Has anyone got/ had a solid roof conservatory?

(115 Posts)
JHKE Thu 04-Feb-10 11:14:35

We are looking into getting a conservatory but don't really want to get one if its only useful for 6 months of the year. After looking on the internet I see that you can get conservatories with a solid roof. Its suppose be cooler in the summer and warmer in winter. I want to know if this is true.

Another reason for wanting to know is we are thinking of getting a puppy and this is where his bed will be but obviously can't if it still gets too hot.

Thanks

fineally Thu 04-Feb-10 22:00:33

I need a solid roof for an existing too hot/too cold conservatory, did the info you saw on the internet say anything about retro fitting? Grateful for link! And yes I think a solid roof would make a big difference because insulation could be installed.

wiggleandgroove Mon 15-Mar-10 22:19:03

Hi,

We would never buy a conservatory again due to the heat problems. The summer heat we solved by installing solar inserts into our polycarbonate roof however, the heat loss in winter; well, we just suffered huge heating bills. It was the only way we could use the conservatory all through the year.

However, last summer we purchased a new inner roof which has transformed our conservatory into a genuine sun room. From the outside we still have the appearance of a conservatory however, inside its just like another room in the house. Now we are cool in the summer and really warm in the winter without huge heating bills.

I hope this helps.

Katymac Mon 15-Mar-10 22:23:18

wiggleandgroove......inner roof?? what? where? - can I have one?

Bramshott Tue 16-Mar-10 14:34:01

They have them a lot in Ireland - usually called a Sun Room.

veryconfusedandupset Tue 16-Mar-10 15:30:34

We have one - came with the house when new. It has a tiled roof with 2 velux windows, glass windows all the way round from about 3 feet up and wall below that, whole thing about 14 feet by 9. It faces south and still gets very hot in the summer but it is a lovely room, we always have Christmas dinner in there and any dinner parties ( not very often ) In the winter it needs electric heater on for an hour in the morning if we want to use it for lunch, but with a few people in there it stays quite warm, excellent - suggest you get one, looks much nicer than a clear roofed one.

Nattynoos Tue 16-Mar-10 17:20:31

wiggleandgroove - what company did your inner roof?.... im really interested as i would love one!

Katymac Wed 17-Mar-10 19:08:05

Bump to find out more about wiggleandgroove's new roof

Fizzylemonade Thu 18-Mar-10 11:23:26

Another shameless bump for info on wiggleandgroove's roof

ScaredOfCows Thu 18-Mar-10 11:48:59

We changed the roof on ours to a glass one, double glazed and has some kind of coating that keeps it cooler in summer and warmer in winter. It is fantastic, the room has gone from one that was only really usable on warm spring or autumn days, to one that is really comfortable all year round. It is quite a large conservatory, with just one radiator for heating - really recommend a glass roof.

Katymac Fri 19-Mar-10 11:22:52

I'd really like to hear about the inner roof

lostinwales Fri 19-Mar-10 11:29:36

I've just had a slate roofed conservatory on the back of my kitchen and it's transformed our house! It has underfloor heating and nothing else and we have used it throughout this blooming freezing weather we've had, had christmas lunch in there during a hail storm/deluge/thunderstorm and it was cozy and dry. Haven't had it through a summer yet, but I'm hoping with two veluxes we'll be able to keep it cool and enjoy it. Our budgie lives in there and is very happy. And when it was being built we kept finding a neighbours cat under the sink enjoying the underfloor heating as it dried out the concrete slab!

ThinkingAboutSchemes Fri 19-Mar-10 16:10:06

I also want to know the info about the inner roof! Our conservatory is massive & it was far too cold to use in the winter (only been here a few months) & was thinking baout looking to get the roof changed, if possible.

Come on wiggleandgroove chime in......

Katymac Fri 19-Mar-10 20:15:06

First let me say, I am not a stalker

But that was wiggleandgroove's only MN post sad

I think we will never see the inner roof sad

Nattynoos Fri 19-Mar-10 21:36:58

Oh no....dont say that Katymac as im on here everynight waiting for her to answer :-(

Katymac Fri 19-Mar-10 21:38:35

Me too

Are we going to have to google?

Nattynoos Sat 20-Mar-10 07:05:15

I did try but did not come up with much....will try again and see what i can find!

Katymac Sat 20-Mar-10 09:29:48

Me neither sad

amlek Sat 20-Mar-10 15:48:14

I too am very interested in the idea of an inner roof....I've being surfing the internet since seeing wiggleandgroove's post & the only thing I've come up with is that some people have put up a suspended ceiling in their conservatories....food for thought?

citybranch Sat 20-Mar-10 20:22:53

LOL, I haven't got a conservatory (yet) and I have been dying to know about the inner roof.

