Soapstone worktops?

(11 Posts)
lastboxoftampons Sun 01-Jun-08 20:26:58

Does anyone have soapstone worktops? How do you feel about them? where can I source them near/in London?

Thank you!

KatyMac Sun 01-Jun-08 22:46:30

Wouldn't they mark easily

I have some soapstone ornaments and the chip & mark all the time (and I'm really not that rough with them)

lastboxoftampons Mon 02-Jun-08 12:56:13

They do scratch, but scratches are easily removed by a bit of sanding and re-oiling. They're non-porous though so won't stain.

KatyMac Mon 02-Jun-08 21:06:50

Really - interesting; not what you would suspect at all

lastboxoftampons Tue 03-Jun-08 12:32:07

Actually, last night during my endless googling smile I read that there are different grades of soapstone as well - so sculptural grade soapstone is a lot softer than architectural grade soapstone, which is what you would use for worktops. It's also heat resistant and is used for fireplace hearths quite a bit. I really think they're beautiful and seem less high maintenance than slate - but can't seem to find them anywhere! Oh, well, thanks for your input! grin

KatyMac Wed 04-Jun-08 19:05:47

Sorry I wouldn't know where to get them from

Have you considered the eco impact of what you buy? eg Granite is thought to be very bad

Walnutpie Fri 29-May-15 16:01:35

Bumping this just in case..

wowfudge Fri 29-May-15 16:03:38

Why have you bumped a thread which is seven years old?

Walnutpie Fri 29-May-15 16:19:01

I would have bumped it if it'd been seven months or seven days old too, because of the content.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Fri 29-May-15 16:27:11

Used to have them - they were great

wowfudge Fri 29-May-15 17:03:12

But you haven't explained what you hope to achieve? confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now