how much do removals companies cost?

(54 Posts)
PDR Tue 02-Mar-10 08:59:22

We are moving from a large 3 bed to a ok sized 4 bed aprox 15 miles away.

We have an average amount of furniture but not much clutter.

I am thinking we will go with the packing service as I have a DS of 21 months and it will be weeks of hell for me to do it myself.

We are in rural Devon if that makes a difference.

What should I expect?

PDR Tue 02-Mar-10 10:10:24

anyone?

Fizzylemonade Tue 02-Mar-10 11:18:45

I've just done it, from 3 bed 2 weeks ago to (next week) a 4 bed,

It was £1500 before you add insurance for the property etc (and that doesn't include my storage costs as clearly mine is in storage till we complete)

That was Pickfords, but a local company quoted us the same price. 2 day removals, take most of stuff on one day, come back the next for last minute stuff like beds etc.

Yes get them to pack it, I packed my own but then my children are much older and don't need as much supervision.

PDR Tue 02-Mar-10 12:13:42

£1500! shock shock

I might be packing it myself when DH finds out how much it's going to be.

As we're moving locally I've got 2 companies coming to "have a look" and quote tomo afternoon and Thu morning.

At least I have a ballpark figure now though and won't have a heart attack when they tell me the cost!

Thanks Fizzy

PDR Tue 02-Mar-10 19:41:00

has anyone else recently moved?

cassell Tue 02-Mar-10 19:44:15

We moved last year, distance of 60miles, they did it in a day and it cost about £1000 iirc.

orienteerer Tue 02-Mar-10 19:46:54

2 bed to 4 bed (last year), only moved about 500m, £800

hester Tue 02-Mar-10 20:59:51

We got three quotes, lowest 1200k, to move from 2 bed flat to 4 bed semi about 15 miles away. I'll bet it depends where you live - I'm in London. I think the packing element was only 200-300, which seems to me a small price to pay to reduce the nightmare...

lucykate Tue 02-Mar-10 21:03:16

we moved 3 years ago from a 3 bed to a 5 bed house, moving bill was about £1200, including traveling (we moved 120 miles away), van for 2 days as we moved out one day, in the next due to the distance and insurance.

lucykate Tue 02-Mar-10 21:04:18

oh, and i did all the packing myself.

saggyhairyarse Tue 02-Mar-10 21:06:19

I am moving 10miles and been quoted £550, not including packing.

chicaguapa Tue 02-Mar-10 21:07:46

Try www.reallymoving.com as they'll obtain instant quotes from different local companies. We are moving a 4 bed house 250 miles and it's going to cost £1,300+VAT including the packing. HTH

jujubean Tue 02-Mar-10 21:17:24

We live in hampshire just been quoted £1000 inc packing to move from a 3 bed to a 4 bed 20 miles away. Packing often doesn't make much difference to final figure as they prefer to pack themselves so they don't get boxes stuffed full of only books. Packing worth every single penny, especially with children. You can literally walk out of your house with an overnight bag and they just pack it all up. I would sell my granny to make sure I could afford the packing bit.

taffetacat Tue 02-Mar-10 21:25:48

Had house refurb last year so moved in and out. 3 bed to 3 bed to 4 bed ( made it bigger...).

Packed it all ourselves and moved all the small stuff ourselves, so furniture only £400. Distance about 2 miles.

Got 3 quotes, smallest company the cheapest. Cash in hand. wink

PDR Tue 02-Mar-10 22:06:23

Ok so packing seems to be essential. If it's only a couple of hundred quid more then I guess it's worth it as I'd have to put DS into nursery if I packed myself anyway as he'd be all over the place.

Question do they literally pack everything like knives and forks from drawers or do I need to sort everything out in advance? Sorry if that sounds thick!

I am thinking it's going to be around the £750 mark if Hampshire is £1k (we're in North Devon).

chicaguapa Fri 05-Mar-10 20:27:42

The t&c's on ours says we have to take jewellery and food from fridge/ freezer. They literally pack everything else, including elastic bands and paperclips on the floor! grin We are going to pack a couple of boxes beforehand of stuff we want to open first when we move in, like bedding, kettle etc as we won't know what box the removal company has packed it all in.

PDR Mon 08-Mar-10 11:39:37

If anyone else is interested, first quote is in and its
£450+ VAT for the removals
and an extra
£280 + VAT for the full packing service

thehouseremovalscompany Tue 01-May-12 17:45:25

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

SAMBAUKER Tue 25-Dec-12 19:44:20

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

SAMBAUKER Tue 25-Dec-12 21:23:29

onedev Tue 25-Dec-12 21:28:22

We paid £1600 for full packing service for a reasonably sized 3-bed, moving 2 miles. Company were fab & made it so easy.

SAMBAUKER Tue 25-Dec-12 21:42:25

5 years ago, we paid about £1000 for packing and removal from West London to South Wales. They literally packed everything they're allowed to transport (they don't move paint cans and things like that). We used our car for important things I didn't want damaged or lost.

