Help - my dishwasher has stopped working..

(17 Posts)
Jermajesty Sun 27-Nov-16 13:14:27

Went to put it on today and the selector button isn't allowing me to select different wash options and then when I closed the door it didn't start. Power is ok. So any ideas what's happened to cause this? I last used it a few days ago and it was fine. TIA.

PigletJohn Sun 27-Nov-16 13:26:06

it might have a leak. Modern dishwashers have a leak detection float and will not run if it is full of water.

Is it built-in or free-standing?

Jermajesty Sun 27-Nov-16 14:01:50

Thank you PigletJohn.
It's integrated.
How would I know if it has a leak? I can open the door, so it's not obviously full of water at the moment - just full of dirty dishes!

P1nkP0ppy Sun 27-Nov-16 14:04:30

Turn it off for a couple of minutes then turn on and try again?

frenchfancy Sun 27-Nov-16 14:08:45

You may have a blocked impeller. Have you broken any glasses recently? Depending on the model you need to remove the filter and then perhaps unscrew the plate covering the impeller; This should allow you to check if the impeller is running freely.

PigletJohn Sun 27-Nov-16 14:12:51

the water from a leak drips into a collection dish underneath. The leak detector recognises when there is water in this dish. As it is an integrated machine it would be difficult for you to investigate.

Are there any indicator lights on or flashing?

Is the machine worth repairing?

Jermajesty Sun 27-Nov-16 14:13:47

Tried that P1ink - no joy.

Jermajesty Sun 27-Nov-16 14:18:26

No glasses broken recently. Not sure what an impeller is?
I only moved into the flat last week - it's been empty for about 6 months prior to me moving in.
Everything was fine until today when the programme selection button seems to have got stuck on one programme. Then when I went to shut the door it wouldn't start.
No flashing lights. Power light is fine.
I'll take a pic and try and post it.

Jermajesty Sun 27-Nov-16 14:21:41

It's stuck on that programme :

Jermajesty Sun 27-Nov-16 14:23:34

The machine looks in good nick and the flat is only 8 years old so I'd say yes it is worth repairing. (Having never had a dishwasher before though what's their expected lifespan?)

FrayedHem Sun 27-Nov-16 14:32:15

My dishwasher has a similar intermittent fault. I've found (by trial and error) if I hold the power button and the program button down simultaneously for a good few seconds, all the lights start flashing. I then switch it off and on and it has usually cleared the fault.

Jermajesty Sun 27-Nov-16 14:46:11

Ooooh Frayed that seems to have worked - at least it's doing something! I'll report back once the cycle has finished. Thank you everyone!

FrayedHem Sun 27-Nov-16 14:51:43

Hope it works! I've been told it is likely a problem on the PCB. It probably needs something doing to fix permanently, but the button pressing gets me by for now.

Jermajesty Sun 27-Nov-16 14:55:24

PCB?
As you have probably gathered I'm new to dishwasher ownership!

FrayedHem Sun 27-Nov-16 15:02:18

Sorry, Printed Circuit Board (the electronic "brain" of the dishwasher as it were). It may be repairable (loose wire etc), or you could need a whole new PCB which can vary wildly in price according to the make & model.

Jermajesty Sun 27-Nov-16 16:24:21

All dishes washed, hurrah!

Jermajesty Sun 27-Nov-16 16:24:37

Thanks again everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now