How difficult is it to strip paint off wooden windows?

(11 Posts)
Weegle Sun 22-Feb-09 14:45:31

Is it a complete nightmare? We can't decide whether to strip, treat and paint our bay window or replace it. How long would it take to strip? If I got someone in to do it, who would I get (an odd job person?) and how much do you think would be reasonable to pay?

ABetaDad Sun 22-Feb-09 14:53:26

I am assuming this is outside paint?

You can paint a propriary woodstripper on and leave it for a few days. Then more or less peel the paint off in sheets. Then sand, then undercoat twice then gloss paint twice.

If the window is rotten as well you will need to dig out the rotten wood, treat the remainder with a wood preserver, leave the whole thing to dry, then fill and leave to dry, then sand and then paint with undercoat twice and then paint with gloss piant twice. All this after the initial stripping and sanding of course.

It took me 4 weekends last summer to do our garage windows this way.

You could get a quote for a new window to compare and then its a question of how much value you put on your own time.

purepurple Sun 22-Feb-09 14:54:33

if your frames are rotten then replacing will be the best option. stripping back to bare wood is time-consuming and will probably be costly. Can't you just paint over them?

Furball Sun 22-Feb-09 15:06:17

we bought a hot air gun like this one and I have done most skirting boards and door frames with it. It is quick and relatively easy - get a tool like this as it has all different angles, pointy bits.

Does smell though so needs the windows open and you will also need to stop the smoke alarm. (we covered ours with shower caps) - thats if you are doinf it indoors obviously!

ABetaDad Sun 22-Feb-09 15:07:40

Problem with hot air guns is that the glass in the window may crack if you are not careful.

cat64 Sun 22-Feb-09 15:10:45

Message withdrawn

mrsmaidamess Sun 22-Feb-09 15:12:20

Why do you have to strip it all of? I would just sand to provide a key and fill where necessary. Unless it sooo lumpy and awful you don't have a chice.

purepurple Sun 22-Feb-09 15:12:38

and your arms and legs!
I always end up burning myself grin

Weegle Sun 22-Feb-09 15:25:49

Thank you everyone.

There's no rot as far as we can tell. We definitely need to remove the old paint at it hasn't been done for twenty years (I should think at least - we only just moved in) and so is peeling very badly and patches of bare wood are exposed. We want to do inside and out.

Do we need to ensure dry weather? Should we wait till summer?

ABetaDad Sun 22-Feb-09 15:42:29

I would wait for summer if it is North facing window or one overshadowed by trees and generally damp.

If it is south facing I would do it Spring time as painting can be a problem in hot summer sun. You would have to paint early morning if you did it in summer.

Weegle Sun 22-Feb-09 15:52:27

ok, it's south facing. and not at all shaded. Thank you very much for the advice, that's great. Will give it a go in the spring!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now