Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Anyone know how stoke xplory compares to mima?

(46 Posts)
titferbrains Mon 18-Jul-11 15:06:47

Only just discovered mima and it,s turned my head :-)
Baby due sept. Does the mima seat go as high as the xplory? Storage looks better on xplory also. Is footprint of mima smaller thanxplory? Am concerned about getting xplory on London buses.

titferbrains Mon 18-Jul-11 15:10:48

Am talking about mima Xari. May have another baby but won't be for a few years as I hate being pregnant, need to get over this one first...

Guildfordnanny Mon 18-Jul-11 15:22:55

The Mima Xari chassis (ie without seat or carrycot) is 87 x 61cms if that helps. The seat slides up the frame to make it higher. The Stokke Xplory is 57 - 72/105cms depending on mode (ie that includes the seat or carrycot and depends on where the handlebar is. The one thing I will say is that I see a lot of Xplory's with handbags perched on the carrycot aprons! The Mimas are solid pushchairs and it should be no problem to hang bags off the handle bar but I didn't say that. But yes storage is limited on the Xari, but the changing boxes are lovely and fit neatly ie no rummaging in a bag for stuff!

titferbrains Mon 18-Jul-11 15:39:16

Tks g. Any other comments on how each one is to use, or yr pref?

Guildfordnanny Mon 18-Jul-11 15:46:58

No because I haven't used either. I have a Mima Kobi here and the Xari isn't hugely different. I know the superb quality will be the same on the Xari as on the Kobi. I didnt like the Kobi until I tried it and then I fell in love. The quality and detail as well as gorgeous looks make the Mimas fantastic. But the push ability and handling, handlebar etc are all brilliant too. They aren't merely stylish pushchairs - they works fantastically well too. It's personal choice though.

pramsgalore4 Mon 18-Jul-11 15:59:36

i have had a stokke and loved it, the shopping bag is big but if you put alot of weight init it can be a bit heavy to get up kerbs. you can not really hang anything off the handle bar, the most i dared to hang off was 2 book bags [really light] i used a hook that you velcrod round the handle bar, i think anything heavier would damage the handle or could even break it. The only changing bag that would fit would be stokkes. The raincover is big when folded and takes up alot of room in the basket, besides all this i still loved my stokke the main reason being my dd was high up and it was different not another round here, although now mothercare sell them and next i bet everyone will have them. i got mine from backinaction who have shops in and around london or you can order on line or over the phone, next day delivery as well. i have not seen a xari yet but want one they do look lovely, not much basket space but you should be able to hang stuff off handlebar, but again i not seen one in real life.

Guildfordnanny Mon 18-Jul-11 16:25:36

The Mima raincover is tiny and folds into a small bag which hangs off a nut (well that's what I did with it!) We did a day trip out with nappies, spare clothes, potty, drinks, food, my heavy handbag and bought shopping en route and the Kobi was great. I know the Zari baskets are different. I have asked Mima to consider making a Stokke type drawstring bag to go in the Mima baskets because it would be very useful to have.

suzie38 Mon 18-Jul-11 16:28:16

The total volume of the Xari boxes is greater than the volume of a Bee Plus's basket.

StueyB Mon 18-Jul-11 16:47:17

Can't comment on the Mima, but we've gone for the Joolz Day ahead of the Stokke... I love the look and height of the Stokke but we've seen several pieces of feedback and reviews that raise too many questions:

1) No suspension means it is very poor on anything other than flat ground. My cousin had one and said it was "awful" over grass and in parks.
2) Due to the shape of the mattress in the carry cot, you have to get specific sheets at £20-£30 each. standard sheets won't fit as there is a cut out.
3) We've been told and read that once a child gets to a certain weight, you can't use the seat at its maximum height as the baby is too heavy.
4) Having seen it folded, it really is an awkward shape and quite heavy.

The Joolz Day has none of the above problems, still has a nice high seat and now they've moved away from M&P and gone solo, seems to have really good feedback.

Shame, as I love the Stokke but the lack of suspension especially is a killer.

pramsgalore4 Mon 18-Jul-11 17:39:11

suzie38 thats good because i owned a bee and got loads in basket, oh i really do need to go and have a look before i end up buying blind

suzie38 Mon 18-Jul-11 17:44:07

Me too!!!