Lubyloo Mon 22-Mar-10 15:04:26

Bumping again because I really need to know about the inner roof!!

Nattynoos Mon 22-Mar-10 16:15:08

Well done Lubyloo.....me too!!!!!

Katymac Mon 29-Mar-10 23:22:20

Further bump

wheelerdealer Sun 14-Nov-10 09:12:32

I have a friend with the same problem. She found nichollsandcooke in southampton could
solve all things related to tiled roof conservatories

wheelerdealer Sun 14-Nov-10 09:14:54

I have friend who has just fitted a solid roof to here conservatory. Try nichollsandcooke in southampton they seem to know everything about tiled roof conservatories

1percentawake Sun 14-Nov-10 21:59:16

Sorry can't help with the inner roof question (although bumping just in case!!) but I'm thinking about this too as it would give us more privacy from our neighbours who directly overlook our garden!

What I was wondering is does it make the rooms that are attached to it darker without a glass roof? We have a south west facing garden so only have direct sunshine in the evening...

Nickj101 Fri 07-Oct-11 11:11:09

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

teta Fri 07-Oct-11 13:52:54

There is a company called Roof Revive that do the suspended insulated roofs under the glass or polycarbonate.I have had a quote of arround 2000 pounds for my small conservatory.The problem is our heating bills [partially due to the conservatory] are more than 2500 pounds annually so i am currently debating whether its worth doing.Another thing is i don't know anyone who has had this done or anyone with any experience.I think a good builder could reroof with tiles/slate providing the structure is strong enough.Most upvc conservatorys would need strengthening though.

bobian81 Mon 28-Nov-11 23:44:07

We've got the same problem, we've a massive 13ft by 18ft south facing conservatory, far too hot in july and aug, and too blooming cold nov to march, we have given up trying to heat it, I've taken some advice, on friday we are having a suspended ceiling fitted, with a layer of rock wool above it, our roof is opaque so you wont even see it from the outside, its only costing £270 including installation, so we'll soon see how good it is, if it causes any problems, i can always take it down, its only an aluminium grid with 60 x 60 insert panels, the panel manufacturers say it should be fine, i'm worried about the void heating up in the summer though, although our panels are opaque

ToothlessFairy Mon 28-Nov-11 23:53:32

found this

Big cost banana?

bobian81 Tue 29-Nov-11 08:01:39

tooth, thats why we're just installing a cheap but effective suspended ceiling, if we dont like it, we can just take it out

ToothlessFairy Tue 29-Nov-11 18:21:45

How much will your suspended ceiling be, if you don't mind me asking and will you make it as low as the top of the windows? We have a victorian conservatory with knackered panels, very unsightly, and were thinking of maybe a tongue and groove style roof, what sort are you going for?

KatyMac Tue 29-Nov-11 18:25:32

I have a lean to so I can't do the inner suspended ceiling sad

bobian81 Tue 29-Nov-11 18:53:55

tooth, the suspended ceiling is working out at £10 a sq/m including fitting, then there is a small cost on top for fibre glass insulation roll so mines going to be £270 including insulation, i will sort the lights out myself, my ceiling is going to be hung on wires just above the windows, i will have 7ft of head height, not great I know but better than all that heat loss, here is a link to the supplier of the materials
www.amfceilings.co.uk
My fitter lives in rotherham, let me if your not far away, if you want him, i'll give you his number. we've been reccommended to go for the thermatex finestratos panels, they are a satin white finish with a rough sand paper feel

ToothlessFairy Tue 29-Nov-11 19:37:26

ooh that's not too bad then. DP reckons ours is about 10m sq. We are not in your area unfortunately though. Thanks for the info.

bobian81 Wed 30-Nov-11 12:28:08

I've just disconnected the fans today, we're going to use the circuit to feed some lights in the new ceiling, the fans will stop in place above the ceiling, at the end of the day, if it didnt workout or we changed our mind it would be a simple job to dismantle the ceiling and put it back as it was

bobian81 Wed 30-Nov-11 13:49:38

this is a very interesting company, retiling the exsisting conservatory roof spars with lightweight roofing tiles
www.matrixenergy.ie/index2.htm

bobian81 Fri 02-Dec-11 17:21:43

hi, its now been fully installed, and we are delighted, just sat in here on a cold winters night, just feels like any other room, if anyone wants a picture before and after let me know

ToothlessFairy Sat 03-Dec-11 00:27:34

Yes please!

