Why is property and renting so much cheaper in West Derby, Liverpool?

(18 Posts)
Shout Sat 01-Mar-08 16:45:31

I'll be returning to the UK in July and need a minimum 3 bed property for my self and 2 sons.I was looking at a 5 mile radius of Crosby and noticed that houses in West Derby are bigger, newer and cheaper in comparison.

Does any one know the reason for this?

Would it also be a nightmare to get from the Wirral to Crosby twice a day?

Lulumama Sat 01-Mar-08 16:53:55

crosby is a nicer area? don;t know about commuting to the wirral though...sorry.

Lulumama Sat 01-Mar-08 16:56:03

ooh, i remember your posting a while ago !smile

lalalonglegs Sat 01-Mar-08 19:47:33

West Derby not a great area. Commuting to Wirral from north Liverpool would be extremely tough in a car - just about doable on train if part of the Wirral you want to reach is on the line to Chester.

Ledodgy Sat 01-Mar-08 19:50:16

Your better off in south Liverpool to commute to the wirral by rail. Why do you want to live near Crosby have you got family there?

Ledodgy Sat 01-Mar-08 19:50:31

*you're

TotalChaos Sat 01-Mar-08 19:53:39

I didn't think West Derby was too bad. You might want to consider Allerton or Childwall, or even parts of the Wirral near to where you are going to be working. I don't think the crosby/wirral commute would be great tbh.

Ledodgy Sat 01-Mar-08 19:57:45

I live in the grassendale/garston area and you can get a train from round the corner to liverpool central and then one straight out to the wirral. You can also get a direct train to Crosby from our station. Come and live by me you know you want to. grin

Shout Sat 01-Mar-08 20:33:04

Thanks for all the posts. My children will be going to school in Crosby so I am looking around that area for somewhere to live.

The housing appears cheaper in The Wirral thats why I mentioned it.

Once I get my children settled than I'll start to look for a job.

Until I get there and view the properties and the distance I suppose I wont really know what is the best option but I like looking. I gathered West Derby wasn't as posh as Formby or Crosby I just wasn't sure if it was still a nice area.

I just wanted to avoid my kids having to long a commute to school if possible.

Its a new start so I want to get it right. I only know 2 other people in the Ormskirk area so I am looking forward to any meet ups and practical tips.

Ledodgy Sun 02-Mar-08 13:24:24

Do they have to go to school in Crosby? They're are some fab schools in south Liverpool too.

Lulumama Sun 02-Mar-08 13:25:45

hope everything goes well with the move !

West Derby is a LOVELY AREA!!! I honestly cannot think why someone would say it is not nice!

I live in West Derby... I am not from Liverpool but have been here for 7 years now and I can honestly say that living in Liverpool is the happiest I have ever been.

It's a quiet area with good amenities and more importantly nice, normal people trying to live quiet, happy lives.

The reason it is cheaper than Crosby is simply that Crosby is one of the most expensive places in the whole of the UK to live. Whereas Liverpool is one of the cheapest.

If you can afford to buy in Croby and that's really where you want your children to go to school then I would recommend you buy in Crosby.

If you are looking for somewhere in North Liverpool as a cheaper alternative to Crosby then West Derby is a great comprimise. It's a lovely area in my opinion, one of the nicest areas in Liverpool. My husband's family are from there.

My dad lives on the Wirral and I would again say if you can afford the nicest areas like Caldy, Heswall, Thornton Hough it's a great place to live... If you can only afford Birkenhead then I would stick to Liverpool.

Friends of mine live in South Liverpool and their middle daughter goes to a school in Croby that have a school bus. It picks up in South Liverpool then North Liverpool then onto Crosby. I think she has to get the bus at about 7am(ish) but at least it's only 1 journey. If you want them to use the train the Train links are much better in South Liverpool. It's mainly buses in North Liverpool.

PLEASE DO FEEL FRE TO GET IN TOUCH IF I CAN HELP YOU AT ALL!

Good Luck with your move.

AllBellyandBoobs Fri 05-Oct-12 15:21:44

You'll find that in nearly all areas of liverpool/merseyside you have good and not so good places to live in very close proximity. I'm in a nice area in south liverpool but i wouldn't choose to live three streets away from where i currently am!

SuperB0F Fri 05-Oct-12 15:29:17

Waterloo is cheap, and is part of Crosby really. I honestly would not look at South Liverpool- you might as well live in Manchester for the travel time. What is your budget, type of property etc?

SuperB0F Fri 05-Oct-12 15:31:59

Also, I wouldn't see West Derby as North Liverpool either, in terms of transport links. Again, it's a long drive through awful traffic, and not exactly handy.

bakingaddict Fri 05-Oct-12 16:07:26

Nothing against West Derby but maybe the cheaper parts of this area are because it borders Croxteth and some of the rough estates.

I think it would be a trek for your kids going to school living there, agree with SuperBOF why not try looking in Waterloo, Seaforth or Litherland. All within reasonable commute to Crosby

auntpetunia Fri 05-Oct-12 17:27:51

well as a west derby born and bred scouser now living in Crosby I feel I have to say West Derby was lovley unfortunately I think its gone a bit down hill! house prices are not that much cheaper then Crosby if you are in West Derby proper ie the old 30s houses around the village and Eaton Road , however there are tonnes of new estates being built around the edges in what is being classed as west derby but i would say are more Croxteth. Lots of new builds on the old Deysbrook barracks and edges of Croxteth Park (old Lord Derby Estate). getting from west derby to Crosby during rush hour will be hell about 40+ minutes along Queens Drive.

Crosby/waterloo is lovley just like west derby used to be, real community feel, great travel links 15 min on train to Central station, and lots of buses and we've got the beach. Feel free to pm me if you want any more info, but i would say look on Rightmove L22 and L23 you will be better off in the long run in Crosby, house prices in West Derby are low because they arent selling 2 in my mums road have been for sale for over a year without viewings , nothing wrong with either house just the area and mum lives in an old well established bit of West Derby.

SuperB0F Fri 05-Oct-12 18:25:18

Totally agree with with auntpetunia (can you tell I live in Waterloo?) grin

Don't underestimate the appeal of the beach either. I couldn't live anywhere else just for that reason.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now