Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

how to make a choice - help needed!

(12 Posts)
Wirrick Mon 12-Nov-12 10:21:57

Helloo. I've 7 wks to go before 1st bub ETA and resisted temptation of all baby items until now. I thought I'd start my mat leave with pram/travel system/car seat purchase as the most practical and feel more overwhelmed than while I was at work!!!
Choice made (Silver Cross 3D travel system) only to discover car seat won't fit. We don't have Isofix as old car and struggling to pick a seat based on size, baby weight etc.
Friends all have Isofix so can't ask their advice.
Any advice on how to go about the purchase would be greatly received.

Thanks
smile

smable Mon 12-Nov-12 13:51:43

I've heard the 3d is a horrible pram so you've had a lucky break really. I don't have isofix so we have a maxi cosi easybase2 with pebble carseat which will fit on loads of pushchairs, britax also do a car seat base that fits with seat belt so you could look at pushchairs that fit their seat too. Although picking a pushchair to fit a car seat is not the best idea really you would be better off finding a pram thats right then getting the best car seat for your car, even if it means they don't work with each other.

Wirrick Mon 12-Nov-12 15:12:49

Thanks smable for your reply and advice. I think you're right about matching the seat with the pram and we may go for one to leave in the car. Thanks a mill for that. Im searching for those you suggest as we speak x

oohlaalaa Mon 12-Nov-12 15:19:26

We've bought the Uppababy Vista, and Maxi Cosi Cabriofix. We're not bought the isofix base, and planning on using the seat belt. SIL does not have the isofix base, and says that you soon get used to using the seat belt.

Wirrick Mon 12-Nov-12 21:14:34

We tried a few in Halfords today and one problem (other than the awful, unhelpful staff - one answered his phone while showing us the seats) is the length of the seatbelts on such an old model of car so the seat we will go for will be very small and making it a teeny pool of options we have.

Thanks so much for the advice. I'd not realised it would be so complicated x

Ihateparties Mon 12-Nov-12 21:19:04

We have very short belts, a belted base is great for this. I have a britax babysafe that has to stay permanently belted in (because the base would not fit alongside the other two seats) belting something in that is very tight to do with an ever growing baby in it is impossible!

MisForMumNotMaid Mon 12-Nov-12 21:19:15

seat belt extender. We use these in our Hyundai I10 so that we can fit two booster seats next to the baby seat and still get the seat belts in.

Joiyuk Wed 14-Nov-12 15:40:09

If you go to your local mothercare they will let you try lots of different car seats to find your perfect one smile

What have you got? I can get a cabrio fix in the back of an old micra with a bit of jiggling.

Otherwise the maxi cosi easy base is a belted base.

Olympicrock Wed 14-Nov-12 20:45:21

Can you get to kidicare? Their staff are amazing at sorting which car seat for which car and they stock pretty much everything over 3 huge floors!

Wirrick Fri 16-Nov-12 08:56:55

We can't get to kidicare but I've had a look at their website and looks great, their delivery options are great.
Thanks for all the suggestions, its been a great help - we are off to buy this wknd.
X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now