bobian81 Sat 03-Dec-11 10:05:00

hi, if you want photos please email me at bobian81@hotmail.com, i dont know how to attach pictures to this message, i'm sat in my conny this morning, its bright and sunny, and its warmed up much quicker than it does normally, my wife said before the heating came on at 7.30 it was about 2 degrees lower than the rest of the house, not bad considering it used to get like an icebox LOL

Nodrogetak Wed 07-Dec-11 19:37:42

Hi Bobian81, this is my 1st post and the only reason I have joined is to ask about your ceiling (I live in Rotherham and noticed your fitter is from here) I cannot face another freezing winter with my conservatory being open to the kitchen and dining room and have been quite cold eating my evening meal tonight so thought i'd get right onto sorting it out. Has it cost more than originally anticipated when it had been fitted? what about the gaps round the edges - are they filled with anything? and have the draughts stopped? x

bobian81 Fri 09-Dec-11 22:08:16

nodro, i've sent you an email with photos before and after, no more drafts ! or serious heat losses, as i said earlier it seems to be about a 2 deg heat loss, as opposed to about 20 before !

dipsydonna Mon 12-Dec-11 13:00:58

we have just had a solid tile conservatory roof fitted from www.guardianconservatoryroofs.co.uk check them out! just perfect. after many attempts to get the job done this company gave the real deal, its nearly an extention would recomend them anywhere.

GeorginaWorsley Wed 14-Dec-11 22:02:47

OOh,tell me more about solid tile roof!
Did you need to re inforce the window panels or anything??

samash1 Fri 03-Feb-12 19:16:20

Hi dipsy donna, I have just started investigating having our conservatory roof replaced with tiles because our con is like the arctic...what's it like now in this weather? Could you give me a rough idea of cost? What tile type did you go for? Lots of questions, thanks

gbbat31 Tue 27-Mar-12 20:18:45

Hi Bobian81 .. We are looking to knock our kitchen into our conservatory and want something that would help with heat loss in the winter and heat reduction in the summer. Please could you send pictures also so I could have a look... sorry, its been over 3 months since your last post

LadyWithEDS Tue 27-Mar-12 20:35:44

Apparently, there is a new roof available that lets in as much light as clear glass, holds heat and cools better in winter/summer, it is not a glass one though.

We do - we just converted ours from a glass (leaky) roof to a solid one. We needed to fit iron ties to support the structure and it was not cheap. But it's bloody marvellous. Average temperature has risen by 10 degrees on cold days and on warm days it doesn't go over 25 degrees (which may sound hot but actually it was hitting 40 some days so that's pretty good.)

Things to consider: it's easier if you have dwarf walls to support the structure, is not suitable for UPVC (only wood).

In terms of cost when starting from nothing, a solid extension is about 30% more than a good conservatory but will last 100 years whereas a conservatory is basically knackered in 30.

We have a vaulted, not suspended ceiling btw. It's a good option for making the room appear bigger. Ours cost about £6k to convert (which included structural consultancy, building costs, electrics, plastering, spanish slates (cheaper than welsh), reguttering etc.

Marthasfishbowl Wed 28-Mar-12 21:30:17

We had a leaflet through the door about having a plastered 'inner roof' installed. Sorry, I binned it. Did look good though! Might have been this company: www.roof-revive.co.uk/

Conservatory Wed 18-Jul-12 20:12:53

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

RAYMAN20001 Sun 25-Nov-12 22:01:29

Seen you post on net and sounds interesting could you send me photos of what you did please

RAYMAN20001 Sun 25-Nov-12 22:35:20

Seen photos and looks brill, shame I live in Cornwall cos that is a lovely job! Just what I want.

Clarkey1408 Thu 14-Mar-13 20:37:20

So.... We have roof revive on site today and tomorrow installing the insulating roof system on to our 5 x4 ft conservatory! After fighting frostbite for 5 years lets hope this works!!! Will keep you updated!!!! If interested in seeing any pics or further questions let me know! Ps fingers crossed it works!!!

LovingTheSunshine Sun 17-Mar-13 21:11:14

We have used roofrevive and were very impressed. Conservatory is now a toasty 21 degrees during the day (have just had a nap on the sofa in there) and am looking forward to using it this summer for the first time....fingers crossed it keeps a lot of the heat OUT!

PigletJohn Mon 18-Mar-13 13:10:46

I have heard of roofrevive, they seem to be overpriced.

Did the people recommending them join just to post spam recommendations?

PigletJohn Mon 18-Mar-13 15:01:11

sorry sunshine I now see not you. Though there have been others.