Guildfordnanny Mon 18-Jul-11 20:24:44

There's a lady who I have discovered today who has just bought a Kobi. She says the top seat is about as high as her Stokke and I am sure the Xari is no different. I have asked her which she prefers (bearing in mind the Kobi is new).

titferbrains Mon 18-Jul-11 23:02:41

Now trying to decide if it.s worth getting a kobi. Dd will be 3 when next dc comes. As I say, I'd like another kid but doubt that'd be any time in next two yrs. I generally hate 2x buggies but mima seems to work well.

titferbrains Mon 18-Jul-11 23:03:53

Have spent months training dd to walk or scoot everywhere so she's now v independent.

Guildfordnanny Tue 19-Jul-11 15:48:17

I don't know whether you can see these or not but the lady has kindly taken some Stokke Xplory next to the Mima Kobi (single) photos for me. I think the Xari will be very similar. Here is the link - www.facebook.com/bestbuggy.co.uk - if it doesn't work then let me know. There are two photos.

pramsgalore4 Tue 19-Jul-11 16:59:54

loving the pink stokke, i do like the white and red xari alot, love that it is the same height as the stokke, oh i want one now, i have to say i nearly bought the vista today as ds was doing a very good forest gump today and just ran all the way to school and would not stop he just loves running grrrr sad . On a brighter note have just spun around the front room sreaming because i had a spider on my shoulder [just got the washing in] shock. i will end up with the grey xari if i don't get an email back soon, i am no good at waiting

Guildfordnanny Tue 19-Jul-11 17:26:01

The day says she loves her Stokke with winter pack. You can always ask her questions direct now grin

pramsgalore4 Tue 19-Jul-11 17:29:43

i have had a stokke although it was the 2009 one and not the new one, i want a xari,

titferbrains Wed 20-Jul-11 10:52:54

ooh thanks so much guildford! Very interesting to see them both. Footprint of Kobi does look quite large doesn't it? will measure my current pram to see how they compare. Winter baby means more buses, really need to get an idea of whether it will work ok on a bus.

Stokke still appeals because of generous storage and also moveable foot bar for growing kid.

tho having read that the kobi is very solid when full or with stuff hanging off back is also persuasive.

Cannot decide if it's worth investing in kobi in case I need to push 2 kids at the time, after I've railed against double buggies for so long!

We've just been to france for a weeks' hols and didn't even bring a buggy with us.

Guildfordnanny Wed 20-Jul-11 12:02:14

Mima linked only in theclast day or so to say the Kobi was about the only double allowed on a bus somewhere in the world...I will see if I can find the link for you. TBH I didn't stop to watch it so I don't know what exactly it says. Bear in mind as well that the photo is a Kobi rather than a Xari so I suspect the Xari footprint is smaller. The Kobi is solid with stuff hanging off the back. It's one of most sturdy and robust pushchairs I have tried. I have driven mine off huge steps and over bumps and through pot holes just to see how it handles and it's fab. It is a great pushchair but IMHO you buy a Mima because you love it and for the experience. It's like nothing else I have tried by miles.

Guildfordnanny Wed 20-Jul-11 12:13:54

Mima linked on their Facebook only in the last day or so to say the Kobi was about the only double pushchair allowed on a bus somewhere in the world...I will see if I can find the link for you. TBH I didn't stop to watch it so I don't know what exactly it says. Bear in mind as well that the photo is a Kobi rather than a Xari so I suspect the Xari footprint is smaller. The Kobi is solid with stuff hanging off the back. It's one of most sturdy and robust pushchairs I have tried. I have driven mine off huge steps and over bumps and through pot holes just to see how it handles and it's fab. It is a great pushchair but IMHO you buy a Mima because you love it and for the experience. It's like nothing else I have tried by miles. It has compromises like the large seat units and reclining back seat but it's worth it smile

Guildfordnanny Wed 20-Jul-11 12:22:18

www.facebook.com/mimakids It is at the top of here but it looks like it's all in Spanish...

titferbrains Wed 20-Jul-11 17:26:50

eek just pushed a too-heavy load back from shops onto bus and then home. back now aching. Think I definitely need a pram that can handle heavy loading, am incapable of going out for "a few things". am going to google thoroughly to find other comparisons of mima to stokke. Need something to persuade me one way or the other! Will try to pop into John lewis on friday to see it. Hope that will do the trick.

pramsgalore4 Wed 20-Jul-11 17:41:12

stokke are not great for loads of shopping because the bag is over the front wheels it makes it heavy to get kerbs etc and you can not really hang anything off the handlebars, look at the uppababy vista that has a huge basket and is high up, look at the thread i started - allowed one more pushchair and thats it !!!! someone has put a really good review of the vista on that monkeyspunk i think.

suzie38 Wed 20-Jul-11 17:42:13

Envious!!!

