A bidet - yes or no?

(162 Posts)
Quattrocento Fri 02-Jan-09 16:07:15

Redoing main bathroom and changing things around. Am wondering about a bidet. I would rather like to have one - dd thinks the idea is rather revolting and the boys are keeping well out of the debate (whistling and trying to pretend they did not hear the word bidet).

So then, a bidet, yes or no? Would it put you off the bathroom if you were a hypothetical purchaser?

muggglewump Fri 02-Jan-09 16:46:22

After each wee?

mrsmaidamess Fri 02-Jan-09 16:46:47

Bidets...no. Very 70's, but not in a good way. Plus its so obvious what they are for. I prefer to keep my freshen ups under wraps.

MrsSeanBean Fri 02-Jan-09 16:46:49

I would quite like one, but could not bring myself to use one that was already there. I have always replaced bathroom suites as well as the thought of other people's loos and baths is a bit icky as well. (Yes IA probably BU I know!)

Quattrocento Fri 02-Jan-09 16:48:02

uses of bidets

I am fascinated to learn that some bidets can come with a built in air-drying facility...

MrsSeanBean Fri 02-Jan-09 16:50:26

LOL at 'riding' a bidet!

Hi Quattro, bidets are a common feature here in Italy. So much so that I missed having one when we were living in the UK. I used a plastic bowl blush.
Btw the use is:
you poo
you wipe
you bidet
fantastic for when you have period and need to wash often.
I love bidets

Quattrocento Fri 02-Jan-09 16:56:21

Thanks Franca!

As our resident expert on bidets, can you tell me which way you sit on it? I have always been a back-to-the-wall type of gal, but the wiki article has opened my eyes to another way of doing things entirely ....

Eeek Fri 02-Jan-09 16:57:13

also great for shaving legs if you place it near to the toilet. Sit on loo, put water in bidet and off you go. So much easier!

MrsSeanBean Fri 02-Jan-09 16:57:31

Yes Quattrocento, I was wondering the same thing, if 'riding', it would seem right to face the taps, no?

Hathor Fri 02-Jan-09 16:58:23

start a bogey thread?

bidets are good for children to play with

but embarrassing to explain to your friends when you are a teenager

my mum had one -
never found out if she used it

MrsSeanBean Fri 02-Jan-09 16:58:45

Don't your clothes get in the way / get wet? Or do you undress to 'bidet'? Maybe I am unusual but I don't usually completely disrobe to poo.

Quattrocento Fri 02-Jan-09 17:05:20

apparently you have to sit facing the horse's ears (or towards the taps)

I've also now discovered that you can buy a DIY enema kit along with your bidet. It is called a "shur (sic) shot style gay spray".

I can see why teenagers would be curling up and dying of embarassment, but they are pretty handy.

MrsSeanBean Fri 02-Jan-09 17:07:53

Did you just quickly put that website together Quattro?! Can't believe such gems exist! Still doesn't mention the clothes isshoo though.

Hathor Fri 02-Jan-09 17:08:06

the enema kit or the teenagers are handy?

BlameItOnTheBogey Fri 02-Jan-09 17:08:10

I face the taps. Never occurred to me to face away. How would you see what you were doing?

Yep Quattro, that is my favourite approach (facing the horse'sm ears).
And yes, very good for shaving
And of course for small children to play/

MrsSeanBean, after a poo you can bidet the other way around (not facing the horse's ears), avoiding to undress...

Blu Fri 02-Jan-09 17:10:34

Oh, I would cringe and have it taken out if I moved to a house with a bidet. It just screeches "shitty arse, cheesy nob, clammy fanjo" across your bathroom, really. And what of etiquette? if it's for slooshing after a poo, do you use the bidet in someone else's house...and then use the towel?? I wouldn't have a bidet just in case someone did!

Quattrocento Fri 02-Jan-09 17:12:06

Sorry I am getting overexcited at the prospect of a new bidet (I meant that bidets were handy - not enema kits or teenagers. Enema kits would not get much use here, and teenagers are not very useful at all).

See I've learned that I've been bideting ALL wrong. I wondered why I kept having to twizzle around.

On the clothes thing, I tend to take most of bottom half off. But clearly, I am no expert in this field.

Obviously not Blu: in bidet friendly countries, you don't use other people's bidets casually. You may, if you stay overnight. Bidets get cleaned at least once a day.

(Quattro, you won't regret it. A bidet is for life!)

Quattrocento Fri 02-Jan-09 17:16:39

Ooh, you're putting me off now Franca. Cleaned once a day, eh?

Hmmm.

I'm not too worried about guests using the bidet because of the geography of the house. The main bathroom is upstairs and guests would in principle not be using it.

Hathor Fri 02-Jan-09 17:17:52

Just another thing in the bathroom to clean IMO

BlameItOnTheBogey Fri 02-Jan-09 17:18:48

In our house bidet is in the en suite so no risk of anyone else using it (yuck at the thought).

Sputnik Fri 02-Jan-09 17:18:50

Good grief.
Yes they are for cleaning your smelly British bottoms.
Get over it

SwedesInACape Fri 02-Jan-09 17:19:40

One of the bathrooms in my old house had a bidet. Taking it out was the first thing I had done on moving in. It was more urgent than the avocado coloured suite in the other bathroom to my mind.

We have a Hansgrohe Pharo shower with big overhead showerhead, 6 bodyjets and a handshower attachment that would be long enough to relieve any postnatal tenderness. And our shower tray is massive, so I can shower with 2 tots pootering around with me. hmm I recommend a really really good shower.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now