LovingTheSunshine Mon 18-Mar-13 23:00:43

No problem PigletJohn. I don't post that much really To be honest, the £3k we paid for the roof is pricey but we were quoted £15k to put on lightweight tiles so £3k seemed the better & quicker option. And it works, although have yet to experience summertime smile

Chocolateprincess Wed 20-Mar-13 22:50:55

My Dad works for a company PHil coppell limited in lancashire they do these roofs and they look really good

Iusedtosleepbeforehavingkids Wed 10-Apr-13 10:39:53

Just wondering if there is anyone who has had this roof revive or similar put on their conservatory a while ago now (I am thinking 2-3 years). Just wondering what your opinion is of it after living with it for a while? Where you able to use your conservatory over the winter? Was it warm all day or only in the morning/afternoon/evening? Looking into doing something with our conservatory but not sure about one of these roof revive type internal roofs or a new lightweight roof. Cost and warmth of the room are both important.

Primrose123 Wed 10-Apr-13 10:50:29

We've got a good sized conservatory with a proper roof. There are solid walls about 2 high and then glass above that. I'll post a picture if you want to see it. It's great, the temperature stays the same as the rest of the house.

We had a smaller conservatory in our last house with a glass roof. It was rubbish. Too hot in summer, too cold in winter, and the roof leaked in heavy rain. Our current conservatory (or sun room, I suppose) is totally different.

Primrose123 Wed 10-Apr-13 10:51:21

Sorry, that should say 2 feet high.

Iusedtosleepbeforehavingkids Wed 10-Apr-13 17:18:48

Hi Primrose,
Is your proper roof using these lightweight tiles (e.g. enviro tile, guardian roof system etc....) Or the usual heavy tiles on a regular roof? Just wondering if they do perform as well as a regular insulated roof.
Was the roof already on when you moved in or did you build / add the roof yourself? Just wondering if any additional work was required to the conservatory frame or foundations to support your roof?

Primrose123 Wed 10-Apr-13 18:11:40

Sorry Iusedtosleepbeforehavingkids I can't help you. It was already there when we bought the house. But I will say it's totally different from a normal conservatory, it's just like an extension of our living room and there is no difference in temperature from the rest of the house.

huffers Wed 10-Apr-13 21:38:51

Hi, just came across this thread. We have been looking at various options for our conservatory roof and we are really struggling to decide which way to go. For us we are not too concerned about the winter but we need to reduce the high temp in the summer.

There is a light tiled solid roof option - but these are expensive - quoted between 8K and 12k!

Next on the list is replacing the roof with a polycarbonate panel called 'heat guard'. This is much cheaper - around 2.5K. But anyone any experience of this product? Will it really be effective in reducing the temp significantly in the summer. I wrote the manufacturer but they were very non commital.

Last on the list is the inner solid roof option discussed above. Lots of feedback on winter performance but anyone able to comment on the summer performance?

Thanks....

ProphetOfDoom Wed 10-Apr-13 21:57:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

huffers Thu 11-Apr-13 21:12:24

Thanks SchmaltzingMatilda....

Just for a bit of extra clarity... I currenlty have 'normal' poly carb. When it is hot outside the conservatory gets so hot that vinyl has peeled off wood effect units! It easiy reaches over 40 degrees. Ideally I would like to keep the temperature below the outside temp - but at worse the same temperature as outside. Can you advise what the temp is like in the summer when the weather outside is hot (say 35 degrees) - does your conservatory stay around 35?

ProphetOfDoom Sat 13-Apr-13 15:44:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

flow4 Sat 13-Apr-13 17:49:49

Primrose, please do post a pic. smile

Primrose123 Sun 14-Apr-13 00:18:15

Ok, I'll take some tomorrow in the daylight. smile

flow4 Sun 14-Apr-13 17:26:25

Thanks Primrose. smile

Primrose123 Sun 14-Apr-13 22:57:07

Sorry, mad day today, I have hardly been at home! I'll do it tomorrow. smile

flow4 Sun 14-Apr-13 23:07:36

Don't worry. There's no rush... I'm just looking for ideas and interested to see what you've described. smile

Primrose123 Mon 15-Apr-13 14:27:36

Ok, I have completely failed at uploading the photos to my profile page, so they are on photobucket here. (Hope that's worked!)

flow4 Mon 15-Apr-13 23:16:45

That's lovely Primrose smile I like the way the shape of the room and the shape of the arch into the room sort of echo each other!
What are the walls below the windows like on the other side? Brick? Stone?

