how much do removals companies cost?

(45 Posts)
PDR Tue 02-Mar-10 08:59:22

We are moving from a large 3 bed to a ok sized 4 bed aprox 15 miles away.

We have an average amount of furniture but not much clutter.

I am thinking we will go with the packing service as I have a DS of 21 months and it will be weeks of hell for me to do it myself.

We are in rural Devon if that makes a difference.

What should I expect?

kanecarter Thu 11-Apr-13 08:38:56

As above mentioned about reallymoving obtain instant quotes from different local companies.
I have also experience about www.removalshub.co.uk , They obtain 6 removals quotes in less than a minute. We are moving a 3 bed house 190 miles and it's going to cost £1,200+VAT including the packing.

A quick question about getting removals quotes through the websites mentioned above - our house isn't even on the market yet, but we want to get an idea of moving costs so we can put together a budget and work out how much we can spend on our new house. We don't really want to be hassled by the removals firms, so can you just get a no-obligation quote? (I don't really want to give my phone number/email to any firms just yet).

twopints Tue 07-May-13 11:02:02

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

jennychatwin1954 Tue 03-Sep-13 12:05:07

I live in East Lothian, Scotland and will be moving from a four bed to five bed in the next two months or so. The distance we're moving is 20 miles. Any recommendations for a removal firm? Any idea of costs?

Thanks

Jen

xXSharonXx Sun 17-Nov-13 11:50:46

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

aarenace Fri 27-Dec-13 10:02:10

I think you don’t need a visit from any company for removal quotes. Pack your stuff by yourself and get quotes from the quote form of any company online by putting the info, like location, distance, bed room’s etc.
Try it; www.theremoval.com/newprocess0.php

cafesociety Fri 27-Dec-13 15:12:30

For my last move [and other moves before] I use a reputable, insured 'Man with a Van'! Do my own packing, leaving just bedding/kettle/tea/milk/TV/laptop to go in my car the morning of the move....a takeaway the night before.

3 bed bungalow to 3 bed bungalow [no wardrobes, no cooker] locally in 2011...2 journeys....£75!

He was careful with furniture, covering it all up, packing it all well. No damages and friendly cooperative service. Job done.

PRL67 Sat 01-Feb-14 11:53:59

Hi JuJubean what company did you use for your removal as we are in Hampshire. Thanks.

Haty786 Thu 06-Feb-14 07:40:07

Jane090469 Sun 16-Mar-14 09:43:12

specialsubject Sun 16-Mar-14 10:12:38

wow, this is bringing out the spammers..

NEVER use anyone with just a mobile number.

Dankay78 Sun 27-Apr-14 19:41:29

The fastest way to find out the costs of removal companies in the UK is to go to houseconveyancing.org/removal-company-quotes/ You will then get 6 removals quotes from moving firms in your local area.

Aliya845 Tue 27-May-14 19:55:09

Hi Everyone, i would like to share my personal experience with removal firms.The day one we find out our moving date i go on removal price comparison site www.getabestmover.co.uk and submit all our details for moving same day few removal firms called me ask me a convenient time to visit property finally i had we prices from £300 to £1500 decided to choose a cheap company Called Smart MOVE they turn with very small van to move my 3bed house were very rude and broke our dinning table and other small damages and also left the job in middle and decided to move off i called the police but that didn't help because of terms and condition so i would say everyone don't go for cheap removal company.

RichardWhite Mon 25-Aug-14 14:14:03

We recently moved our 4 bed house from Shepherds Bush to Norwich everything were packed by us they just move stuff for us on very cheap price check them www.dexmanvancompanyltd.co.uk

Bohemond Mon 25-Aug-14 14:32:56

Rural somerset also moving c15 miles.
For 4 bed house (large) plus full garage with 1 day's packing of kitchen and breakable items plus £100k insurance it is £1800 including VAT. We need two trucks.

tb Wed 27-Aug-14 12:21:20

Just one tip - don't use a broker. We did when moving from the UK to France and it was a total disaster.

The company had been on Channel 4, and were well-recommended.

They arrived late, broke the drain cover on the drive and packed loads of things that shouldn't have been packed.

We had some things stored, and then later found out that some things were just left in their offices. We had loads of things damaged - they just dumped our dining chairs in the road with the chairs 'seat to seat' despite them having high backs, and so due to the chippings on the road the top rails of the chairs look as if they've been nail-punched. In storage they took apart and oak dining table, so when it arrived the top was separate from the trestles and the central leaf had a big deep scratch on it.

Bookcases were damaged and a mattress and bed base stained and water-marked due to not being wrapped and placed against the rubber seals in the van. They were pushed against the seals in transit which stained them.

We gave the driver a cd with photos of the damage on, and he signed that he'd been paid in full to activate the insurance.

We never heard another thing.

We had a box delivered to us with someone else's belongings in, but no means of tracing them. I opened it and there was a picture in it that hadn't been wrapped and all the glass in the frame was smashed.

They were based in Redbridge in London.

tb Wed 27-Aug-14 12:22:03

I've also never seen again the amethyst ear-rings that dh gave me as a silver wedding anniversary present.

Emily69 Mon 01-Sep-14 11:42:41

naughty123 Sat 13-Sep-14 01:59:59

I hired removal services from www.advantageremovals.co.uk last month. I was being give two options
1. Hourly price
2. Fixed price
I would suggest to go for fixed price but provide as much information as you can about the inventory, Parking arrangements, availability of help. and offer maximum flexibility to avail lowest possible price.

LatteLoverLovesLattes Sat 13-Sep-14 02:10:54

ZOMBIE THREAD

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now