Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Pram advice for after c-section

(18 Posts)
My5boysandme Fri 11-Jan-13 12:21:46

Posting for my sil. She is pregnant with dc3 after an 8 year gap. So needs to get herself a new pram. She would really like to get a proper pram, however she doesn't think she can, due to having a csection and not being able to push anything to heavy.

Her requirements are
Fairly light
Car seat can be attached to frame
Doesn't necessarily have to be a proper pram, but she had a graco travel system last time and wants something a bit more pram like.
Lastly not too expensive, she has nothing on for this baby so her budget is low due to this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Ihateparties Fri 11-Jan-13 13:11:23

Would she consider second hand and what sort of general budget level?

If the budget is very low i suppose i would ask if she wants something brand new but lower quality or something used but better built? It's not always as simple as that, there are the odd exceptions but as a general rule.

My5boysandme Fri 11-Jan-13 17:19:17

Shes quite happy to have second hand, I think £200ish.

She just doesn't really know what would be light and practical

peanutMD Fri 11-Jan-13 18:07:01

I had an EMCS 6 years ago and had no issues pushing my 13kg Emmaljunga 5 days later, so lightweight is not always the easiest option.

I found lightweight generally meant harder to push as wheels were often smaller.

I have a Babystyle Luxe to use for DC2 after an ELCS in 8 Weeks, I got it for £80 from my local Facebook selling page so these can often be worth a look smile

The Jane Slalom Pro might be worth watching out for as its quite lightweight (about 9kg IIRC) and you can get a carrycot for it.

My5boysandme Fri 11-Jan-13 18:17:54

I have the Jane slalom and she thinks that's far too heavy. She's adamant it has to be lightweight as she couldn't push anything after her last section. I offered to take her to one of those big shops to try out some prams. Just thought I could maybe email her a few suggestions.

My5boysandme Fri 11-Jan-13 18:28:09

I have the Jane slalom matrix even

ceeveebee Fri 11-Jan-13 18:45:58

I had a c section and was pushing my twins in their 19kg icandy tandem pram within 2 weeks as were all the other twin mums I know. By all means get a light pram but its probably not necessary unless planning to lift in and out of car boots etc.. Easy steering is probably more important.

peanutMD Fri 11-Jan-13 19:17:32

Wow i don't think there's anything substantial but pram like that's lighter than the Slalom.

Ihateparties Fri 11-Jan-13 19:42:57

I agree that light push and easy steering is more important than light in literal weight unless there is going to be a lot of lifting involved. I suspect that a used better pram would be better in this case but there is some decent new stuff also for between 2 and 300.

Used suggestions:

Mountain Buggy Urban with carrycot
Mountain Buggy swift with carrycot
iCandy cherry with carrycot.
I wouldn't discount something like an emmaljunga either but steering the fixed wheel ones is a bit more effort.
Bugaboo Gecko (would be cheapest and lightest bugaboo with bigger wheels, to lift and push if what I've heard is correct)
Old Bugaboo Bee

New stuff suggestions (some pushing the budget a bit but there are always discount codes knocking about):

Graco Evo - very very light, easy to use. £270 or less with a discount code
Jane Muum - again very light to steer and lift, folds with seat on in both directions which is a great feature. £250, again maybe a discount code available
Britax B Smart - I hear these are okay and it's a decent brand for a low price. £170ish.
None of these have carrycots for the price but have lie flat seats (even though the Jane claims to be from 6m it's pretty flat, there's a pic on my profile of one in full recline if you want to see)
Hauck Turbo or Shopper - these are bargain city but I've not really got any info on what they are like to push and use.

Jeggie Fri 11-Jan-13 19:45:51

Well, I chose a pushchair that was lightweight for this reason... And kinda wish I had chosen something more long term. I got other people to push if I was in pain and barely went out in early days anyway. And now baby is so big, the few kg I saved on a light buggy I curse as my buggy has small wheels and is not a smooth push. another time I would prob carry the baby in a wrap for those first weeks if i went out (much lighter than any buggy) and look forward to an easy push with a big wheeled buggy once I'm able to do that. Maybe your friend is going to buy a different buggy once they are heavy? My buggy is not a pram, so no recommendation there... It's a maxi cosi mila. Is v easy to get in the car despite other things I've said. Think it's 7kg or something like that. Lies flat.

I managed to haul my quinny buzz with carrycot up and down a flight of stairs daily from 1wk post ELCS. If her last section was an emcs she might find it very different after ELCS

Ihateparties Fri 11-Jan-13 19:50:29

Scariest that sounds like an ordeal best avoided if at all possible!

AmandinePoulain Fri 11-Jan-13 19:55:09

I've got a Babystyle Oyster and had an ELCS, it was fine - I was doing the school run when the holidays ended 3 weeks later and pushing it around town long before that. I had a Graco Mosaic for dd1 (EMCS) and that was more of a struggle although I couldn't tell you why!

I was leant a carrycot for it, and with a Britax carseat and colour pack I paid £400 altogether but there are loads on eBay for less. I have had problems with it - I'm on my third chassis - but Babystyle's customer service is fantastic. It's really easy to manoeuvre and fairly compact.

Tiggywunkle Sat 12-Jan-13 01:18:35

I agree with the others in many ways. I had an EMCS followed by a ELCS and the latter was much better. But for both I had to get the child(ren) into pushchairs fairly quickly to get myself walking to the hospital for check ups / medication before I could drive. Its amazing what you have to do when you have no choice! There aren't many pushchairs I would consider that heavy that an ELCS would hamper pushing it - not even double pushchairs! Lifting is more of an issue, but by the time she can drive again at circa 6 weeks, lifting should be fine.

I would say have a look at the Baby Jogger range - City Mini / GT / Versa; the Musty Evo; the Babystyle Oyster; MyChild Pinto and iCandy Cherry as starting points.

HypatiaTheProcrastinator Sat 12-Jan-13 11:15:56

I would second the suggestions of Bugaboo Gecko (or Frog or Cameleon) and a BabyStyle Oyster. The Mutsy Evo is one I'd have suggested but I haven't tried it myself. It always makes sense to go for a reasonably lightweight pushchair if you're ever going to be lifting it into a car or up stairs, why make life harder than it needs to be?!

nocake Sat 12-Jan-13 11:23:24

We were given a pram when DD was born and it was rubbish. Far too heavy and hard to steer. Instead we used an iCandy Cherry with a carrycot. It's light, easy to steer and versatile. You can fit a car seat on it or use the standard seat, when the LO is a bit older.

notfarmingatthemo Sat 12-Jan-13 17:34:20

I had a britax pram when I had my c section. was lighter that a maclaren and much easier to push. It separated into two and had fixed wheel. Fixed wheels are easier to push as it doesn't pull to one side if there is a camber.

My5boysandme Sat 12-Jan-13 22:13:52

Thank you all will pass this on to my sil. thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now