Primrose123 Mon 15-Apr-13 23:56:37

Thank you. The walls are brick on the outside. I'll try and get outside photos, and one of the roof if that's any help.

wendybird77 Tue 16-Apr-13 07:55:31

That is nice! Did they put the lights in as well? Did they say anything about cracking in the plaster with the wind blows and the conservatory moves?

flow4 Tue 16-Apr-13 08:00:06

It would be great to see it from outside too. smile

Iusedtosleepbeforehavingkids Fri 19-Apr-13 21:40:05

Anybody have the inner roof put in place? (leaving the polycarb roof and having a firm fit the insulation and plasterboard). What effect has it had on your conservatory in deepest winter? Is it useable? Any negative effects/issues from the insulation (condensation under insulation/leaks are some of things I am concerned about)

Blondehelly Tue 02-Jul-13 11:37:47

I have looked into these recently and after hearing mixed reviews about Guardian roofs suffering from condensation we decided to give www.Roof2Room.com solid conservatory roofs a go.
I have to say I am delighted with the results, in the recent hot weather it was lovely and cool and comfortable whilst we were able to enjoy the sunshine, and on the colder nights genuinely seems to hold the heat better.
From the moment we had them round for the quote to the moment the roof was finished they kept all promises and its a BIG thumbs-up from me!!

Sarahln Tue 02-Jul-13 23:33:26

Hi there blondehelly could you tell me if the roof2room where expensive we are hoping to also do this and wanted a rough idea of cost.

malcolmcharles Wed 07-Aug-13 08:48:38

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Honey222 Thu 17-Oct-13 11:18:56

Eggy2202 Fri 18-Oct-13 19:31:23

Just had a suspended ceiling fitted in my conservatory by Mick Tyler of Rotherham, if anyone is thinking of having it done I can defo recommend having it done by Mick. It looks very nice and feels warmer already, which is the main reason for having it done to enable us to use it all year round. I was worried it would look like an office but it doesn't. I have taken before & after photos if anyone would like to see them.

Beautifuldiamond88 Tue 22-Oct-13 21:06:58

Doing a bit of research about conservatory, I am downsizing, but I would like more day space, thus a new conservatory.
After reading all your reviews and feed backs, I am wondering whether I could install a new conservatory with a solid roof and do I need planning permission?!
I will be having an underfloor heating, again after feedback from others, I felt the conservatory could be used throughout the whole year and can enjoy my garden too.
I would be grateful if anyone of you could give me any answer. Thank you.

witsend123 Wed 23-Oct-13 13:39:17

Hi yes,
I have just had a new Guardian roof installed. I've posted some details on another blog site, but will add them here as well.

Ok, firstly you need to understand what you are trying to achieve and research carefully, there are a number of options out there and a number of cowboys who will do the work cheap. I didn't want that, what I wanted was a quality solution so my house could have an extra all year round room.

To start with I have a conservatory which is around 25 metres in size and is P shaped. It had a polycarbonate roof as fitted by the previous owner some 8 to 10 years ago, and the roof was starting to leak in small places. Normally a PC roof will need replacing around the 10 year mark although some may last longer. Therefore if you are considering an internal plaster board solution with a PC on top then it will eventually leak.

Secondly neither PC or glass roofs will hold back the heat either in or out, whether in summer or winter, therefore you will pay more for heating these conservatory roof types.

With respect to planning permission it depends on which area your are in and your local planning regs. My conservatory was built with planning permission 8 to 10 years ago, with under floor heating and no door between the conservatory and rest of the house and was therefore considered an extension. I therefore approached my local council with the new roof question and was told that provided it did not extend the current building, it was acceptable to put a new roof with considerably more isolation on the conservatory.

Please check with your local planning department.

There are a number of solid roof suppliers out there and I can only comment on Guardian. The roof is very good, in terms of construction.

However the roof is not normally installed by Guardian across the UK, therefore Guardian will recommend installers in your area. Ask to see their handy work before you sign the dotted line.

The cost for my roof 5x5 metres in size and P shaped was 10k. For that they remove the old roof, take away all the rubbish, protect floors and the room very well indeed. Install the new roof, insulation and finally plaster to a high quality finish.

The room is very warm now and much quieter and I have lost very little light because the ceiling is painted white and my PC roof was tinted.

In terms of condensation, you will only get this if the installer hasn't installed the roof correctly. There is an air gap between the layers of insulating board (two separate layers are fitted). If the air gap isn't there you can get condensation so keep an eye on the install to make sure its done correctly. Look on you tube for videos on this roof type.

In terms of the installation it took 3 days. Day 1 and within 6 hours they had removed the old roof and fitted the new complete with water proof covering and tiles. Day 2 they fitted most of the internal insulating material, plus finished the lead flashing outside. Day 3 they finished the insulation and plastered.

All in all it was a great job and looks fantastic. The price appears expensive but....

