Is there a difference between Farrow & Ball 'Old White' and 'Bone'?

(42 Posts)
FuckOffDailyMail Thu 27-Aug-09 10:23:22

They look EXACTLY the same on the colour chart. Have looked at it in all different lights and cannot see any difference between them. Am I missing something?

midnightexpress Thu 27-Aug-09 15:59:38

The coverage on F&B paints is just so much better than any of the others. I keep trying to buy cheaper stuff when I'm painting a room, get the match pots and the F&B always comes up looking best. Fired Earth also good (but equally expensive sad).

MillenniumFalcon, where does your talk name come from? It's bothering me (in that it sounds really familiar, but I don't know why. Please put me out of my misery).

starwars

midnightexpress Thu 27-Aug-09 16:04:09

Ah. See I've never seen any of them, but it's obviously seeped into my brain. Thank you.

Metatron Thu 27-Aug-09 16:46:36

NODDY - I have ricecake in my kitchen it is v nice and I have been asked quite a few times what it is. grin

noddyholder Thu 27-Aug-09 16:49:34

I think its fab Have it in bedroom and F&B everywhere else and it really is good.

FuckOffDailyMail Thu 27-Aug-09 17:26:39

am hijacking my own thread here - Noddy do I recall correctly that you have a Fisher and Paykel range cooker?

noddyholder Thu 27-Aug-09 18:26:26

I had all the fisher and p stuff in my old house.Fab!

FuckOffDailyMail Thu 27-Aug-09 20:29:41

Great to hear that F&P is good. Am not liking the Rangemaster I have had delivered (purely on an aesthetical basis). Am thinking of seeing if IC an exchange for an F&P.

noddyholder Thu 27-Aug-09 20:31:20

It was very good and especially nice to look at.The fridge was my baby but the people who bought from us wanted it left exactly as it was and they paid for the pleasure so I left it.

morningpaper Thu 27-Aug-09 21:07:45

Seriously is F&B compatible with children, or should one just stick to Dulux vinyl silk and enjoy a less stressful existence?

civilfawlty Thu 27-Aug-09 21:27:37

course it is. i just wash the marks off the wall.

jamandjerusalem Fri 28-Aug-09 19:19:14

Old White is a really strange one - we have it in living room on walls and woodwork, radiators etc, and it does look different in all lights. My parents have it in their hallway, it looks much greener than ours which seems more grey.

Mind you, whichever way you look at it, it's categorically not anything resembling white wink

One of the reasons I like F&B is that the paint chart is a manageable size - I just pick one or two I like, do a couple of samples and make a decision. Whereas those Dulux colour libraries, with their Warm/Cool blah blah seem to stretch on for miles and confound the hell out of me. Too much like hard work...

autumnscoming Fri 28-Aug-09 19:38:23

i have had every paint colour under the sun but my favourite is Dulux Trade brilliant White in emulsion and high gloss ...lovely

midnightexpress Sat 29-Aug-09 15:41:19

MP, F&B now do a washable emulsion that is child-freindly (or should that be parent-friendly). It's not as beautifully matt as the regular emulsion, but it's not as shiny as a silk finish either.

trixymalixy Sat 29-Aug-09 16:26:43

I have old white in my porch and bone on my kitchen doors and there is practically no difference between them. Lovely colours though.

skysparkle Sun 24-Jun-12 13:24:16

The difference between farrow and ball old white and bone, is that bone is cold and flat and old white is warm and holds light. Old white eggshell is perfect to paint oppressive black beams in a cottage.

GiveTheAnarchistACigarette Sun 24-Jun-12 15:03:06

This thread is 3 years old, I expect OP has decided on a colour by now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now