What is the cheapest way of adding a room onto the back of the house and could I do it myself?

(43 Posts)

That's it really?

I know nothing, so presumably I woukd have to factor in evening classes or something?

emancipation Sun 18-Nov-12 11:52:35

Cheapest way would probably be a conservatory but I think doing ityourslef is a little ambitious.

I need walls though. At lease I need one to put a long table against and one to put a load of cupboards against.

I think it might be a case of doing it ourselves or not doing it (which absolutely isn't an option).

Fairylea Sun 18-Nov-12 11:57:05

Unless you are a builder don't do it yourself. You also need to check if you need planning permission and building regs otherwise you could have problems when you come to sell if you do or with your insurance.

We paid 11.5k for our huge kitchen extension. It was built from a tiny kitchen that was already there and extended down the garden. We are in south Norfolk. I would imagine its different depending on areas.

Grrr. Quotes are ridiculous and I KNOW they are no reflection of cost af materials and labour but some arbitrary figure based on an expensive postcode we have no choice but to live in ( very complicated). As a result have to live in teeny house but Ds' disability means we have to have the extra room.

sweetkitty Sun 18-Nov-12 12:05:42

We're in Scotland and currently getting 2 extensions one at side, one at rear. The rear one is a sunroom type but with a solid wall on one side. We're paying 15K for it, it's 3.5 x 3.5m. A friend got a smaller conservatory for 14K.

The cheapest option would be a conservatory from B & Q etc. If you can get individual trades in for each bit, eg laying the floor, constructing the walls/roof/ electrics/plumber for a radiator it can work out cheaper than just getting an all inclusive quote. And if do bits yourself to save even more.

Waspie Sun 18-Nov-12 12:06:49

my dad built a utility room on the back of our old house so it's possible. But this was 25 years ago so building regs have probably changed a lot since. We had to dig out footings, lay a concrete floor, put in electricity, plaster board the walls and ceiling, put in windows etc... the roof was flat, so no tiling issues.

Also it wasn't a room intended for family use - it was just because the kitchen was tiny and we needed space for the dogs beds and the washing machine, fridge and freezer. It was probably about 10 feet square and had no radiators.

We didn't touch the house itself either, this new room was simply plonked on the back of the house and the existing back door became the door to the utility room.

It was hard work and dad had a few mates helping as well as us. I'm still bloody good at mixing concrete grin

ThatVikRinA22 Sun 18-Nov-12 12:11:09

i had a small 6ft extension on the back of my house which extended the kitchen and the dining room, couldnt go further than 6ft due to the drains.

that cost £10,000. i live up north.

i cant see how you could build something yourself tbh - are you proficient at drawing up plans?
do you know what you have to do to comply with building regs?

i would never have a go at DIY building unless i was a builder or a brickie and knew what i was doing.

fwiw our neighbours house has a DIY double storey extension on it - it doesnt match and looks terrible - it was done in the 70;s when building regs were not around - its now breaking away from the rest of the house. it will be expensive to fix and i know that when that house was up for sale it put potential buyers off.

DorisIsWaiting Sun 18-Nov-12 12:21:40

If your ds has a disbaility have yiour thught about applying to a charity for an extension. I think the CAB and the libarary both have extensive databases of charities... They amy or may not be able to help you.

If you ds is in receipt of DLA and you are on a lower income have a look at the family fund, it doesn't help with extensions but may be able to help out somewhere else.

You will need to consult professionals otherwise you could end up worse off with an unsaleable (or nearly) property with an ineffective / leaky / dodgy extension that would not be pleasant to live in!

I haven't got a clue but got a quote of £60k for tiny extension. Figured could go to building school myself for a fraction of that.

MulledWineOnTheBusLady Sun 18-Nov-12 12:30:35

Blimey, get another quote. Go out of area to find cheaper builders. That's more like a two-storey extension price to me and I'm in London.

We're on a teeny income for the area but just above low-income thresholds. Ds disability is hidden and often denied by professionals who want to deny provision (although is now in a special school so denial not so easy).

But I guess no harm in researching (doubt we'd get anyone to give us £60k though)

Also the 'room' is to be a classroom to make up for the deficiencies in his education which will be denied as a need I expect.

But even half that quote is more than our annual income. Proves have gone up due to relaxed planning regs making builders and extensions more in demand. There HAS to be a cheaper way!?

MulledWineOnTheBusLady Sun 18-Nov-12 12:33:54

Would one of those garden offices be an option? I've got an idea they cost from about 10k including installation, but I'm sure it varies by company. Very quick, no impact on the fabric of your house at all. They have light and power, so they're fine if you don't need to use them as 24 hour living space.