Guildfordnanny Wed 20-Jul-11 18:00:53

Honestly, honestly, honestly the Mima Kobi (and I can only talk about that) pushes like an absolute dream with two heavy seats on, two heavy children and the entire contents of Ikea aboard maybe thats an over exaggeration. BUT I managed to go round Ikea ON MY OWN with both children and managed to work out how to balance everything onto the Kobi including mops and picture frames, coffee, plants and all sorts to get me back to the car. Once again the basket isnt the best - its too shallow really - but there is enough size and depth to allow it to be packed well.
There are only two tandems that having tried a good quantity stand out as being very easy to push and one is the Kobi. It is dreamy....

titferbrains Fri 22-Jul-11 08:46:32

ok have found one flaw with Mima. Just watched a demo of the xari seat being converted to carry cot: the sides are basically just fabric, with the support being at either end of the cot to make the sides firm. My baby is due in Sept, so am concerned about how warm/snug baby will feel with only a layer of fabric between it and elements, partic wind, and NOISE!... obv it will be in clothes and a blanket etc, but am realising that other carrycots, like the stokke, are much more sturdy and protective from elements/noise.

Thoughts?

Hoping to get to Peter jones today to see the pram in action, but am sitting here in pjs and still haven't had brekkie....

aswellasyou Fri 22-Jul-11 10:13:44

I don't think it would bother me about the fabrics carrycot sides-one of their footmuffs would make it extremely soft and comfy. It's here if you haven't already seen it.

Tiggywunkle Fri 22-Jul-11 10:34:51

The fabric is pretty sturdy and TBH allot of carrycots eg Bugaboo, Baby Jogger, TFK etc are just fabric sides too. It makes them easy to collapse for storage, travel etc. Like aswellasyou says you can always use an insert of some type like the footmuff or a Bugaboo Cocoon or simply blankets. You will be amazed what babies can sleep through! I was sent a great set of Xari v's Kobi photos last night but have asked permission to share them. Gorgeous smile Enjoy shopping!

Tiggywunkle Fri 22-Jul-11 12:37:57

I have got permission to use the photos.The photos are here with a quick comparison. I have to say although the footprint is larger, I prefer the Kobi as a single to the Xari smile I think it looks better balanced and I prefer the one large changing box smile

Tiggywunkle Fri 22-Jul-11 12:38:34

Sorry I should add with thanks to Cheeky Rascals for the photos because they were kind enough to take them specially for me.

titferbrains Fri 22-Jul-11 13:10:45

Grrr pregnant slow and tired. Did not make it to JL. Will possibly brave crowds tmw am to see it. Just want to pop in and have a look. Another f***ing driving lesson this aft eating up my time. Wish I could just bloody drive to JL and be done with it! Tks for posting pics Tiggy, helpful to see. Looking forward to examining the changing box thingy. Will be sure to look at muff also, I think you are right about it protecting baby enough.

aswellasyou Fri 22-Jul-11 14:23:03

I definitely appreciate having a built-in carrycot rather than having to store one while using the other. I hope you like it as much as we do!

Tiggywunkle Fri 22-Jul-11 14:31:45

Yes but the downer of the built in carrycot is the weight is permanently being carried around and you have to store the seat outer shell whilst using the carrycot.

titferbrains Sat 23-Jul-11 17:59:08

Update. Finally made it to PJ today to see Mimas... and the seat is too small for dd! she is 2.10yo and only on about 9th percentile for height so was pretty surprised that they have not made the seat a bit more generous. Her head /hair in a half knot rubbed against the top of the sun visor bit. Also, I would say that the sun visor bit could potentially leak in heavy rain, can't remember if the rain cover goes all the way over the pram incl the visor but that's a minus in my book.

However, the carry cot is lovely and looks very sturdy and warm in rl.

Sad I won't be getting one. Back to stokke and will be checking out Vista also.

Have just had a text Amy Winehouse has died, off to google!

