Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Bugaboo Bee (old model) for 16mo and up?

(22 Posts)
Marylis Mon 21-Oct-13 06:52:54

Might be a bit too late but just in case it might be helpful to others smile I too bought a second hand bugaboo with the same problem, hood clamp broken and was told by the Bugaboo authorised service center that it would cost £62 for parts and labour plus another £30 for pickup and delivery. Buggy pitstop said the part would be £36 plus £25 labour, so about the same but with the option of pitstop drop off.

Anyway, I was able to find the part on eBay, buy it now for £25 with free delivery, and it just snaps into place so easy to repair yourself with two flat head screwdrivers to lever the old one out. The search term I used was "bugaboo bee outer hood clamp" and make sure you get the right one! There are four hood clamps and they are all different depending on whether they are left or right (check their definition of left or right too - are you facing or pushing the pushchair? Is the seat world or parent facing?) and whether they are inner or outer.

Once you've installed the part, make sure the elastic bits on your hood fabric are working and that you strap the hood on properly. I reckon the original hood clamp snapped because the elastic had broken on the hood, causing the rod to come out a bit and exert pressure on the weakest part of the clamp when the previous owner tried to open/close the hood.

stillfrazzled Tue 29-May-12 11:28:57

I do, I need a new seat if I want to fix it :-( bugger. Am not paying seventy quid for a new one, will have to be second hand or gaffer tape. What a shame.

Wow £9.99 you jammy dodger, wish i could find something simular in my towns charity shops, u are well luckyenvy

Tooloudhere Tue 29-May-12 10:27:41

I think on the bee the hood mechanism is part of the seat unit. I think you may have to look at a new or second hand seat to fix the hood.

DaisyMaisyJessicaEmily Tue 29-May-12 08:16:25

envy

my local charity shop prices every pram regardless of ages or condition or model at £79.99 shock

stillfrazzled Tue 29-May-12 08:12:18

Forums is a brilliant idea. At risk of sounding dim, what do I need to search for? Have tried the obvious key words but haven't had much luck.

Tiggywunkle Mon 28-May-12 21:08:50

If you search online for Bugaboo spare parts there's a couple of sites that sell them. I think Buggy pit stop are one. The Facebook Bugaboo forums are great for picking up spare parts too. People are constantly breaking Bugaboos up and selling them. Just makes sure of who you are buying from and use a Paypal account as Goods to protect yourself.

Rosa Mon 28-May-12 15:55:26

<Patrizia.Stroppolo@bugaboo.com> was my helpful lady there... but it was in 2009 !!!

Rosa Mon 28-May-12 15:52:00

I only e mailed them and they answered within 24 hrs .....

stillfrazzled Mon 28-May-12 12:54:32

I have just spent an HOUR on hold to Bugaboo and gave up without getting ever getting through! Is this normal?

Rosa Mon 28-May-12 12:03:21

Bugaboo even !!!

Rosa Mon 28-May-12 12:03:06

Mine brake was like that but with a good kick it held ok. If you contact Bigaboo direct they were very helpful with sending parts ok mine were in the guarantee but they were great...Well done what a bargain !

stillfrazzled Mon 28-May-12 11:04:41

It was there and I got it :-)

It is utterly filthy, although hopefully will scrub up fine.

Folds and unfolds OK, handle seems to hold when adjusted.

Brake temperamental at best, although TBH my iCandy's one doesn't work either and it doesn't bother us much.

Hood clamp on left hand side broken. Hood does still unfold but obv would like to replace it, do you think I will be able to get a spare part?

Nice to steer, very light.

stillfrazzled Sat 26-May-12 15:32:11

Please don't say that, I had trouble sleeping last night! Phoned this morning to confirm will collect Monday and believe me will be on step when it opens. Eeek.

milk Sat 26-May-12 15:18:46

£9.99?!? shock What if they sold it today?

£9.99???? Not even a bloody tenner? You jammy so and so. I'd buy it at that price and I've already got one!

stillfrazzled Sat 26-May-12 14:46:19

Handle, OK thanks will do. Also brakes and folding, I think?

Rosa Sat 26-May-12 14:43:41

Check the handle extends and holds up ok ...doesn't not lock say mid height I know some of the earlier models had this problem ( hauling up pavements etc)
wonderful price hope you get it and yes the fabric does scrub up ok ....

stillfrazzled Sat 26-May-12 14:41:10

Er, £9.99 <still bemused>. Wasn't able to take it home Fri, now will be on tenterhooks till Monday morning...

How much out of interest? Make me jealous grin

Fine. DD1 was about the same age when I got one (also have an apple!) and we got a couple of years out of it. It's on round two now and you can bet she'll be hitching a lift when the cocoon is out of it.

stillfrazzled Sat 26-May-12 14:18:21

Have old style Bee on hold in local charity shop for improbable price. Is potentially heaven sent as my beloved iCandy Apple's wheel has just gone and we were wondering if it was worth repairing a massive heavy pushchair for a toddler.

So. The Bee. It looks well used, fabrics are stained but hopefully washable. What problems should I look out for? Will it be OK for a small-for-his-age 16mo for a year or so?

And how will I bear the suspense of finding out if they've REALLY held it for me till Monday...?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now