Oh yes. That sounds like worth looking into. But, I need to be able to keep an eye on my two that aren't at school yet, so it would really have to be a part of the house. Woukd that be possible?

ThatVikRinA22 Sun 18-Nov-12 12:37:40

why not look at a conservatory then starlight?

do you need a class room? could you not teach from your living room or dining room?

60k is overpriced.

i would shop around a lot! how big does this extension need to be? is it just to be used as a classroom?

if your DS is now in specialist school will he need extra home schooling?

my DS has hidden disabilities (AS, dyspraxia, dyslexia) - never managed to get him statemented but he had a tutor who came to our house - would your funds be better spent like that?

PenisColada Sun 18-Nov-12 12:39:19

Have you looked into a DFG ? If the room is required for his disability it will pay for it.

Disabled facilities grant. Contact local social services and ask for an OT assessment. Pm me if you want more details

ThatVikRinA22 Sun 18-Nov-12 12:39:53

another out of the box thought here but could you hire a portakabin as a classroom? just temporarily until he is out of education? ive no idea how much they cost though....

Vicar, thank you. Even if he had a tutor he woukd need somewhere to be tutored. We only have one reception room which is dining AND living room AND office AND a playroom for 3 children.

But actually I have invested a huge amount in my own skills to tutor him myself so woukd rather do it.

Yes he does need additional help. He's falling behind in the national curriculum as special school focuses on therapy.

Thanks Penis. The last time we contacted SS for some help they told us to stop asking or they would raise it to a child protection investigation as there is no reason they could see why we woukd need any support except for poor parenting.

But, a quiet or safe space for Ds and his sensory issues might be worth a revisit, so thank you for the suggestion and kind offer. I'll think about it and get back to you.

ThatVikRinA22 Sun 18-Nov-12 12:49:29

i think in that case i would look at a conservatory, but make sure you have proper blinds and heating (so it doesnt bake in summer and freeze in winter) i reckon you could get something like that for about £10, maybe even less. Here i see ads for basic ones from £4995.

you could easily turn it into a class room.

i do feel your pain - my house is tiny and we only have one reception room too, i just used to leave dS and his tutor at the dining table and make myself scarce - with DD, i take her to her tutor so dont have that problem so much.

i think if youre going to invest in something then you need to make sure its all done right and to building regs, that way at least it will add value to the house.

Portacabins are around £70 per week.

Perhaps we coukd buy one instead!?

Social services don't tend to support parents so determined to help their children that they enrol themselves on a bricklaying courses grin

You could buy a static caravan for next to nothing - so am guessing portakabin the same. We are living in a £800 static caravan whilst we do the house up. Been here since April. It is OK. People live in them full time.

It was a bit hot in summer - but open doors/windows helped. Is OK in winter as long as you keep the heating going - we have a couple of electric heaters from Argos - just keep them ticking over.

The most expense we had was transporting it here. £1200.

If you haven't room for a static, what about a cheap caravan?

Check out ebay. But you could potentially get somewhere possible to heat and stay dry for much less than £60K Though clearly not adding to your property's value.

Though do be wary of planning etc esp with the static.

Ooh, liking the caravan idea, though not got access to back garden so eight ours woukd have to put up with it in the front. Probably cheaper to buy AND run than an extension (although difficult to supervise other children)

Brugmansia Sun 18-Nov-12 16:28:16

I agree that £60k sounds excessive. Our quote for a 3 storey but smallish footprint extension in London was under £50k.

If you were doing diy don't forget it's not just learning the building skills, there's also all the other trades. If you decided to build something you don't have to do it all yourself or completely pay for everything. most of the building work we're about to do were getting builders to do up to first fix. The builders will be responsible for everything that needs to be signed of by building regs and will do it a lot quicker. We'll do as much of the rest as we can ourselves and just get people in for the stuff we can't, eg electrics.

PickledGerkin Sun 18-Nov-12 19:34:23

I don't know where you live but I am in West Yorkshire and the cost of a single storey extension here is £1200 pmsq. So my kitchen extension of 3m x 2.5m is £9000. That takes me to first fix so electric wires but no sockets sort of thing.

£60k sounds like you are putting one hell of an extension on the back. If you give me a rough idea of where you are in the country and by that I mean, Midlands, Yorkshire and Humber, North West or South East I can quote you from the Homebuilding and Renovation Magazine as they have the prices every month as a guide.