I was quoted 5k to replace the PC roof, 7 to 9k for glass and 10 k for the Guardian roof. As PC needs replacing every 10 years and the solid roof is guaranteed for 50 years, plus heating and fuel bill savings it makes sense to have your conservatory become part of the house year round. That’s just my take on it. Hope this is useful.

witsend123 Wed 23-Oct-13 13:47:00

Sorry as an addendum to the above….

Two tile types are available, plastic (which is the most expensive) or galvanise steel.

The latter is cheaper because its easier for the builders to fit (comes in long lengths and cut to size before it arrives, whereas the plastic tiles are fitted one at a time and take longer (nearly twice as long).

The roof will withstand 150 MPH winds (apparently) which means your house will disappear down the road but the conservatory roof will still be on it.

In terms of building a conservatory from new and having a solid roof, I am sure all of the builders suggested by Guardian will do this for you, but the cost of the rest of the building will probably add to the 10k a bit depending on the size you want.

Honey222 Wed 23-Oct-13 23:06:34

LadyGhana511 Mon 28-Oct-13 18:19:43

A website that might help you with your conservatory roof problems is www.roomsforlife.co.uk. They are helpful nice people

GeorginaWorsley Mon 28-Oct-13 21:38:48

We have Guardian system on ours,fitted by local builder/conservatory and window specialist.
Was fitted in March so haven't yet experienced deep winter,but we noticed big difference in the summer,it was never too hot,no glare etc.
Ours is open to our large living kitchen and I already can feel a difference in warmth.
We very pleased.

Xmania Wed 06-Nov-13 18:16:05

I hope this thread is still active as I have been 'stalking' it for the past few weeks while I mulled over the information and what to do with my lean to roof.

My lean to is 4m x 3m and the roof is 16mm triple wall polycarbonate sheets supported on timber beams. I am planning to change the sheets as it was inherited and should be around 15 years now and is leaking because the seal seem to have worn out.

I had been quoted £2500 for a 7 layered 35mm Opal polycarbonate roof. Is this price reasonable?

Once the roof is changed, I will like to insulate it. I am not concern about the amount of light that will be cut out or the aesthetics, but more concern about the usability of the room as a dining or relaxing place all year round.

My options are

1) Light Weight Roof Tiles: I read lots about it but haven't got any u value information about them. Many of the companies seem to have done it for only a few years now and their quotes are extortionate, in the region of £7k so this is out of the question

2) Suspended Ceiling: I have been told by a tradesman that this can result in condensation. However, I know a mumsnetter who had suspended ceiling for 2 years now and is very happy with the result and it was really cheap as well though I doubt I can find a price close to what she paid down in Kent where I am. Also, I am not sure who to find in Kent who does such thing. Is it a general builder?

3) Ceiling insulation: I read that some mumsnetter paste flooring underlay type of insulation onto their lean to roof to keep the room warm. I am no DIYer and my husband is worse. But I found a company in 2Hot2Cold who does a similar thing. They use 7 layers of insulation bonded together and fit it onto the ceiling, which creates a u value of 0.175. The price that they quoted me was £1600. The finish looks good but I am wondering if any mumsnetter use them before and are they good. I understand that they have been in operation for only 4 years and they give a 5 years guarantee so obviously it is quite a new product.

Just wondering if the price is reasonable and if any mumsnetter have any advice or product or tradesman recommendation in Kent.

I really appreciate your help and sorry for the long post. The cold is getting into my head!

Honey222 Fri 08-Nov-13 13:19:08

hilty2004 Sun 08-Dec-13 10:53:48

I have had a UPVC conservatory ceiling fitted by a company called warmcool www.warmcool.co.uk. Absolutely fantastic job and it really works.

redtheshepherd Tue 18-Mar-14 14:23:27

We have just had our conservatory roof replaced with a Guardian Roof. The difference in warmth is instantly noticeable, it's fantastic. We were so fed up of not using the conservatory from October to May and even last year because of the unusal hot summer we couldnt use it because it was like an oven.

We have had 2 roof windows allowing plenty of light and some spotlights fitted and painted the plaster white so we have plenty of light.
It is so quiet too as we had polycarbonate in the old roof.

The company we used actually manufactured and installed the roof. They took 4 days from start to finish with no mess. They also changed the exisiting clear glass in the conservatory frames to new solar heat reflective energy efficient glass called Coolite/Planitherm.

We looked at other options such as changing the roof from poly to glass but that didnt seem to achieve anything apart from noise reduction. Also we thought of boarding the original roof but we had heard of a few disasters from friends and on the net with blocked light and horrendous condensation problems.