I found it really useful to pack the bathroom myself (moving out anything to go in the van) and then use that room as the storage room for everything not going in the removal van. Just stuck a note on the door, saying don't pack! It meant I could leave the kettle in there, a couple of mugs, hoover, cleaning things, emergency biscuits and a box of DIY supplies including light bulbs etc that we wanted in our car and not in the removal van (as we were driving straight to the new house and the van was stopping overnight). Worked really well.

We kept all the boxes too as they're brilliant for storing stuff in the attic!

Sorry.... old thread!

aarenace Fri 08-Mar-13 07:56:52

Moving is just a symbol that you have to pay a lot for services. Anyway , if you consider it from an alternate perspective , the relocation with an experienced relocating organization is an efficient selection as you could possibly get services that you desire when you need them ; services that offered by a professional mover will be superior as well as efficient . Therefore while relocating, it is highly recommended to hire a moving company. Although the cost related issues are logical. So we’ve decided to discuss 10 great ways to lessen moving cost.

kanecarter Thu 11-Apr-13 08:38:56

As above mentioned about reallymoving obtain instant quotes from different local companies.
I have also experience about www.removalshub.co.uk , They obtain 6 removals quotes in less than a minute. We are moving a 3 bed house 190 miles and it's going to cost £1,200+VAT including the packing.

A quick question about getting removals quotes through the websites mentioned above - our house isn't even on the market yet, but we want to get an idea of moving costs so we can put together a budget and work out how much we can spend on our new house. We don't really want to be hassled by the removals firms, so can you just get a no-obligation quote? (I don't really want to give my phone number/email to any firms just yet).

twopints Tue 07-May-13 11:02:02

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

jennychatwin1954 Tue 03-Sep-13 12:05:07

I live in East Lothian, Scotland and will be moving from a four bed to five bed in the next two months or so. The distance we're moving is 20 miles. Any recommendations for a removal firm? Any idea of costs?

Thanks

Jen

xXSharonXx Sun 17-Nov-13 11:50:46

aarenace Fri 27-Dec-13 10:02:10

I think you don’t need a visit from any company for removal quotes. Pack your stuff by yourself and get quotes from the quote form of any company online by putting the info, like location, distance, bed room’s etc.
Try it; www.theremoval.com/newprocess0.php

cafesociety Fri 27-Dec-13 15:12:30

For my last move [and other moves before] I use a reputable, insured 'Man with a Van'! Do my own packing, leaving just bedding/kettle/tea/milk/TV/laptop to go in my car the morning of the move....a takeaway the night before.

3 bed bungalow to 3 bed bungalow [no wardrobes, no cooker] locally in 2011...2 journeys....£75!

He was careful with furniture, covering it all up, packing it all well. No damages and friendly cooperative service. Job done.

PRL67 Sat 01-Feb-14 11:53:59

Hi JuJubean what company did you use for your removal as we are in Hampshire. Thanks.

Haty786 Thu 06-Feb-14 07:40:07

Jane090469 Sun 16-Mar-14 09:43:12

specialsubject Sun 16-Mar-14 10:12:38

wow, this is bringing out the spammers..

NEVER use anyone with just a mobile number.

Dankay78 Sun 27-Apr-14 19:41:29

The fastest way to find out the costs of removal companies in the UK is to go to houseconveyancing.org/removal-company-quotes/ You will then get 6 removals quotes from moving firms in your local area.

Aliya845 Tue 27-May-14 19:55:09

Hi Everyone, i would like to share my personal experience with removal firms.The day one we find out our moving date i go on removal price comparison site www.getabestmover.co.uk and submit all our details for moving same day few removal firms called me ask me a convenient time to visit property finally i had we prices from £300 to £1500 decided to choose a cheap company Called Smart MOVE they turn with very small van to move my 3bed house were very rude and broke our dinning table and other small damages and also left the job in middle and decided to move off i called the police but that didn't help because of terms and condition so i would say everyone don't go for cheap removal company.

RichardWhite Mon 25-Aug-14 14:14:03

We recently moved our 4 bed house from Shepherds Bush to Norwich everything were packed by us they just move stuff for us on very cheap price check them www.dexmanvancompanyltd.co.uk

Bohemond Mon 25-Aug-14 14:32:56

Rural somerset also moving c15 miles.
For 4 bed house (large) plus full garage with 1 day's packing of kitchen and breakable items plus £100k insurance it is £1800 including VAT. We need two trucks.

tb Wed 27-Aug-14 12:21:20

Just one tip - don't use a broker. We did when moving from the UK to France and it was a total disaster.

The company had been on Channel 4, and were well-recommended.

They arrived late, broke the drain cover on the drive and packed loads of things that shouldn't have been packed.

We had some things stored, and then later found out that some things were just left in their offices. We had loads of things damaged - they just dumped our dining chairs in the road with the chairs 'seat to seat' despite them having high backs, and so due to the chippings on the road the top rails of the chairs look as if they've been nail-punched. In storage they took apart and oak dining table, so when it arrived the top was separate from the trestles and the central leaf had a big deep scratch on it.