It truly isn't something you can do yourself. The building regs alone are enough to scare the pants of any DIYer. I had a garage conversion done and so no building works just plumbing, flooring, insulation etc and the building regs guy came out 3 times.

Thanks pickled. We're in SW London. Kingston.

In our last house we had a conservatory done but like you needed one that looked like a wall and not glass - they used full height PVC panels instead - it was 12 by 10 feet and cost 9k.

You could reduce that cost even further by having no opening windows, no flooring, cheaper doors.

We're in Hertfordshire so probably just as expensive as south london

PickledGerkin Tue 04-Dec-12 18:32:03

Right so this one slipped through the net of my "threads I'm watching"

So, SW London, I have costs for Greater London and South East and I don't know which one you would come under so here are the costs listed in Homebuilding and Renovation. These are provided by actual home builders and "build cost information services" (part of RICS)

Greater London
Build Route (main contractor -who does everything)
Single storey of less than 90sqm
Standard £1269 Good £1469 Excellent £1766

South East
Same as above
Standard £1113 Good £1288 Excellent £1549

On the other end of the scale -build route DIY and subbies (you organise it all & hire people)
Greater London
Standard £1079 Good £1284 Excellent £1501

South East
Standard £946 Good £1095 Excellent £1317

Hope this helps.

catpark Wed 05-Dec-12 18:36:08

PickledGerkin, as these figures accurate ? Does it have anything on Scotland ? We're in the lothians and are planning on some sort of extension next year on our house and it would be a help. Thanks.

OP 60K does sound a bit excessive for a single storey extension. Agree with others, a conservatory or sun room would be cheaper.

notcitrus Wed 05-Dec-12 19:13:41

60k sounds high - I'm in SW London but not a posh bit, and have been getting quotes for replacing 2 rooms on the back of the house which includes fitting kitchen and a showerroom, and that's come in around 60k, though the architect who works round Kingston said people might pay up to 140...

If you don't need period detail, try talking to an Anglian rep as while their stuff is quite expensive they can tell you about extensions vs conservatories and what the local planners are likely to approve.
Also worth wandering around looking for an Eastern European building crew and getting to know them and any of their labourer friends. We may demolish the current extension ourselves or get cheap labour to do that.

I'd expect a single room done properly, without plumbing, to be 30k max, but no idea if that's in budget either. We luckily came to the end of a mortgage deal and rates are.actually better than 3 years ago, so borrowing enough to fix the house for similar monthly payments.

discrete Wed 05-Dec-12 20:42:26

I have done this myself (not in the UK). Actually, to be accurate, I have completed what the previous owners started and left half done.....

It is a very large amount of work, and dh and I have many years of home renovation experience.

In your situation, probably what I would do is look into one of those garden room/office type things, which can be very cheap for the space you get, and if necessary connect it to the main house with a glassed over walkway/mini conservatory (no idea if you would get planning permission to do it, though!).

What is your setup like at the back? Were you planning to attach the room to the house at a wall with an existing opening? How much space have you got and in what configuration?

moosemama Wed 05-Dec-12 20:54:00

Hi Star

Would something like this flat pack extension idea be any good? There's a link to the manufacturer on the page and I think you can still watch that episode of My Flat Pack home online if you Google.

Alternatively, what about a timber garden room/house? They have quite a few different options on the website I've linked to, if you go to the pricing page. It would have the advantage of being separate from the house and self contained, so quiet and a defined space for learning or sensory.

moosemama Wed 05-Dec-12 20:54:38

Just realised, cross posted with discrete re the garden room idea. Sorry.

moosemama Wed 05-Dec-12 20:59:08

Another flat pack extension manufacturer here.

discrete Wed 05-Dec-12 21:03:12

those rapyd extensions look pretty cool!

noddyholder Wed 05-Dec-12 22:24:16

What about a very basic loft room? You couldn't really DIY foundations etc but you could floor a loft and get a velux and some heating in

SantasBigRedHat Mon 24-Dec-12 12:16:50

Once again I forgot that I had this in my watched threads, I do not know where my head is at blush oh and also I am PickledGerkin.

catpark cost for NW, SW, East and Scotland all come under the same costings, so for single storey extension of less than 90m sq

Build Route D (Main contractor)
Standard £1012 Good £1172 and Excellent £1409 per msq.

And I did forget to say that these prices do not include VAT as they assume your build is a new build and therefore VAT exempt. Sorry.

The Homebuilding and Renovating mag where this comes from is a good source of information as it shows you what other people have achieved extension wise and of course house building wise.

Also see here for info.

StarlightMcKenzie what did you decide to do in the end?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now