Roughly how much would a 2 storey extension cost?

(8 Posts)
sweetkitty Fri 08-May-09 16:21:25

We are currently in a 3bed, 3bathroom detached house. Well more of 2 1/2 bedrooms as third bedroom is tiny. House is about 6 years old and we have a largish garden so could extend left, right or to the back. To the left would be easier for access as some other houses have been extended this way but would be limited as we would have to stop a metre before neighbours fence.

In an ideal world I would like, downstairs a small playroom and a utility room, upstairs another bedroom and the third bedroom extended out. My Dad is a plumber so would get him to fit out the utility room for us.

At a rough estimate extension would be 8m x 3m.

Seen a house with enough space for us today and it was 100K above our mortgage at present, DH wants to move but I want to extend.

ChasingSquirrels Fri 08-May-09 16:23:22

I have just been quoted £10k for a 6ft x 10ft single storey extention. Most expensive quote for it was £18k.

Friend was quoted £40k-£80k for a 2 storey extention, probably a bit bigger than yours.

sweetkitty Fri 08-May-09 18:17:55

Thanks I reckon it would be about 60K shock but cheaper than moving.

We are bursting at the seams in this house, DD1 and 2 are sharing a small double and DD3 will get the box room which is just about big enough for a cot and a chest of drawers, it's all their stuff that takes up the room, cannot have a lot of their toys out as their just isn't the room.

Now just have to find a way of affording it, on a fixed rate until next year so won't be before then.

Heated Fri 08-May-09 18:23:57

About £1200 per sq metre was what buider friend said to dh.

ChasingSquirrels Fri 08-May-09 19:49:46

umm, I was told £1,000 psm. Not sure how my 6sm space converts to £10-£18k.

sweetkitty Mon 11-May-09 22:34:13

Spoke to neighbour across roads, he had a one storey extension built not that long ago and it was 20K same dimensions as ours would be, he said it would cost us about 30K.

Surely it's hard to put a price per square metre as it would depend on what work was getting done, i.e bathrooms being moved, walls being knocked down, windows being moved, internal walls being knocked down, electrics being moved and so on

jeanjeannie Tue 12-May-09 08:49:36

DP always rough estimates £1500 per sq metre. On the whole this is a slight over-estimate but it's best to err on the side of caution because under-estimates are a nightmare.

Sweetkitty is right - it is hard to estimate simply because different rooms require different things. Knocking down a supporting wall is going to cost a heck of a lot more than whipping out a plasterboard joining wall.

If prices vary wildly then somewhere in the upper end of the middle is probably where the reality lies. Be ultra cautious of very cheap quotes....they tend to increase over the time of the build and the builder just wants the job - knowing you'll end up paying the full whack as you can't leave a job like that half done!

chimchar Wed 13-May-09 06:59:13

we have been quoted £42k for one a few months ago, similar size to yours.

we are doing it ourselves (not literally building it!!) and the initial actual cost is about £33k, which includes all materials, waste disposal, labour, new roof, new doors, windows, plumbing for new bathroom (but not suite), drainage etc....

it has gone up slightly now because due to planning officer and neighbour, we now have to change the plan and include 2 rsj's, which i think will cost more.

hth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now