We were recommended the Guardian System by friends and after doing the research we feel its the best money we've spent and now we have a new room like an extension we use all of the time albeit full of toys!!!

The company we used were www.guardian-warmroof.co.uk. If you put the address straight into the address bar you go straight to their site. They install all over the country as we are in the midlands but they are now going to change my sisters roof in Surrey. Give them a try we are very pleased.

paschal47 Wed 26-Mar-14 10:57:37

Hi ,we have a conservatory it would freeze you in winter and far too warm in summer , seen a company in news paper and got a solid roof installed about 6 mths ago ,its a fantastic job , we now use the conservatory all the time, i have to say the company we used Cosy roof did a great job and we thought it was good value for money. hope the is of help

Allweather Thu 27-Mar-14 13:25:50

Hello,

I stumbled over this thread and thought I would throw in my penny's worth in. We fabricate and install the Guardian Roof in Yorkshire and have found it to be a very good system. It is the only one that is approved by the LABC (Local Authority Building Control) and this helps with regard to the building regulation application. The only issue you need to be aware of for replacement conservatory roofs is that the footings will need to be up to the standard of an extension, despite the fact that the weight impact of a Guardian Roof is only 5% heavier than a glass roof. However, because the council will regard the replacement of a translucent roof to a solid roof to be the conversion of a conservatory to an extension, the rules change in terms of structure.

Conservatories are currently exempt from building control, which means they could be built on toffee and the council will not mind. Extensions, which a solid roof conservatory falls into, need a minimum set of foundations, either as a strip foundation around the walls of the room or as a slab across its whole base.

It is for these reasons that we take on the organisation of the building control requirements from our customers as we have done it many times before and are well versed in the process and its hurdles. If anyone needs any advice on this, please feel free to contact me. www.allweathergardenrooms.co.uk.

Mark

emmahugs831 Wed 02-Apr-14 23:19:52

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Jolia Sat 12-Apr-14 21:19:01

First of all, going back to the beginning of this thread about inner lining/insulation of an existing conservatory roof, there is a company called Roof Revive that do this (there are many others). I don't know whether this is a good solution. I read a review of it in a Sunday newspaper and it was a tad negative, the author being concerned about moisture gathering between the roof and the insulation.

Over the last couple of years I have been researching this heat/glare/cold problem as we had a large conservatory with a double glazed roof. It was too big and like in many homes, had become a repository for stuff you don't know what to do with. Anyway, we discounted blinds, solar film, Roof Revive, air conditioning. We decided to reduce the size as it was disproportionate to our needs and to go for the solid roof.

We have just had a Guardian Roof fitted and we are pleased. It looks like part of the property and not a bolt on as is usually the case with conservatories. It is much warmer, quieter and more cosy. It hasn't made the room that it is built onto dark as there is still plenty of light from the windows. Also, the ceiling is white with lights embedded. We have one Velux roof window.

There are several layers of insulation - there is a lot of work involved and you need a builder who is experienced in fitting them. Building Regulations is required so you need to add about £300 - £400 for that, and they can stop the work if the foundations are not adequate - they need to be at least 150mm depth. [url=http://www.labc.uk.com/Media/Default/Public%20Documents/labc_Guidance_on_solid_roofs_to_conservatories.pdf]Link[/url].

One other thing - get several quotes. These structures are without doubt expensive and costs vary greatly. Our first quote was £4,000 more than the price we eventually paid. This was by one of dedicated, larger conservatory companies. We bought the roof and employed a self employed builder who the company recommended. Couldn't fault any of it.

It is early days for us but right now I would recommend this roof. Certainly the room is warmer and I am hoping cooler in summer - at least it cannot be worse than it was and we won't have the glare. It's a proper room now - part of the house.

Jolia Sat 12-Apr-14 21:20:47

First of all, going back to the beginning of this thread about inner lining/insulation of an existing conservatory roof, there is a company called Roof Revive that do this (there are many others). I don't know whether this is a good solution. I read a review of it in a Sunday newspaper and it was a tad negative, the author being concerned about moisture gathering between the roof and the insulation.

Over the last couple of years I have been researching this heat/glare/cold problem as we had a large conservatory with a double glazed roof. It was too big and like in many homes, had become a repository for stuff you don't know what to do with. Anyway, we discounted blinds, solar film, Roof Revive, air conditioning. We decided to reduce the size as it was disproportionate to our needs and to go for the solid roof.

We have just had a Guardian Roof fitted and we are pleased. It looks like part of the property and not a bolt on as is usually the case with conservatories. It is much warmer, quieter and more cosy. It hasn't made the room that it is built onto dark as there is still plenty of light from the windows. Also, the ceiling is white with lights embedded. We have one Velux roof window.

