Anyone had any experience of Ripples Bathrooms?

(12 Posts)
Feebs22 Fri 29-Jun-07 12:48:48

Hi Everyone, only just joined but wished I had found this site years ago!

A question for all you out there that have your bathrooms done recently - have you had a quote or had an installation from Ripples Bathrooms and if so how do their prices compare with say Dolpin Bathrooms? I had a Dolphin quote and it was extortionate (£12k for one bathroom and I want to do 2!!) plus the design was pretty uninspirational. Thought I may get someone in from Ripples but do not want to waste my time if they are in a similar price range to Dolphin. Thanks in advance

Justaboutmanaging Sat 07-Jul-07 14:07:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

e634 Thu 26-Jan-12 18:40:41

only just picked up this rather old exchange but can't help commenting.

Really, don't bother with Ripples. They have a lovely showroom and that could be useful to get ideas, and they talk a great talk. As it was, they were several weeks later than they promised, delivered the wrong things, and had an argument about returning some of the stuff because it was wrong, They then play silly games to delay any resolution of the problem.

Sorry, but we really regret having brought from them

Alaska77 Fri 11-May-12 15:56:15

Also only just picked up this old message but feel compelled to chime in!

I wouldn't recommend Ripples. We went to the Reigate branch this year looking for our bathroom and downstairs loo revamped. We'd previously trawled Wickes/Bathstore to no avail sodecided to splash out to get premium products. Also DH and I work full time so we wanted someone to take care of the project for us.

Dealing with Ripples has been stressful every step of the way; they never ever get back to you when they say they're going to, you wait for deliveries only to find they never arrive, when stuff does arrive it's the wrong items, our bath arrived in an enormous wooden crate that wouldn't fit through our (standard sized) front door. The delivery driver refused to take the crate away and DH spent 3 hours sawing it to bits just to dismantle it to get the bath out. Even when we complain and they apologise and promise us the earth, they never come through on all their promises. They have put us in touch with their suppliers to liaise directly when they should have been managing the interaction themselves. They've even lied about our products being 'lost' with their transport company, when subsequent direct conversations between myself and their transport company have proved the products were delivered weeks ago. On one visit to the showroom I enquired about the availability of a unit they told me there was an 8 week lead time. When DH subsequently went in to order the unit they told him it was a 2 week lead time, but guess what, lots of stalling, lies, promises and delays until it arrived after 8 weeks. The wrong configuration, of course, so now needs to be returned and reordered.

Please don't bother with Ripples, they're a waste of money and despite their claims of outstanding customer service, in reality they've never heard of the phrase

Colin12345 Tue 13-Nov-12 18:36:59

As the owner of Ripples Reigate (and Tunbridge Wells & Brighton) you can imagine how disappointed I was to read these comments. We did have some short term problems around that period with a manager that has since been replaced by me. After a lot of effort we have I feel restored the very levels of service my company have now provided many hundreds of customers over many years. We are not perfect, but we do honestly get it right most of the time and I am more than happy to speak to anyone personally who feels in anyway let down by Ripples. Seeking feedback from clients is important and for this reason we have always offered a feedback form on our web page as well as on a postage paid Comment Card that is sent to every client on order. My contact details are cpayne@ripples.ltd.uk or I can be reached in the showroom on 01737 226450.

CovYummyMummy1985 Wed 16-Oct-13 15:00:28

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Mummys10 Sun 14-Dec-14 14:41:32

Please could covyummumummy contact me about Ripples?

Chrann321 Wed 07-Jan-15 17:00:02

Re Ripples - CAVEAT EMPTOR!! Any potential customer should be aware you will be dealing with a franchise. The Winchester branch has had a high turnover of franchisees for whom Ripples will accept no responsibility. Consequently, if goods are not delivered, or are of unsatisfactory quality, you will have no comeback whatsoever if the franchisee goes into liquidation. We have lost many thousands of pounds for which Ripples have shown total disinterest. My advice would be to find a reputable company which will guarantee its service and products. Leave Ripples well alone.

Daisyandpolly Mon 09-Feb-15 12:34:16

I was surprised at the negative comments about Ripples bathrooms. I had one installed by Ripples of Reigate in 2013. From the outset the designer was fantastic. After asking our particular tastes and needs in detail, she visited our house and produced a drawing so we could see how the finished room would look. I was particularly passionate about the type of shower I wanted and was recommended Hansgrohe which is fabulous. My only mistake was letting my husband choose the steel bath. He is far taller than me, so he gets a great bath while I sink! I could have done with a shorter length. Take my advice and both get in the bath if there is a big difference in height between you. Our builder's plumber installed the bathroom and did not follow the tiling instructions properly. He refused to change it and I called Ripples who did a site visit immediately and sorted it out so I got the exact design. I was so pleased with the whole process we wrote to Ripples to thank them. It was a complex room and everything works perfectly.

brumeye Mon 09-Feb-15 13:53:04

Although it's nice to see an old thread come back to life with such effusive praise, I'm afraid I have to say Ripples Winchester were far from helpful for us.

The design was fine, but the fitter they recommended to us was rubbish. Very keen to do the bare minimum, had to be told very firmly to do the tiling as per the design (as he'd initially agreed) and not a slapdash alternative that would have been quicker. A year later, the concealed shower valve leaked due to incorrect fitting.

