the Mamas and Papas Sola.

nextphase Fri 11-Jan-13 20:15:12

Personally (having been lent a M&P pramette) I'd go to mothercare out of that choice - and buy a maclaran from them!
Or just buy it online from kiddicare or similar!

Eskino Fri 11-Jan-13 20:21:51

We have a Sola. It's been used for miles daily and had a good bashing about for the past 2 years. We are only getting rid because we need a double (in 2 weeks eek). I love it. Especially the ease of switching between parent and world facing.

cloutiedumpling Fri 11-Jan-13 20:25:54

I was in both of these shops recently looking at buggies and got great customer service. I went on a quiet shopping day and had shop assistants falling over themselves to show me the functions of various buggies. I'd be tempted to go to the shops so you can see what you like and then buy from the internet as other places can be cheaper.

Tiggywunkle Sat 12-Jan-13 01:13:11

I wouldn't go to either - until you have a fair idea of what you want. Research on the internet is so easy these days and if at least you have done your homework you will know the pros and cons and what to head towards. There's a lot at both stores that I wouldn't touch with a bargepole TBH. There are some good brands in Mothercare though - but they may or may not have them on display and they may also not stock the full range eg I dont think Mothercare sell the Baby Jogger Versa but I believe they do the City Mini.

You can always buy online - and you have several days in which you can return a pushchair if you don't like it. But something like for example a Mutsy Evo is a great pushchair, good quality, good value for money and IMHO is far better than an M&P Sola (one of my worst pushchairs ever).

I would get a feel for what you want / need / like and then work out where to buy it.

notdueforages Sun 13-Jan-13 11:26:33

Thanks all for some good advice smile

The problem is that they are both small branches and don't stock much so it's hard to try the out in the store. I feel a trip to somewhere bog coming on...if only so that I can them all out before buying cheaper online

TwitchyTail Sun 13-Jan-13 11:55:37

I suggest you go and have a look but leave your purse at home. I hear of a lot of people who are given a bit of a hard sell and feel pressured into buying straight away. It never hurts to get ideas and then go home to check reviews, online prices, alternatives etc smile

Ihateparties Sun 13-Jan-13 13:13:25

I think you are right re a trip somewhere big. Also if it was me i would forget stuff if i saw a lot at once so maybe photos and v short notes on what you liked and didn't. Also go with an idea of what your priorities are in terms of size, fold, weight, style etc etc. Then come home and digest before you commit to buy :-)

homeaway Sun 13-Jan-13 13:30:58

I was in Jl in blue water the other week and they had loads of prams on display, no idea of brands as I was not looking at them, they seemed to have a lot . I was there in the evenning and it was quite quiet and that was close to christmas so if you cant manage during the day you could maybe go in the evening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now