There are several layers of insulation - there is a lot of work involved and you need a builder who is experienced in fitting them. Building Regulations is required so you need to add about £300 - £400 for that, and they can stop the work if the foundations are not adequate - they need to be at least 150mm depth. www.labc.uk.com/Media/Default/Public%20Documents/labc_Guidance_on_solid_roofs_to_conservatories.pdf

One other thing - get several quotes. These structures are without doubt expensive and costs vary greatly. Our first quote was £4,000 more than the price we eventually paid. This was by one of dedicated, larger conservatory companies. We bought the roof and employed a self employed builder who the company recommended. Couldn't fault any of it.

It is early days for us but right now I would recommend this roof. Certainly the room is warmer and I am hoping cooler in summer - at least it cannot be worse than it was and we won't have the glare. It's a proper room now - part of the house.

ponyruby2624 Mon 12-May-14 13:01:27

hi has anyone had any problems with their new roofs leaking

marty52 Mon 12-May-14 16:45:43

marty52 Mon 12-May-14 16:48:29

marty52 Mon 12-May-14 16:52:06

Bunbaker Mon 12-May-14 16:58:50

I had a leaflet the other day from a company that installs solid roofs onto existing conservatories. If we knew we were staying in this house it is something I would seriously consider. I don't know how good they are and I'm not allowed to advertise but if you google solid roof they will turn up.

marty52 Mon 12-May-14 16:58:58

marty52 Mon 12-May-14 23:44:55

louisemya Sun 29-Jun-14 11:01:53

JamJimJam Sun 29-Jun-14 14:00:22

It's worth noting that a conservatory with a tiled roof is no longer a conservatory in terms of the building regulations, and will have to be treated as an extension.

Goldilocks3Bears Sat 20-Sep-14 16:54:06

Hello - great answers above but I have a question or two:

1. I have a massive Edwardian dwarf walled conservatory that was plonked on an L-shaped house by the previous owners. The roof goes up to the middle from all four sides. So my question is, if I changed to a tiled replacement roof, would I be able to change it to a lean-to roof, coming down from under my bedroom window?? This would imho give it more of an extension feel than the giveaway pitched shape of an Edwardian roof.

2. Has anyone reading this had a permanent flat roof fitted as I saw that somewhere on the internet too (with a glass skylight)?

Goldi

Nevertoobusytochat Tue 23-Sep-14 17:12:55

louisemya Tue 23-Sep-14 21:46:12

CumbrianRene Thu 02-Oct-14 21:10:27

Read the messages re a tiled conservatory roof and decided we should do that. Back in July 2014 we spoke to a couple of local firms and then rang a firm that advertised in the Daily Mail (or the Mail on Sunday). Diamond Seal UK sent their rep over to see us and we ordered replacement roof panels made from composite materials. We gave the rep a cheque as a deposit on the agreement that it would not be paid into their bank until after their surveyor had been to measure up. That was to give me time to move some money into our current account. However they paid our cheque in immediately. I then cancelled the order under the terms of their contract. Since then I have had more excuses then truth, and 2 cheques, both of which they stopped before they were cleared. Then I was promised a bank transfer by a man who claimed he was the boss, but his promise meant nothing. After advice I sent them a letter by registered post, but it came back marked "addressee gone away". Despite that their freephone sales line is still manned offering to get someone to ring you back. That is unless I call, as my calls are never returned.
Be warned, stay away from Diamond Seal UK

morganareo8 Tue 07-Oct-14 14:08:42

As far as I an concerned the only way to create a liveable conservatory is to change the roof with a light weight insulated tiled roof. Just putting in a ceiling with some insulation above is half the job and you will find its life is limited because pc sheets don't last that long. The conservatoryroofconversionsco.co.uk did ours

Mrsf1tzy Tue 07-Oct-14 22:07:15

Hi, is this still on going with diamond seal? We had them come to us on 17th September and we paid the deposit via bank transfer and have heard nothing since, we've called and 'left messages' and been given the supposed md's email address but no response from that either. We had searched the company and have found no negative reviews but something definitely isn't right. I have now emailed watchdog!

CumbrianRene Sat 18-Oct-14 21:58:19

Any decent joiner should be able to put a ceiling (inner roof) in a conservatory, and I have seen various examples online, Some have plasterboarded following the roof shape and others creat a flat "ceiling". The problem with those is the condensation they get from the original metal frame of the conservatory. Hence other firms remove the metal roof altogether and replace it with an all wooden frame and "tiles" on the outside. That makes the job very expensive though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now