Has anyone got/ had a solid roof conservatory?

(123 Posts)
JHKE Thu 04-Feb-10 11:14:35

We are looking into getting a conservatory but don't really want to get one if its only useful for 6 months of the year. After looking on the internet I see that you can get conservatories with a solid roof. Its suppose be cooler in the summer and warmer in winter. I want to know if this is true.

Another reason for wanting to know is we are thinking of getting a puppy and this is where his bed will be but obviously can't if it still gets too hot.

Thanks

weiner1 Wed 01-Jul-15 14:30:09

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

weiner1 Wed 01-Jul-15 14:26:23

Jengca122 Mon 18-May-15 22:16:09

LovingTheSunshine Sat 07-Feb-15 00:13:20

A few years ago we used roof revive www.roof-revive.co.uk to put up an insulated inner roof. It really worked and we use the room a lot during winter (we have 2 radiators in there on low) but not as much during summer because it is a south facing garden and still gets hot but just not as hot as before. Think we paid about £3000 but unfortunately the company has gone into liquidation now. I think there are other companies who do similar work though. I would much prefer an extension to a conservatory any day!

Tinman85 Tue 03-Feb-15 11:42:56

I have recently had a fisherroof Fitted in november, its was well worth it! I only had work men at my house for 3 days and it has made a massive difference! The room is now usable amd my kids play in there as its the warmest room in the house! Www.fisherroof.co.uk

andytim1967 Wed 14-Jan-15 10:22:29

Has anyone used Cosyroof. It's a lightweight tiled system for an existing conservatory. I have a quote for about £6,000 for a 14ftx14ft victorian conservatory

Rugman40 Thu 01-Jan-15 18:41:54

I would be grateful for information on the fitter who did the conservatory ceiling

andytoknow Mon 29-Dec-14 17:57:19

CumbrianRene Sat 18-Oct-14 21:58:19

Any decent joiner should be able to put a ceiling (inner roof) in a conservatory, and I have seen various examples online, Some have plasterboarded following the roof shape and others creat a flat "ceiling". The problem with those is the condensation they get from the original metal frame of the conservatory. Hence other firms remove the metal roof altogether and replace it with an all wooden frame and "tiles" on the outside. That makes the job very expensive though.

Mrsf1tzy Tue 07-Oct-14 22:07:15

Hi, is this still on going with diamond seal? We had them come to us on 17th September and we paid the deposit via bank transfer and have heard nothing since, we've called and 'left messages' and been given the supposed md's email address but no response from that either. We had searched the company and have found no negative reviews but something definitely isn't right. I have now emailed watchdog!

morganareo8 Tue 07-Oct-14 14:08:42

As far as I an concerned the only way to create a liveable conservatory is to change the roof with a light weight insulated tiled roof. Just putting in a ceiling with some insulation above is half the job and you will find its life is limited because pc sheets don't last that long. The conservatoryroofconversionsco.co.uk did ours

CumbrianRene Thu 02-Oct-14 21:10:27

Read the messages re a tiled conservatory roof and decided we should do that. Back in July 2014 we spoke to a couple of local firms and then rang a firm that advertised in the Daily Mail (or the Mail on Sunday). Diamond Seal UK sent their rep over to see us and we ordered replacement roof panels made from composite materials. We gave the rep a cheque as a deposit on the agreement that it would not be paid into their bank until after their surveyor had been to measure up. That was to give me time to move some money into our current account. However they paid our cheque in immediately. I then cancelled the order under the terms of their contract. Since then I have had more excuses then truth, and 2 cheques, both of which they stopped before they were cleared. Then I was promised a bank transfer by a man who claimed he was the boss, but his promise meant nothing. After advice I sent them a letter by registered post, but it came back marked "addressee gone away". Despite that their freephone sales line is still manned offering to get someone to ring you back. That is unless I call, as my calls are never returned.
Be warned, stay away from Diamond Seal UK

louisemya Tue 23-Sep-14 21:46:12

Nevertoobusytochat Tue 23-Sep-14 17:12:55

Goldilocks3Bears Sat 20-Sep-14 16:54:06

Hello - great answers above but I have a question or two:

1. I have a massive Edwardian dwarf walled conservatory that was plonked on an L-shaped house by the previous owners. The roof goes up to the middle from all four sides. So my question is, if I changed to a tiled replacement roof, would I be able to change it to a lean-to roof, coming down from under my bedroom window?? This would imho give it more of an extension feel than the giveaway pitched shape of an Edwardian roof.

2. Has anyone reading this had a permanent flat roof fitted as I saw that somewhere on the internet too (with a glass skylight)?

Goldi

JamJimJam Sun 29-Jun-14 14:00:22

It's worth noting that a conservatory with a tiled roof is no longer a conservatory in terms of the building regulations, and will have to be treated as an extension.

louisemya Sun 29-Jun-14 11:01:53

marty52 Mon 12-May-14 23:44:55

marty52 Mon 12-May-14 16:58:58

Bunbaker Mon 12-May-14 16:58:50

I had a leaflet the other day from a company that installs solid roofs onto existing conservatories. If we knew we were staying in this house it is something I would seriously consider. I don't know how good they are and I'm not allowed to advertise but if you google solid roof they will turn up.

marty52 Mon 12-May-14 16:52:06

marty52 Mon 12-May-14 16:48:29

marty52 Mon 12-May-14 16:45:43

ponyruby2624 Mon 12-May-14 13:01:27

hi has anyone had any problems with their new roofs leaking

Jolia Sat 12-Apr-14 21:20:47

First of all, going back to the beginning of this thread about inner lining/insulation of an existing conservatory roof, there is a company called Roof Revive that do this (there are many others). I don't know whether this is a good solution. I read a review of it in a Sunday newspaper and it was a tad negative, the author being concerned about moisture gathering between the roof and the insulation.

Over the last couple of years I have been researching this heat/glare/cold problem as we had a large conservatory with a double glazed roof. It was too big and like in many homes, had become a repository for stuff you don't know what to do with. Anyway, we discounted blinds, solar film, Roof Revive, air conditioning. We decided to reduce the size as it was disproportionate to our needs and to go for the solid roof.

We have just had a Guardian Roof fitted and we are pleased. It looks like part of the property and not a bolt on as is usually the case with conservatories. It is much warmer, quieter and more cosy. It hasn't made the room that it is built onto dark as there is still plenty of light from the windows. Also, the ceiling is white with lights embedded. We have one Velux roof window.

There are several layers of insulation - there is a lot of work involved and you need a builder who is experienced in fitting them. Building Regulations is required so you need to add about £300 - £400 for that, and they can stop the work if the foundations are not adequate - they need to be at least 150mm depth. www.labc.uk.com/Media/Default/Public%20Documents/labc_Guidance_on_solid_roofs_to_conservatories.pdf

One other thing - get several quotes. These structures are without doubt expensive and costs vary greatly. Our first quote was £4,000 more than the price we eventually paid. This was by one of dedicated, larger conservatory companies. We bought the roof and employed a self employed builder who the company recommended. Couldn't fault any of it.

It is early days for us but right now I would recommend this roof. Certainly the room is warmer and I am hoping cooler in summer - at least it cannot be worse than it was and we won't have the glare. It's a proper room now - part of the house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now