hobs - ceramic or induction

(12 Posts)
ThatVikRinA22 Tue 26-Jan-10 22:48:30

please help me choose!

i have a ceramic hob at min which i dont really like cooking on.

no gas to kitchen so gas hob not an option but am looking at induction hobs....but very expensive!

is it worth it?

whats the difference, in real terms when cooking on them?

does anyone have one?
tia..

wilbur Tue 26-Jan-10 22:51:48

I love my induction so much I would have its children. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it is fabulous, so fast to get things to boil (I tap my toe waiting for gas cookers now) and uses less electricity than ceramic. Love that it is cool v quickly after a boiling pan has been on it, and it is bliss to clean as nothing gets burned on. I would never go back to gas or anything else now. Do check your pans though, we did have to sacrifice our old saucepans as they didn't work on it sad.

ThatVikRinA22 Tue 26-Jan-10 22:57:02

wilbur what make is it? there seems to be a massive variation in price - ive found a baumatic one for just £299 - yet others ive seen are hundreds of pounds. is there a massive difference in quality?

im getting new kitchen worktops so it would make sense to buy one now rather than later but money is a bit tight....im stumped at the massive variation in price!

DaisymooSteiner Tue 26-Jan-10 23:27:04

What about having an LPG gas supply installed so you can have gas? We have no main gas supply in our area so had a pipe run through the wall which connects to two large re-fillable tanks. It wasn't a big job at all to do - 1/2 a day's work for plumber and functions exactly the same as 'normal' gas. Having had an electric hob for years I'm really pleased with it, the hob was also several hundred pounds cheaper than an
induction hob.

luckyblackcat Tue 26-Jan-10 23:31:37

I have a neff induction hob, t'was here when we moved in is around 4 yrs old.

Dislike it intensely.

Had to get rid of my lovely pans.

If you boild a pan with a lid on and remove lid, dripping a tiny bit of condensation onto surface (or heaven forbid a pan boils over a touch) it goes into error mode and turns itself off. Gah.

I miss gas ... <thinks whistfully> ovens, hobs, heating <sigh>

cece Tue 26-Jan-10 23:42:00

We had gas piped into our kitchen so we could have a gas hob. Prior to this had ceramic and hated it. Already had gas central heating so just needed a bit of extra piping to get it to the right place.

ThatVikRinA22 Tue 26-Jan-10 23:42:32

daisy - we have gas just not to the kitchen - would mean digging up my floor, and really dont fancy LPG just for cooking tbh,

im due a new set of pans. mine are really really really falling to bits so thats no biggie - have a ceramic hob at the min and hate it but induction seemed to get great reviews...ill sleep on it. ta tho!

ThatVikRinA22 Tue 26-Jan-10 23:44:54

sorry cece x posted.

i also hate with a passion my ceramic but induction gets good reviews. there seems to be quite a difference between ceramic and induction.

ive already looked at gas - no can do without major upheaval. we only did this kitchen 21/2 years ago so dont fancy re tiling floor.
so its leave the ceramic alone and use it or replace it with induction.

ooooooooooo im crap at decisions!

DaisymooSteiner Wed 27-Jan-10 09:12:23

Honestly, LPG for cooking is exactly the same as 'normal' gas, it's not like a camping stove or somthing. The only difference is that every 8 months or so I have to take a bottle to be re-filled (have two bottles connected so we never run out)

ThatVikRinA22 Wed 27-Jan-10 14:09:37

sorted.....thanks peeps

wilbur Wed 27-Jan-10 18:47:13

Vicar - it's a de dietrich and it was at the pricer end of the spectrum, but not the most expensive by any means. We have 4 zones, which is plenty for us, and it seems very forgiving about spills and drips, the occasional error message, but it's rare. I don;t have experience of other brands though. HTH.

ThatVikRinA22 Wed 27-Jan-10 22:07:09

thanks wilbur.

after trawling the internet for ages last night i found an indesit one with rave reviews for £337! (i got so into it i couldnt sleep!)

the baumatic cheapy one got crap crap reviews, but indesit are made by Hotpoint and the one ive opted for got really good reviews so ive ordered it! its got 4 zones, touch control, am really hoping ive done the right thing. it cant be any worse to cook with than the annoyingly slow ceramic hob ive got now.

the kitchen worktops are all getting replaced, so it just seems sensible to change the much hated ceramic hob now along with them.

i really needed new pans so ive found a set in Argos for £59, ok for induction hobs with good reviews, so am getting them too! ha ha! am i sad to be so excited by this? i fear i am...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now