Has anyone got/ had a solid roof conservatory?

(128 Posts)
JHKE Thu 04-Feb-10 11:14:35

We are looking into getting a conservatory but don't really want to get one if its only useful for 6 months of the year. After looking on the internet I see that you can get conservatories with a solid roof. Its suppose be cooler in the summer and warmer in winter. I want to know if this is true.

Another reason for wanting to know is we are thinking of getting a puppy and this is where his bed will be but obviously can't if it still gets too hot.

Thanks

Gemma175 Wed 30-Mar-16 10:08:18

Ladies my friend went to Abbey Windows and used a living roof system. Here is the link for the living roof system. It basically gave them a livable temperature www.ultraframe-conservatories.co.uk/solid-roofs/livinroof/

digging4victory Fri 25-Mar-16 22:08:58

I had my conservatory roof replaced by Wetheralds last year. It wasn't cheap, but I'm really happy with it. Mine has Metrotiles because they match the house. It has made such a difference, now it feels like a normal part of the house.

MyLocal Tue 22-Mar-16 08:36:51

Just found this thread whilst doing research into solid tiled roof replacement for conservatories.

Anyone else got anything good or bad to add? recommendations for quality suppliers in West Yorkshire? any knowledge on the difference between Tapco slate (preferred look) and the Metrotile in terms of quality, cost etc?

I have a small rectangle conservatory with a gable end and only use it very occasionally as a dining room as too hot/cold most of the time.

Glenelg Sat 19-Mar-16 09:35:48

I had a Guardian roof and replacement conservatory installed last year. It was a catalogue of disasters from start to finish. We used one of their ‘approved installers’ Roofsense. The work was delayed twice due to issues with the fabricator letting them down. When the work did start a 2 week job turned into 4 months. They habitually didn’t turn up or arrived late and left early. Communications were poor. The quality of the workmanship is generally awful and many things had to be redone. For example the foundations were in the wrong place, the whole frame is not straight in any direction which means the doors swing out and the double doors have never worked – they jam and despite multiple requests to fix were never done. The internal roof boarding was so bad that no plasterers would touch it and we ended up taking it down and rebattening it ourselves. The roof leaks where it joins the house and they haven’t leaded it – it is just a stick on material that has not been chased into the wall so I ended up spending a lot of money to get a professional roofer to lead it properly.

The company gave up trying to fix the problems and have disappeared. I’m now left with a building that has no building control paperwork and no guarantees. The fabricator won’t provide me with guarantees as Roofsense hadn’t fully paid them. Guardian did not want to know as they don’t deal with the public direct.

I would advise anyone considering this to do their research and look at all the options and research your installer. Guardian charge a lot for what is a fairly basic design and I do not think we have received value for money or the service we were expecting.

As for the conservatory, well it is warm in winter but even on sunny days it gets unbearably hot so I don't think it delivers all of the benefits they claim.

amacbishop Wed 24-Feb-16 19:17:34

We had a roof replacement on our conservatory and it has made a big difference. The room is a part of the house now and very comfortable. We had ours done by CosyRoof based in Northern Ireland and they were very low-cost but I wouldn't recommend them.

They were fast to the point of rushing everything and we had to call them back several times to sort problems. Our roof sprang a leak after a week and they attempted to fix it but it leaked twice more after that. We ended up patching it up ourselves. We tried to get them to come out to fix it permanently but were met with hostility by the proprietor. He said he would arrange to come again to fix the problem but we have seen no-one and heard no more about it.

We are out of pocket for the patch-up job we've done and will probably have to part with even more money to sort the problem with another company.

In short - pay a bit more to someone who will take a bit of time and care!

weiner1 Wed 01-Jul-15 14:30:09

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

weiner1 Wed 01-Jul-15 14:26:23

Jengca122 Mon 18-May-15 22:16:09

LovingTheSunshine Sat 07-Feb-15 00:13:20

A few years ago we used roof revive www.roof-revive.co.uk to put up an insulated inner roof. It really worked and we use the room a lot during winter (we have 2 radiators in there on low) but not as much during summer because it is a south facing garden and still gets hot but just not as hot as before. Think we paid about £3000 but unfortunately the company has gone into liquidation now. I think there are other companies who do similar work though. I would much prefer an extension to a conservatory any day!

