Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Anybody successfully dyed buggy material?

(30 Posts)
milkyjo Tue 27-Mar-12 21:51:25

I have acquired a maclaren buggy in olive and browny grey. The hood is green with pink edging and I have a boy. I just want to change the pink edging to a different colour. I can't put the hood in the washing machine as it is sewn into its frame but I can detach the whole thing from the buggy. Does anyone have any experience of using fabric paint or pens - you have to iron the fabric to fix it which may be possible - in an akward kind of way! I can't find any details on what fabric this is but I'm assuming it is synthetic, also probably water repellent.

Honeydragon Tue 27-Mar-12 21:54:28

The material will be waterproof so getting anything to take and then not run first time it rains would be very hard.

Is it a major issue? My Ds had a grey buggy with pink trim. No one honestly said anything.

What about a nice boyish liner for him?

Honeydragon Tue 27-Mar-12 21:56:47
Honeydragon Tue 27-Mar-12 21:58:36
milkyjo Tue 27-Mar-12 22:00:28

He has a sheepskin liner anyway but its the hood thats the issue. Thanks anyway.

RandomMess Tue 27-Mar-12 22:01:46

You can use shoe dye smile

RandomMess Tue 27-Mar-12 22:02:11

Just paint it on

Honeydragon Tue 27-Mar-12 22:02:28

Sorry .... the only other thing would be sewing ribbon over it, but it would be a real faff as you'd have to hand sew.

emsyj Tue 27-Mar-12 22:04:11

You can detach the whole hood and send it to Snunkie to recover in whatever fabric you like - www.snunkie.co.uk

I'm not sure how much it is but according to a friend of mine who has bought 2 sets of stuff for her bugaboo, it's cheaper than buying the fabric from bugaboo so it can't be massively expensive. I think if you look at their Facebook page there is some guidance about pricing, I'm not sure - there's tons of albums of pics of the hoods they've re-covered though, they're lovely.

Honeydragon Tue 27-Mar-12 22:07:15

Oooh good point her hoods are lovely

RandomMess Tue 27-Mar-12 22:07:59

Honestly shoe dye is what the pramoholics use smile It's only a narrow strip on the edge of the hood won't be too faffy or irritating to do.

Sadly I even know which colour way you are talking about blush

Honeydragon Tue 27-Mar-12 22:09:56

Can you paint on shoe dye? how does it set? <<quite excited>>

RandomMess Tue 27-Mar-12 22:15:57

It's liquid so it just soaks in, use a fine paint brush and carefully paint it on, build up the colour in layers.

Honeydragon Tue 27-Mar-12 22:25:08

grin a whole new world of possibilities has just opened up for me

milkyjo Tue 27-Mar-12 22:40:49

Oooh thanks guys. I will try the shoe dye and let you know how it goes. I suppose it won't run off in the rain otherwise people wouldn't wear their dyed shoes outside?!

Honeydragon Tue 27-Mar-12 22:49:57

do you mind pointing hat it's like when its done? smile, I'd love to know, I have a parasol that dh split red wine on hmm, I could just do the affected panals if it works.

Tiggywunkle Tue 27-Mar-12 22:57:25

Honeydragon Step away from the shoe polish.

If you can dye babies into Smurfs with a humble felt tip then heaven help the world if you got given a tin of shoe polish!!!!!

Honeydragon Tue 27-Mar-12 23:03:15

blush

If I dye the parasol blue they'll match.

DD was playing with chalk in the garden today, and now, sat at my feet is a Labrador with blue and pink stripes grin

sayjay Tue 27-Mar-12 23:33:28

I was thinking of this recently! My red Jane Slalom has faded patches and I wondered about dye....
It's like a heavy duty canvas material but waterproofed....would it take a dye anyone? If so what sort? Thanks!

milkyjo Wed 28-Mar-12 09:03:48

I have ordered the shoe dye! Tarrango do so many different colours, if it delivers before the weekend I will be doing the dye on Saturday or Sunday and send an update!

RandomMess Wed 28-Mar-12 13:57:38

Slalom seats don't come off properly as they have hardboard in them so shoe dye is the way to go.

Tiggywunkle Wed 28-Mar-12 17:22:41

Exactly Honey but I am sure you would look great spotty or striped for a few weeks [wunk]

milkyjo Tue 10-Apr-12 14:18:58

Just to let you all know it worked! There was some slight bleeding from the edging onto the hood but it is round the back and you can't see it. The colour is also a good match to the seat colour too. Now what can I get my hands on next!!!!!

Honeydragon Tue 10-Apr-12 19:49:09

Yaaaaaaay!

Tiggywunkle Tue 10-Apr-12 20:13:45

I'm watching you Honey [wunk]
I take it you have had no deliveries? Me neither sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now