They also sold us an expensive dansani vanity unit with an awful design that led to the board expanding due to water damage after 3 months. Ripples weren't at all helpful and it took months to convince dansani to replace it.

Not a great experience all round.

Colinnic Fri 13-Feb-15 22:21:15

I was also really surprised by the negative comments about ripples. We bought 3 bathroom suites from ripples tunbridge wells in december 2013 and the service was excellent. Colin who owns the franchise even came to visit us 3 times at home to discuss our requirements as it was too difficult for us to get to the showroom during the week ( I had 2 young kids and a baby on the way and we lived an 1 hour away from the showroom). The staff were also excellent with the children when we went into the showroom which was a nice change to some other places we went to. We have had no problems with anything we have bought and when we did have an issue with something the plumber did wrong (not connected to ripples), ripples helped to resolve it for us even though it wasn't their fault. Cost wise it wasn't much more than we would have paid elsewhere as we did a lot of comparisons and definitely worth it for what we got.

Weesprig Wed 29-Jul-15 17:25:23

I have had an appalling time with Ripples of Tunbridge Wells. We went to this company as we believed them to be one of the best in the country - how wrong we were! We are currently having to shell out thousands AGAIN to have refitted at least one of the 3 en-suites that we wrongly trusted this company with. They sent a mostly inexperienced and unprofessional team to fit - David Simpson who runs the fitting team I believe had only been in the trade a very short while, despite his intro letter stating their 'many years experience' - infact a young lad who was carrying out much of the work asked me if his college assessor could come round and check his work! (To the young lad's credit, considering he was still training, I think his abilities were better than those of his boss!) . I believe Mr. Payne himself had very little knowledge of the plumbing trade when he opened this franchise, and indeed previously worked in the fitness industry as I recall; hence has been singularly unhelpful. (When I had called him in a panic because the floor tiles were terribly uneven, his response was 'I don't know 'cos I don't fit 'em'. Those words I have memorised verbatim because I was so shocked that he said that!) In the bathroom currently being refitted, the tiles have been coming up off the floor and the walls - the professional that I am now using to redo the work has found that the tiles are just not stuck to the surface - he is able to just pull them off with his hands. It has only been the grout holding them together! I have many photos and video evidence of their appalling work. David Simpson and Colin Payne, after having pocketed many tens of thousands of pounds of our hard earned have refused any liability. Actually, Colin has made no attempt to resolve the issue. Hasn't even bothered to visit us and see for himself. They are using as their excuse I think, the fact that it has taken us 'too long' to complain, despite the blurb stating that 'your bathrooms remain problem free for years to come. No cutting corners that can have repercussions for the future' - what a work of fiction!. (In the past few years we have sadly had many bereavements to cope with within our family, and I've been in and out of hospital for health reasons. Though if we had to complain about the cowboys who are constantly letting us down, it would be a full time job! Sadly, we also have full time jobs which means we don't have time to twiddle our thumbs wondering where next to complain!) Simpson begrudgingly turned up to have a look and was infact plain rude, stating that he thought I'd 'hoped it would go wrong'!!! That's like asking someone who's been in a car crash if they'd like to do it all again! And upon asking for a list of the happy clients he'd been bragging about, he refused and stated that I'd 'probably abuse them'!!! shock What a cheek, it is not I who is the cowboy here! Even during the job, Simpson stated that he'd not known so many things to go so wrong on one job, and he thought he must have 'crossed the path of a black cat'! He even went rummaging through our private cupboards in the study whilst I was out - infact, there are just so many terrible issues concerning the jobs done here, I think I should just set up a separate blog and publish all the details and photographs! I must state that we are just not that type of fussy people who complain at the drop of a hat; quite the opposite in fact, very laissez-faire (and just too busy!), but these cowboys have just gone too far.
So Colin, I hope you're enjoying your holiday that our custom has helped pay for, whilst I am at home, yet again having my life disrupted. At least I know it is being done properly this time, by a reliable man who refitted our main family bathroom six or seven years ago and which is still in as good condition today as the day it went in. (Tried to post the video of the tiles just coming away in my fitters hands, but this sadly isn't working - I could post on Facebook if anyone wants to see?)
1st photo shows uneven floor (infact that bit of flooring is up and down all over, so the pic only shows a part of it)
2nd photo shows where they tried to cut corners by crudely hacking away the existing ply, after which they equally crudely tried to abut another piece which of course was never going to have a clean join (all because they couldn't be bothered refitting the coving), and hence in this ensuite, and the one behind it where they did the same thing, it has caused cracking all around the top of the coving. (Mr Simpson continually tries to blame this on my house 'moving' despite having lived here for many years and not having this problem anywhere else! I know all about houses settling after being newly built, and that was all out of the way years ago! Also, professionally fitted bathrooms are able to absorb slight movement)
3rd photo shows tile not stuck to surface - they all just came away in fitters hand (he believes an inferior adhesive possibly been used, not 'cutting corners' surely Mr Simpson?!)
There is so much more I could add; and possibly will by a further blog, or contacting Watchdog or Cowboy Builders etc. One might expect to be ripped off by a backstreet trader, but it's shocking when carried out by a glossy magazine, high-street retailer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now