Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Buggy bag- yes or no?

(11 Posts)
aimingtobeaperfectionist Tue 13-Nov-12 23:42:32

So I've saved my pennies and bought a new maclaren for DD as we go abroad soon. I know I'm being a bit PFB about it all but it cost me a fair bit, had to save for ages, it's brand new and I'd really like it to last her as well as any other DC we may have in future.
Am I being sensible or daft?
I'm just thinking of how they chuck things on and off the plane. Am aware it won't protect it totally but having taken her car seat to Ireland and having it broken due to someone just yanking at it, I'm feeling a bit preciOus about this trip.
I've not even wheeled it around outside yet...

aimingtobeaperfectionist Tue 13-Nov-12 23:43:07

lucidlady Tue 13-Nov-12 23:46:45

Will you be taking it to the gate or putting in the hold at check-in?

aimingtobeaperfectionist Tue 13-Nov-12 23:52:22

In an ideal world I'd take it tothe gate and put it in a bag there but now I've read if it's in a bag it goes through at check in?

lucidlady Fri 16-Nov-12 23:11:22

I think if it goes on at the gate it's loaded manually, which might protect it more.

Tiggywunkle Sat 17-Nov-12 01:38:50

I disagree....anything put on at the gate, ends up coming off the plane first at the other end, thus is buried under all the luggage that gets thrown on top of it. I personally would be happy for a Maclaren to just be thrown in the pile, but I can well understand having saved up for something and wanting to look after it. I would certainly buy a travel bag and put it in it when you get to the gate. Theres plenty of time usually just before you board the plane to put it in.

We've taken our buggy on far too many flights, yes it will get battered and scruffy in the hold, no two ways about it.
It will still though, be perfectly usable, and to be honest the faff of rushing to put it in a, bag especially on a flight say to Ireland where seats aren't allocated, just isn't worth it.

aimingtobeaperfectionist Sat 17-Nov-12 21:24:41

We're going further than Ireland this time. When we went to Ireland I'd got a cheap scrappy one that it didn't matter if it got bashed. This one I havnt even used yet! Took me ages to save and I'd like to keep it for the 2nd DC too.
When I've flown before we left the buggy at the gate (assuming it was last of luggage on?) and got it back at gate as we landed (assumed it was first off so possibly less damage?).
There's two of us taking DD so it wouldn't be a problem getting buggy into a bag but I don't want to buy one, take it then them say it's got to go with the rest of the luggage at check in.

Tiggywunkle Sat 17-Nov-12 21:30:51

Phone the airline up and ask but I am sure if you whip the bag out before you board, they shouldn't quibble???
You were lucky getting your pushchair back! I have flown tons with children and only once got the pushchair back, and that was when the pushchair was put inside the aircraft.

Olympicrock Sat 17-Nov-12 21:33:05

I used a buggy bag to protect mine. It doubled up as it had loads of room in it so could shove in the extra stuff that helped in the car and airport but didn't actually need on the plane.

aimingtobeaperfectionist Sat 17-Nov-12 21:36:49

Tiggy- you only got you buggy back once?! You mean they lost all the others?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now