Tiggywunkle Sat 23-Jul-11 18:26:50

The raincover completely envelopes the whole pushchair. My DD at 2.8 years has only a couple of cms from the canopy top, but a lot of photos don't show the canopy top. I know what you mean re the gaps. I wasn't bothered about rain but I could see wind coming through the gaps.

titferbrains Sat 23-Jul-11 18:43:55

Yes I thought that the raincover would have to cover the whole lots.

Am stunned that the seat is not a good size for an almost 3yo, surely the pple who buy the Kobi will want to be able to get their (almost certainly) bigger kids in them for a bit!

Tried to send a msg to Mima via website asking about size of seat but was bounced back.

Tiggywunkle Sat 23-Jul-11 19:33:36

To be honest, UK pushchairs are only tested to 15kgs which is the size of an average 3 year old. The Mima's go to 17kgs. To be fair my daughter would probably fit quite comfortably up to that limit. Yes by that point her head may well be touching the canopy but that seems fair IYKWIM. I wouldn't expect it to be much bigger. There are several pushchairs that I have tried her in that are no good for her now at 2.8 years because her feet trail on the floor or her head already brushes the canopy. My daughter is also very tall for her age - she is growing out of age 3/4 clothes. So I would think that the average 3 yea old would still comfortably fit under the canopy.
The seat sizes for the Kobi and Xari are on www.bestbuggy.co.uk - the quickest way to find them is to use the "compare pushchairs" tool at the top.

titferbrains Sun 24-Jul-11 21:57:00

Have looked at Vista and am not that excited, tho the basket is nice and big.

Don't really want an american pram in case sth goes wrong and it takes an age/fortune to fix. Also it just looks like an imitation of a bugaboo tho I have noted that it can be folded without removing seat which is a plus.

Am going to watch stokke videos again, I think that that is where my heart lies!

Tiggy, am still surprised about the height thing re: Mima prams. If yr dc's head was not resting on fabric of the seat then surely it will be quite uncomfortable and the main reason for having a double would be so that if DC wants to get in and have a kip, they can do so comfortably? Otherwise at 3yo they will be mostly walking no? Anyway all academic as I'm not getting one, I'd just be cross about spending that sort of money if my DC grew out of it before 3 and wasn't particularly tall.

Tiggywunkle Sun 24-Jul-11 22:20:13

Oh her head was on the seat pad at the back - what I was trying to say was that her head wasn't touching the canopy as yet. My daughter wouldnt sleep in a pushchair these days - in fact my baby doesn't always sleep when out - but I have a double for convenience ie to get us from a to b without dawdling, tantrums, her choosing her choice of shopping or her disappearing off in the other direction because she doesn't want to go home! I am looking now at options to take us forwards past her third birthday until when she is four or five because we do a lot of all day outings where I wouldn't expect her to walk all the time and I need a temper tantrum option as back up!

titferbrains Sun 24-Jul-11 22:32:19

Have just thought thru the fact that Stokke doesn't fold with seat attached so may go and have a look at uppababy just to compare. Need to read some more reviews.

I know what you mean about shopping struggles, DD had a total meltdown because I made the error of not feeding her by 1230, she got completely irrational and screamy in JL, all very annoying. Will not be doing any more big shopping trips with her till she learns to shop herself smile

Tiggywunkle Sun 24-Jul-11 23:09:41

I bought an Uppababy Vista with Rumble seat yesterday so will let you know what I think. I haven't had a Stokke but have had quite a lot of pushchairs through my hands. I am looking forward to getting it although I have a gut feeling the Rumble seat won't work for us.

titferbrains Sun 24-Jul-11 23:22:45

Ooh exciting am just scanning thru the buggy addicts threads to see what they say about uppababy. Who is the uk supplier?? Do you know the best place to see one in London, pref south/central?

Tiggywunkle Sun 24-Jul-11 23:35:33

Monkeyspunk has one that she imported from the US. www.dcukltd.com/ seem to be the UK importers. This is their UK Uppababy website www.uppababy.co.uk/ and this is the list of stockists: www.uppababy.co.uk/store-finder.html There's a good handful listed for London, so I will leave you to have a look through them all.

titferbrains Sun 24-Jul-11 23:43:21

Fab tks again for posting.

suzie38 Mon 25-Jul-11 05:56:19

I bought a Vista from Winstanleys pram shop February time...Kiddicare also sell them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now