Bookcases were damaged and a mattress and bed base stained and water-marked due to not being wrapped and placed against the rubber seals in the van. They were pushed against the seals in transit which stained them.

We gave the driver a cd with photos of the damage on, and he signed that he'd been paid in full to activate the insurance.

We never heard another thing.

We had a box delivered to us with someone else's belongings in, but no means of tracing them. I opened it and there was a picture in it that hadn't been wrapped and all the glass in the frame was smashed.

They were based in Redbridge in London.

tb Wed 27-Aug-14 12:22:03

I've also never seen again the amethyst ear-rings that dh gave me as a silver wedding anniversary present.

Emily69 Mon 01-Sep-14 11:42:41

naughty123 Sat 13-Sep-14 01:59:59

I hired removal services from www.advantageremovals.co.uk last month. I was being give two options
1. Hourly price
2. Fixed price
I would suggest to go for fixed price but provide as much information as you can about the inventory, Parking arrangements, availability of help. and offer maximum flexibility to avail lowest possible price.

LatteLoverLovesLattes Sat 13-Sep-14 02:10:54

ZOMBIE THREAD

5794yummymummy Sun 19-Oct-14 17:42:47

Hi I have recently moved (1/10/14) from a 4 bed to a 5 bed and the company I used were outstanding and were £500 cheaper than the lowest quote I got and had 5 companies come round, I paid £900 and that was for packing 1 day (with all packing material supplied) and moving the next day with 2 vans moving 40 miles. The company was www.welike2moveitgloucester.co.uk but think they also have branches in hereford and bristol. I also found www.freeindex.co.uk/ helped as theres loads of reviews so you know who you are using are good and reputable. Hope this helps you

5794yummymummy Sun 19-Oct-14 17:45:49

Also forgot to say get as many quotes as possible, All the companies that came to mine gave a free no obligation quote so shop around

shellbabes Tue 21-Oct-14 14:25:52

Moving house is not Cheap if you use the big removal companies!
However there are lots of smaller family run removal firms that will certainly move you for a fair price.
If you do a search on Google Bing or any other search engine, you will find lots of small companies with great reputations,
which can be checked by reading reviews most good service providers will have a
Google+ page where you will find all the info you require as well as links to websites and contact details.
You will also find plenty of local review sites to help you decide who you would like to request a quote from.
If a customer has taken the time to write a review your sure to be on to a winner as good reviews are very rarely left.
Another tip don't write off a Man and van service as these are some of the best ones to use for a cheap move!
I used Norwich based E.A.L.H affordable house removal service norwich
they moved my 3 bed house using two big Luton vans and a crew of 3 to load and unload including free insurance which normally costs extra!
They moved us for £750 which was a great price when compared to our other quotes of between £1050 -1225 by pickfords and jarrets and hadley ottaway!
ealh were very professional so if your in Norfolk look them up.

vickibee Tue 21-Oct-14 14:31:09

We moved 12 miles and were quoted �800, DH decided we would do it ourselves and hired the biggest truck avail on a standard driving licence. What a surprise when our stuff didn't fit? we had to leave belongings on neigbours drive and come back later (good job it was a fine day) I wish we'd paid for the removal!!!

shellbabes Fri 24-Oct-14 16:36:47

I think that quote for a 12 mile move was a little high, our move was just over 50 miles so a really good price when compared to yours! I guess the price greatly depends on location and finding the company it really does pay to shop around we found our chaps on google search so probably got lucky.

williamdavid Tue 28-Oct-14 12:19:17

Man and van is the best removal company that never disappoints its customers living in Twickenham, try the services of <a href="http://www.manwithvan-removal.co.uk/man-and-van-guildford/">Man And Van Guildford</a> once and enjoy the best removals

MrsJonion Wed 29-Oct-14 09:05:37

I moved recently and used Ois removals , www.oisremovals.co.uk , they were very good, very reasonably priced, staff were very pleasant and they packed everything in advance, however they only only cover London

Winthroptuesday Thu 06-Nov-14 13:08:25

I'm astounded by some of the removal costs I'm reading here! I've just had two quotes, granted it isn't a straightforward move but even so.....
I'm moving 30 miles and have been quoted approx. 3500k and 4500k to pack a two bed bungalow, taking essentials and very little furniture to the new house and the rest to storage (the price of which isn't included in the prices I've quoted here btw!!) and back again after building works.
I have a garage, three sheds, lots of garden paraphernalia and plants plus a full loft to consider.
If I do the packing, the price comes down by about a grand. Whoop-de-doo!!
I'm on the east coast of lincolnshire, and would be interested to hear from anyone who has moved recently in the same area and what they paid as I think I'm getting my leg pulled, big time......

bestchoiceremovals Tue 02-Dec-14 05:37:12

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now