Tinman85 Tue 03-Feb-15 11:42:56

I have recently had a fisherroof Fitted in november, its was well worth it! I only had work men at my house for 3 days and it has made a massive difference! The room is now usable amd my kids play in there as its the warmest room in the house! Www.fisherroof.co.uk

andytim1967 Wed 14-Jan-15 10:22:29

Has anyone used Cosyroof. It's a lightweight tiled system for an existing conservatory. I have a quote for about £6,000 for a 14ftx14ft victorian conservatory

Rugman40 Thu 01-Jan-15 18:41:54

I would be grateful for information on the fitter who did the conservatory ceiling

andytoknow Mon 29-Dec-14 17:57:19

CumbrianRene Sat 18-Oct-14 21:58:19

Any decent joiner should be able to put a ceiling (inner roof) in a conservatory, and I have seen various examples online, Some have plasterboarded following the roof shape and others creat a flat "ceiling". The problem with those is the condensation they get from the original metal frame of the conservatory. Hence other firms remove the metal roof altogether and replace it with an all wooden frame and "tiles" on the outside. That makes the job very expensive though.

Mrsf1tzy Tue 07-Oct-14 22:07:15

Hi, is this still on going with diamond seal? We had them come to us on 17th September and we paid the deposit via bank transfer and have heard nothing since, we've called and 'left messages' and been given the supposed md's email address but no response from that either. We had searched the company and have found no negative reviews but something definitely isn't right. I have now emailed watchdog!

morganareo8 Tue 07-Oct-14 14:08:42

As far as I an concerned the only way to create a liveable conservatory is to change the roof with a light weight insulated tiled roof. Just putting in a ceiling with some insulation above is half the job and you will find its life is limited because pc sheets don't last that long. The conservatoryroofconversionsco.co.uk did ours

CumbrianRene Thu 02-Oct-14 21:10:27

Read the messages re a tiled conservatory roof and decided we should do that. Back in July 2014 we spoke to a couple of local firms and then rang a firm that advertised in the Daily Mail (or the Mail on Sunday). Diamond Seal UK sent their rep over to see us and we ordered replacement roof panels made from composite materials. We gave the rep a cheque as a deposit on the agreement that it would not be paid into their bank until after their surveyor had been to measure up. That was to give me time to move some money into our current account. However they paid our cheque in immediately. I then cancelled the order under the terms of their contract. Since then I have had more excuses then truth, and 2 cheques, both of which they stopped before they were cleared. Then I was promised a bank transfer by a man who claimed he was the boss, but his promise meant nothing. After advice I sent them a letter by registered post, but it came back marked "addressee gone away". Despite that their freephone sales line is still manned offering to get someone to ring you back. That is unless I call, as my calls are never returned.
Be warned, stay away from Diamond Seal UK

louisemya Tue 23-Sep-14 21:46:12

Nevertoobusytochat Tue 23-Sep-14 17:12:55

Goldilocks3Bears Sat 20-Sep-14 16:54:06

Hello - great answers above but I have a question or two:

1. I have a massive Edwardian dwarf walled conservatory that was plonked on an L-shaped house by the previous owners. The roof goes up to the middle from all four sides. So my question is, if I changed to a tiled replacement roof, would I be able to change it to a lean-to roof, coming down from under my bedroom window?? This would imho give it more of an extension feel than the giveaway pitched shape of an Edwardian roof.

2. Has anyone reading this had a permanent flat roof fitted as I saw that somewhere on the internet too (with a glass skylight)?

Goldi

JamJimJam Sun 29-Jun-14 14:00:22

It's worth noting that a conservatory with a tiled roof is no longer a conservatory in terms of the building regulations, and will have to be treated as an extension.

louisemya Sun 29-Jun-14 11:01:53

marty52 Mon 12-May-14 23:44:55

marty52 Mon 12-May-14 16:58:58

Bunbaker Mon 12-May-14 16:58:50

I had a leaflet the other day from a company that installs solid roofs onto existing conservatories. If we knew we were staying in this house it is something I would seriously consider. I don't know how good they are and I'm not allowed to advertise but if you google solid roof they will turn up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now